Motoflyfishing

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by doorman, Jun 8, 2013.

1. doorman

doorman Aimless

Oddometer:
    I've decided to teach myself to fly fish. My wife is away for work for the next 3 months, which leaves me a great deal of free time, so I figure what better time to learn. So far the only practice I've had is casting in the yard.

Today the weather was nice, so I threw the rod and some flies in a backpack and I was on my way.

[​IMG]

First stop Duncan Creek in Chippewa Falls

[​IMG]

Couldn't find any fish at the first stop. Bummer.

I did find this cool bridge while looking for spots though

[​IMG]

View from the top

[​IMG]

Next stop is the Rod and Gun Club park in Eau Claire. I was told the ponds here are stocked with rainbows.

Forgot to get a picture of the pond, as I was too busy trying not to look like a fool flailing my line around. Missed a few fish, and finally caught this guy

[​IMG]

Woohoo first trout ever on a fly rod:clap. Put up an excellent fight too.

Missed one more then called it a day. Got to get better at not leaving so much slack out. Oh well, I'm pleased with my first time out.
  2. SplitRock

SplitRock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work taking the plunge into fly fishing. I need to get back into some fishing on the North Shore streams. Pretty different from my past fishing, but a 30 minute ride up the shore gets you to several nice streams. Good luck !

:beer Brent
  3. doc4216

doc4216 Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer:
    Awesome job! Good looking fish also. My dad fly fishes in Pa and he loves it!
  4. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just in case your wife reads this you might want to throw in a sentence or two of how much you miss here while you are out riding the bike and fly fishing. Just saying! Nice bike and fish.
    S391, EMFL and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. wolfmoritz

wolfmoritz n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, that's one of my favorite ways to get out and fly fish. I figure if I don't catch anything (more often than not the case), at least I had a great ride. Plus, I get to poke around and explore the little fishing holes along the backroads of the McKenzie here in Oregon.

[​IMG]
    feldercarb, S391, TigerTrout and 4 others like this.
  6. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff!
  7. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Delightfully Altered

Oddometer:
    Very cool !

I take the easy route in comparison, a collapsable casting pole with live leafworms in a little styrofoam worm box in my saddlebags at all times.

Never know when ya might stumble upon a small lake full of hungry guy's ? :evil

Beware if you head about 75 mile NE......they get kinda big and toothy out that-a-ways ! :lol3

[​IMG]
  8. Creeker747

Creeker747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the title / name for these two great past times. Haven't MotoFlyFished yet, but I hope to this year. Are you going to be keep this post current with your progress? And, does anyone know if there are any threads out there on this topic?

Thanks
    S391 likes this.
  9. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are some of the better streams/rivers close to Grand Marais,MN? I have had decent luck on the Brule River right by Nanibijou Lodge. Any others you would share. Will be in that area all of July & August.

My past fly-fishing has been in Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and the best place of all I have been to is Alaska, that place will spoil you. Really need to put my 5 piece on the GS and fish some, keep saying I will do that here in TX and things seem to come up. There are some beautiful rivers in the TX Hill Country for those not familiar with TX, great in winter.
    ssilliman likes this.
  10. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Delightfully Altered

Oddometer:
    I hope he keeps updating also. Maybe we should get some sorta Motofishing thread going somewhere ?

Im to impatient to go the flyfishing route, having done that many years ago, but with the big variety of collapsible casting poles and compact reels out there now, a guy can put together a fishing rig with bait that hardly takes up half the room of a medium fanny pack, as long as your staying with smaller fish.

It is quite a hoot to stop at some outta the way little lake to take a break and cast a while, only to find yourself all worn out after a 102 fish catch and release session that lasted for 2 hours. :D
    Bodhi65 likes this.
  11. doorman

doorman Aimless

Oddometer:
    Cool to see some other folks with the same two interests. I think riding and fishing are a perfect fit. I will keep this updated as I get out more. If anyone wants to chime in with tips or tricks, or share their own pictures feel free.

It's been raining pretty much all day here in Eau Claire, but I managed to get out for about an hour.

