Affordable dual sport two up tourer

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Halky, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Halky

Halky Σερ

Oddometer:
    Isn't that a nice, long title? :D

Well, I've sold my old KLE and I'm looking for a bike to replace it. What I'm looking for is a machine that can first and foremost handle my big ol' self (5'10-11 and 200 pounds with fortunately long legs) and my girl (pretty average measurements) rather comfortably.

Other than that I'd welcome a powerful machine. My previous bike was a little slow being only a 500cc inline twin so I'm obviously looking for something more powerful than that. Constant tomfoolery at break-neck speeds isn't my thing (other than the occasional crazy moment here and there and of course casual overtaking) so I'd rather have plenty of useful low-midrange torque rather than grand HP figures and devilish top speed numbers.

Now here's the catch. I'd much like to have the option to opt out of the tarmac and right into a trail whenever I'm touring on the bike (pretty much always two up), so something that can genuinely handle dirt (and more) would be ideal.

So, summing up. Comfortable two up, fast/powerful enough to tackle the long highways and moderate to good off road capability (the streets here aren't exactly streetbike friendly, either).

Of course, budget's always an issue. And let me nip the "get a v-strom" thing in the bud, it's outta my price range (marginally, but still, wouldn't be my first choice, anyway).

Now, I've of course tried a varied selection of bikes, so bear with me while I explain why most of them don't really work for me.

Africa twin. Nice, seemed steady and with a good riding position, seemed quite light to me too. Bad things: It's bloody uncomfortable (excruciatingly so) two up and it's S-L-O-W. Tried it back to back with a loaner transalp I've been riding and the TA seemed a lot nippier and quite faster in the long run as well. So, however "cult" and legendary the @ might be, it's a definite no-go for me.

The single cylinders. Aprilia pegaso, BMW F650GS, KLR650, DR650. The first two were gutless and had the worst exhaust note I've ever heard in a machine, sounded like castrated nose trimmers. Plus I found them a little cramped and both seemed low, with little ground clearance, compared to the rest.
    The KLR and DR were on the uncomfortably tall side and, like the aforementioned duo, they seemed to struggle and moan when faced with long miles on the highway. Plus, ugly, dated and disappointing (for me, please don't flame my preferences).

The Transalps. Well, I haven't written those off completely, to be honest. They are indeed quite slow and handling is a little lazy, found them really softly sprung and aren't the most exciting of machines, but they are bloody reliable, comfortable enough, stable enough at reasonable highway speeds, good shielding from the elements and seem to age gracefully. However, the above pertain to the older, 600 version.
    The 650 variety I didn't really click with. Despite being a touch faster, they seem to show corrosion way faster, the plastics seem too fragile compared to the older ones and they don't really scream quality to me.

While I haven't tried them on for size yet, I am considering the bigger trailies. I quite like the mk1 Varaderos and the 885i/955i Tigers and it's only those two that stand out to me as viable choices. However, while obviously extremely comfortable, fast and able to carry everything including the kitchen sink, I suspect they'd leave a lot to be desired in the rough stuff, would be hard to handle in any given situation and the mileage, especially in the varadero would kill my wallet in the first three months of ownership! Still, I'd love to hear your opinions on them, especially the Tiger, and even more so on the fuel injected 885i.

Apart from those, considering I'm looking for a bike mainly for touring duties (although being my only means of transportation it will have its city duties as well) I have spent some time looking (and lusting after) the wonderful Triumph sprint ST, but I'm afraid that its non-existant dirt capabilities would make it suffer, even on the rough and pothole strewn tarmac that is our roads over here.

So, I'm asking for your suggestions! Any help, opinions would be greatly appreciated. And if you're reading this, kudos for reading the whole thing! Sorry...
  2. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Tiger 800XC would be perfect fit for you, except the word "affordable" doesn't really bode well here. But, it's an awesome machine none the less.
  3. NickBrewer3

NickBrewer3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might look for an older Yamaha TDM model...
  4. Halky

Halky Σερ

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, sorry about that, I should've mentioned that my budget tops out at a little under 2.500€, so that doesn't get me even close to a Tiger 800.

