Rider Killed in Paso Robles

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by AceRph, May 10, 2006.

1. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    I had heard about this accident, but no details until today. I've met his pretty, young wife. Pregnant. Terrible tragedy.

Be careful out there.

Investigators on Tuesday continued looking into the crash that killed motorcyclist Paul Clem. Police say Clem, 27, was traveling north on Creston Road about 6:30 p.m. Monday when his Honda motorcycle was struck by Kathleen Burkey of Paso Robles as she turned her Chevrolet sedan left onto Scott Street. Clem died at the scene. Burkey, 50, was treated by paramedics for minor injuries and was released.

Officers at the scene said it did not appear Burkey had been drinking. A motorcycle helmet was found near the wreckage, said police spokesman Lt. Robert Burton, but it was unclear whether Clem was wearing it at the time of the collision.

Burkey has not been cited in the crash. An investigation into whether she crossed in front of the motorcyclist is expected to conclude later this week.

Clem is survived by wife Desarey Clem of Paso Robles and parents Frank and Nancy Clem of Shandon. The couple were expecting their first child, sister-in-law Dannielle Lawley said Tuesday night.
  2. Metal Doc

Metal Doc Duc addicted

Oddometer:
    That is sad and my prayers go out to the family.

The investigation is still ongoing?
  3. ooweel

ooweel Throwing wrenches one at a time

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear it had such a terrible outcome. Did they mention if the cage driver was going to be tested for drugs or alcohol?

00weel
  4. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
    Damn - I hate to to hear about this stuff.

My thoughts are with the family

Ride safe

dick
  5. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    Details on the front page of today's SLO Tribune.

Motorcyclist killed in Paso was soon to be a dad

Longtime North County resident Paul Michael Clem, 27, had found out just days before Monday's fatal wreck that his wife was six weeks pregnant

By Leslie Parrilla
    lparrilla@thetribunenews.com

Paul Michael Clem had just found out he was going to be a father.

His wife of two years, Desarey, 18, had received confirmation from her doctor that she was six weeks pregnant -- only days before he died in a motorcycle wreck Monday.

"He was just having a nice drive, happy that he had the baby on the way, a nice wife, a beautiful day," his mother, Nancy Lawrence, of Shandon recalled. "I've never seen a happier father."

The 27-year-old was riding north on Creston Road about 6:30 p.m. when his Honda motorcycle collided with a Chevrolet sedan driven by Kathleen Burkey of Paso Robles as she turned left onto Scott Street. Police are still investigating the wreck.

Clem had recently purchased the helmet and leather jacket found at the scene for his May 2 birthday. Paso Robles police have since determined that Clem had been wearing the helmet, but it came off in the collision.

"He had just bought it and wanted to show it off," Lawrence said of her second son, who always wanted to be a race-car driver. "He used to love to go to the beach, go camping, he liked the outdoors. He just liked doing things outdoors and in general, riding."

Clem, who grew up in Shandon and lived in Paso Robles, had worked as a truck driver since 2000, Lawrence said.

"He had a heart of gold," Lawrence said. "He was a hard-exterior-type person. I guess the best way to put it is he was a truck driver, attitude, mouth and all."

Desarey Clem, who recently began working a clerical job at Atascadero State Hospital, is uncertain whether she'll return to work, Lawrence said.

"We're hoping she's strong," Lawrence said.

Lawrence said the family can't yet afford to pay for funeral expenses and are concerned about money to support their son's unborn child. They are hoping to get support through a memorial fund set up at Mid-State Bank & Trust.

The last time Lawrence talked to her son was when Clem called to tell her and his father, Frank Lawrence, that he was going to be a dad.

She missed a final chance to talk to him, she recalled, crying.

"He called me at 2:15 p.m. Monday and I was so busy I didn't answer the phone, and the accident happened at 6:30 p.m.," Lawrence said.

Clem was born in Port Hueneme, oddly enough, on Scott Street.

"He was born on a Scott Street and he died on Scott Street," Lawrence said.

How to help

You can donate money to the Paul Michael Clem Memorial Fund at any Mid-State Bank & Trust branch.
  6. BUBB

BUBB lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer:
    Very sad - there is no making up for what his widow and child will miss.
  7. wedgeman

wedgeman ...finding 1000 happy warriors

Oddometer:
    something sounnds very strange here..

the vehicle was turning LEFT ONTO SCOTTS ST. (from creston rd).

If you were turning left onto scotts, then you HAVE to be going south, crossing Creston (ie., crossing the path of someone who is traveling northbound)..

googleage map

makes you wonder why it's questioned automatically as if the biker is at fault... :dunno unless there was redlight and he ran it.....
  8. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    that's a young bride, now widow. RIP

9. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    No light there. Scott St does not cross Creston Rd. Two lanes either direction on Creston. Left turn lane only on the southbound side.