Here is the pond I tried today

[​IMG]
    Pretty scummy

I recently bought some cheap frogg togg rain gear and so far have been loving it. It poured pretty good on the way to the pond, but I stayed dry.

Got set up and on the second cast I missed a strike. Dang. Missed two more and moved to the other side of the pond.

Hooked this guy right away
    [​IMG]

Then for the life of me I couldn't get the fly to float anymore. I switched to a few different flies, but the fish just weren't showing near the interest as they were in the fist fly. Missed one more and then decided to leave.

Anyone have any tips for keeping the flies afloat? After maybe 10 casts they get so soaked they won't stay up. I was told chapstick works, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Had a good time nevertheless.

Hopefully I will be able to take some trips to the Driftless area soon and try some of the streams there. I still think I need a lot of practice though.
    feldercarb, S391 and 5131dan like this.
  12. Tebpac

Tebpac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two great past times! Thought about doing the same but I'm usually with other riders. I'm fortunate to have places close by to fish. I am thinking of getting a rod that breaks down into 4 sections so it will be easier to pack. Keep posting!
  13. doorman

doorman Aimless

Oddometer:
    The rod I'm using is a 9' redington that breaks into 4 pieces, and has a real nice case. Perfect for carrying on the bike.
    S391 and dsimmo like this.
  14. dickensheets

dickensheets smprparatus

Oddometer:

When the fly gets soggy stop and do several false casts.
    Bodhi65 likes this.
  15. Kelly_O

Kelly_O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any fly shop will have fly floatant. When you apply it, run your fingers up the tippet a foot or so to ensure that your tippet isn't pulling your fly under the surface. Thanks for the pics, Kelly.
    Bodhi65 likes this.
  16. vwlandon

vwlandon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yea. you can even get fly floatant at walmart if thats more convenient. i do alot of motoflyfishing here in PA and i love it. just have to not give up and keep practicing. its tough sometimes:beer
  17. Creeker747

Creeker747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are you choosing your rig set up?

It sounds like your wanting the fish to strike a fly on the surface? I am no expert, but I have found that this happens when a recent hatch has occurred that will float on the surface. Otherwise, one is better off trying a submerged rig and/or both.

Also, I would like to know how others go into a new area and set their rig up. I know hard cores would take a look at the current hatches and tie up their own fly. I don't believe I would get to that level of sport.
  18. Vanjoe

Vanjoe n00b

Oddometer:
    Great topic! Flyfishing AND catching nice fish, riding the bike to do it, and wife gone for 3 months!
    I am too late to add my advice but will. When I got into flyfishing, I also practiced in the yard with a piece of tape on the end of the tippet. It was pretty easy until I went fishing and put a fly on..... when the line came back for the backcast, I realized there was a hook coming at me!!!!! Took awhile to stop ducking. So my advice would be to practice with a hook on.
    Great fish for a first time out!!!! I have yet to get out this year and its killing me.
  19. FlyFishJeff

FlyFishJeff Gimme Three Steps

Oddometer:
    I love flyfishing both freshwater and saltwater. Sadly, the demands of family life have limited my fishing trips to dedicated vacations. Before the kids came along, I would regularly spend an entire weekend day flyfishing for trout.

I recently attended the Eastern Vstrom gathering at the IronHorse Motorcycle Lodge in the Smoky Mountains, and I took the flyfishing gear along. What an awesome place! I rode the world-famous twisty roads on Thursday and Friday, and I found a beautiful spot to wet a line on Saturday.

I have aquired a lot of very nice flyfishing gear over the years, but I picked up an LL Bean travel rod combo (two complete outfits, fly and spinning rods and reels in one small package) for motoflyfishing. I have to say that the fly rod and reel far exceeded my expectations for the price; great balance and feel.

Here are a few pics from the trip:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    feldercarb, S391, 5131dan and 2 others like this.
  20. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    last Saturday on the St Joe river, between St Regis Mt and Avery Id
    [​IMG]
    S391 and bricker18 like this.