As for the TDM's, I can afford pretty much any 850 but not but a few... let's say problematic 900's. The former I did not like at all, and the engine simply hanging off the frame without a hint of protection doesn't really make it an ideal choice for rough terrain. Plus, motor issues are extremely common with the 850's and I wouldn't trust a second hand one.
  5. vivo

vivo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aprilia Caponord. Its good two up, I had one that I paid $4100.00 and it had only 2000 miles on it! You might not find that kind of deal but I think the bike might work for you? Vstrom is an option too...

Vivo
  6. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is an extremely hard range of requirements to satisfy given the budget and dislikes of the bikes already dismissed.

Have you considered a decent "street bike" for 2 up road duty and another cheap dirt bike?

I don't think you will find utopia at that price range and requirements, otherwise the rest of us would be riding it.
  7. pizzaman383

pizzaman383 Black 2004 955i

Oddometer:
    I think the Tiger 955i is exactly what you're describing. Used prices are quite reasonable and they're readily available parts. I took my stock 955i on some really rutted dirt roads and straight-forward single tracks; it can do it if you have experience and muscle to handle the weight. You'll want to have stronger springs for 2-up and that pretty much demands a suspension upgrade.

I upgraded my suspension to have progressive front springs/emulators and a Hagon rear shock with a progressive spring. These changes keep the softish (more like a dirt-bike) suspension feel while bringing better on-road behavior. I think it made a good-handling bike even better! I've ridden 2-up with my wife and kids and find it to be a solid performer.
  8. rednax

rednax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Yamaha 900 Diversion model -98 ( if I remember correctly) and I think it´s a very good machine. Still a lot of them around, cheap and very reliable. Not the fastest thing or very beautiful, but certainly comfortable and strong enough for two up and lots of stuff touring if you don´t try offroading he he...:lol3
  9. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buell ulysses, bags of power, super comfort for 2up and cost 4k.
  10. surlywill

surlywill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Vstrom fits the bill as well as most. There is no magic bike. Pick a couple of must have options and live with the rest. Vstrom's are inexpensive, reliable rides, 650 or 1000....
  11. Halky

Halky Σερ

Oddometer:
    I rode a couple of them. Seemed ok, spoked wheels were a big plus for the rough stuff, though they seem to lack a bit of ground clearance, the front wheel isn't a 21" and seem to be prone to some electrical failures. If I recall correctly an electrical component is too close to the exhausts and gets fried pretty often, although I'm not 100% certain that's the case. I'll try and ride one for a bit longer.

The problem is that with the streets over here, the two worlds pretty much melt into one when you decide to take a trip and a "do-it-all" bike would be way better than, say, a sport tourer. Plus a dirtbike can't really tour two up, let alone comfortably.

The Tiger seemed to be my first choice, but their smaller front wheel, their weight, especially up high and their power don't seem to make them much use on the rough stuff, especially two up. That's pretty much all that's keeping me from buying one.

The old divvies are nice bikes, granted, but if I were to to the sport tourer way I'd definitely get the Triumph sprint st, which is a kind of a dream bike. Plus, I'd prefer something with EFI, though it's not a dealbreaker.

Apart from the fact that I find them ugly (sorry...) there's literally -one- in the used market and it's way out of my budget.

As I said in my first post, the strom is out of my budget, but even if it wasn't I wouldn't pick it. I tried a few, and while they're good all rounders, I'd really think twice (and some) before getting into rougher roads on them. Smaller front wheel, exposed "belly", unwieldy mass/weight, small ground clearance and iffy suspension and brakes were my gripes with them. Sure, they've got the power and comfort but to me, that was about it.

I do realize that there are but a few choices for my requirements out there and they're way out of my budget. If that wasn't an issue, I'd get a KTM990 or a BWM R1200GS and be done with it completely, but alas, that's not the case.

