Possible May Ride/Camp Out?

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Canuman, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of putting together a casual ride and camp-out for one of the weekends in May. I'd like to base it from my place in northeast Vermont. There is a wide variety of terrain here, from straight road biking to dual-sport to some challenging single-track. I'd likely have my buddy Big E take the hard-core single-trackers out to bust up their bodywork.

Here's what's available: free camping and free firewood for about 20-30 riders.

Some parking for trailers if anyone needs to go that route.

I'd rent a porta-potty for the weekend. If anyone is interested, please post up with numbers of riders and best dates. I'll need to get the brush hog out and trim up the tenting areas.

The ride will be second weekend in May. Arrive on the 11th before 11:00 pm or before 9:30 am on the 12th. Saturday will be a longish ride. There are three variants: 100 mile down and dirty small bike, 200 mile dual-sport big bike friendly (mostly gravel,) and a pure road loop that can be either 230 or 330 miles. Maps of second two routes are posted on page 2. GPX files and the starting location are available if you PM me with an email address.

Rider list is in post #26
  2. sailer

sailer trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer:
    when in May where you think ?

I know there is that Bershire ride on the 20th

where you think early in the month? hopefully :wink:
  3. P 0 P E Y E

P 0 P E Y E Bald rider

Oddometer:
    Darn jammed up in may.

Your invitation is greatly appreciated. I'll keep en eye on this thread.

I have some family near Bradford btw.
  4. Canuman

Oddometer:
    The weather's looking pretty good for early spring riding, Phil. I'd say first or second weekend. Most people already have Mem Day plans. Even if the WX sucks, there's plenty that can be done close to the Palace and we can return to a roaring fire. I'll let you camp in the spare room or the cabin, as I know you prefer not to tent. One could waste a day or two on gravel and dirt here and not be more than 70 miles from base.

There are a couple of guys that are hard-core single trackers that I can round up if people want to get really dirty.
  5. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you think my son will be pissed if I go to the campout instead of his college graduation?:eek1
  6. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    He'll get over it.:pot
  7. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Get him a bike as a graduation present!
  8. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is A-1 on my list but SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED is worried about losing her baby. What she doesn't get is that if they are destined to ride, starting them young, with supervision can produce safer riders. Going from zero to crotch rocket with a side order of early twenties testosterone can be trouble.:deal
  9. Canuman

Oddometer:
    My son's been ATTGATT since the age of 8, and has a little bike that he pops around on on the property at 11 and a HALF. (Emphasis his.) I agree completely -- better to have them aware of the responsibilities and risks than have 'em slap down on a crotch rocket for their first machine. Nice KLR or DRZ may fit the bill. . .
  10. Noreaster

Noreaster Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer:
    So..are plans firming up on this shindig?
  11. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Plans could firm up if anyone signed. Hell, we're here all week. Try the veal. . . The roads are going to be here, and the mountains erode but slowly. I wouldn't give the firewood more than another year, however.

I used to be on the board of Trout River Brewing, and could perhaps throw my weight around a bit there, if that helps.
  12. sailer

Oddometer:
    :photog

I will ABSOLUTLY take you up on the cabin. :clap

either of the 1st two weekend in may will work.
    I'm good with dirt roads or single track stuff, whatever the group wants to do. :freaky
  13. Canuman

Oddometer:
    One on the list. Hello, Sailer.
  14. NewHampWoodsRider

NewHampWoodsRider Tag Captor

Oddometer:
    Definitely interested, have to finalize some plans for the month of May first.

Trout river brewing eh? :freaky
  15. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    After my ride through VT the week following Hurricane Irene I have to disagree on this!:eek1
  16. Noreaster

Noreaster Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer:
    Ok

IN

For the first weekend of May.
  17. Vt-Stromer

Vt-Stromer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm up for it depending on the final date.
  18. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Hell, Irene didn't take much off the top. Plenty off the sides, though.

I've made a bold executive decision. The ride will be second weekend in May. Arrive on the 11th before 11:00 pm or before 9:30 am on the 12th. My interest is in a nice day and a half of dual-sporting, although we will accommodate both strict pavement riders and those that wish to get seriously muddy. There's a central location for lunch Saturday where all three types of riders could meet.

For those coming northbound, I highly recommend the Miss Lyndonville Diner, open 'till 9:00 on Fridays. If they are closed, the Lyndonville House of Pizza is open until 11:00. Both are good value and friendly.

Saturday dinner is pretty much BYO. I can spark up the barbie, as there's good sources for both hand-cut steaks and lobstah within seven miles. For those wishing to dine out, there are both Chinese and a good take-out sandwich/pizza joint within the same distance. Gas is available in either direction, as are groceries.

The Saturday BS-a-thon will occur around the fire between about 7:00 until the last survivor drops. A four-hour Sunday ride is in order. It would be good to have people on the road between 2:00 and 3:00 pm, as that would give most interested parties plenty of time to get back and showered up for Monday.

For those that pm me, I'll supply either a street address or coordinates for the secret location of the Palace of the People. A little pre-running is in order, but I can have GPS tracks for the routes before the event.
  19. sailer

Oddometer:
    sounds good to me :thumbup
  20. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Oh, yeah: please bring something to sit on. This could be a camping chair, a folding chair, a milk crate, an Actionpacker, or my own favorite, a five or six gallon plastic pail with a Gamma Seal lid. If there's enough interest, we could do a very short workshop on making this rafting favorite (under a twenty all up) adaptable to motorcycle use. Dead dry and the best seat in the bush.