So, it seems compromise is the name of the game here, and the way I see it (considering my budget), I either get the sport tourer and wave bye-bye to the rough stuff entirely or I compromise on power and get a transalp as a reliable little true all-rounder (with a few mods of course, especially suspension) and make due with what I can afford. And of course the Tiger seems to be kind of a wildcard choice, with the least compromise...
  12. scoutDad

scoutDad IBA#203

Oddometer:
    With the stated price restriction and other requirements, the Tiger is one of the few bikes that will qualify.

I had a 2006 955i and it was a great bike. Factory bags are pretty good, factory seat is Ok, but I added an aftermarket unit. I added some Touratech engine guards to protect the engine/tank in case of a tip over and a Wilburs shock to lower it a bit and tighten up the rear end for two up riding.

Worked great for two up with my wife on the road and on dirt roads. Solo, it was capable of nastier dirt roads with a change to more agressive tires. It was more comfortable than the 02 R1150GS I used to have and the engine was a lot more powerful and much smoother. The only issue is minor turbulence from the fairing at high speeds, but that can be cured in the aftermarket with a different screen and tank panniers.

Since many riders looking for a bike in that class are drinking the blue Koolaid and want nothing but a Beemer, the prices for lightly used Tiger's are very low compared to the bike's capabilities and value.

I sold mine to go with a more street oriented two up bike and add a more dirt oriented dual sport bike. If I had to be down to one bike for both, I would probably be back on a Tiger.
  13. Halky

Halky Σερ

Oddometer:
    Good to hear the Tiger's a good candidate, seems to be really close to what I need and at the right budget, too. Quick question, though. Would perhaps an older 885i (not the steamer) work better in those situations? My choices so far include one 955i which of course is more expensive (which also means the suspension mods are gonna have to wait a while) and 3 or 4 885i's which are cheaper and I can mod outright with the money left. I don't care much about the difference in power as long as I don't compromise anything else.
  14. kmroxo

kmroxo Reno Rider

Oddometer:
    Can you find an older BMW R1100GS in that price range over there?
  15. scoutDad

scoutDad IBA#203

Oddometer:
    No direct experience with the 885, but some riders that are biased to off pavement riding like the older ones for the spoked wheels. I never had an issue with the cast wheels on my 955, but I did not try to single track it in the rocks either.

I think the 885 models had some starter issues at higher mileage, but the fixes are documented online. My 955 was on 06, which is the only year of 955 Tigers that got the upgrade to the 1050 lower end and tranny...basically all the advances of the 1050 with a 955 top end.

Any of the "girlie" Tigers are going to need engine/tank protection bars to keep tip overs from damaging the tank. They also need upgrades to metal connectors on the fuel lines to replace the problematic OEM plastic units. And if you are doing off road on it, it will need a better skid plate than the stock one. But most of the bikes I see for sale have most of these upgrades already done.

My experience with buying and fixing up used bikes over the last 40 years has been that they all need some work, no matter how good they look in the driveway. Whether it is repairs or personal preference modifications, having money left in the budget for such things is a good idea. So, if buying a 955 does not leave you with any bike budget left over, going with an 855 and having the funds to fix and personalize it seems like a better plan.

Hope that helps.
  16. Halky

Halky Σερ

Oddometer:
    There are a couple but very high miles and a tad too tall for me, which, coupled with the weight is a no-go.

Thank you, that did help! I'll try and negotiate a price for a 955i I found and if it goes ok I'm probably going to get it. I still have to try it on for size before, though. Based on cycle-ergo.com the seat height on these is 875mm but from various other sources online it seems to be adjustable from 840-860mm. If the latter's the case I'll be more than fine, if the former's valid though I'm gonna have to think a little more about it, I'd really prefer to be sure-footed on such a heavy machine.
  17. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seat height is only when the bike has nothing on it. All will get lower when you put weight on the bike, especially 2 up. Something to consider.
  18. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Either the Tiger 955i or Vstrom 1000 seem like the best options and are direct competitors in most respects. Do you prefer 3 cylinders or 2?
  19. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    My wife says the our XB12X is more comfortable than any Goldwing we've had.
  20. Halky

Halky Σερ

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies, but I've found a really good Varadero and snatched it up today! Here's my beastie! I call him Moby Dick! :D

[​IMG]