HyperPro or RaceTech as alternatives to Ohlins?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Alexol, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Alexol

Alexol Chronic Farkoholic

Oddometer:
    South La., where I-10 has a curve. One curve.
    When I put Ohlins on my '06 GS, I ordered what was supposed to be stock, but turned out to be 1/2" longer. I've had them on several bikes and been happy with them.

That 1/2" plus a Russell adds quite a bit to the overall height, and I can only get one foot solidly planted at a time. Not a big deal for the street, but recently going offroad (with a Sargent instead of Russell seat) and being an offroad virgin, I found that when I had to put my feet down, I was in trouble anyway, and really needed better stability.

Short version, I'd like to put shorter shocks on the bike, and sell my existing pair of Ohlins to offset the cost as much as possible.

So, the question is: Ohlins (yet again, but shorter) or HyperPro or RaceTech? I've liked the Ohlins, and have RaceTech fork components on other bikes so know these people REALLY know their suspension business but I know nothing of their shocks. Don't know anything about Hyperpro. Its a lot of money for a science project, but I'm really tempted to try the RaceTech.

Any advice, experience with either RaceTech or HyperPro?

Thanks,

Alex
  2. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Can't offer much but will be interested in responses, especially since the Ohlin fails have me thinking I'll go with something else when the time comes.

Any reason you are not also considering Wilbers?
  3. Alexol

Alexol Chronic Farkoholic

Oddometer:
    South La., where I-10 has a curve. One curve.
    I had a set of Wilbers and just could never make friends with them. Almost certainly pilot error more than anything else, as the subsequent owner loved them. I have nothing bad to say about them at all.

My problem is that I know exactly how good correctly shocks should feel, but have a very tough time getting there - I can't feel any difference between a few of clicks of any adjuster!

My riding buddy Tony was a total expert at this - he was the same weight as me, and he'd go ride my bike for ten minutes, tell me two clicks of this, four clicks of something else, repeat a few times, and I'd have a perfect magic carpet ride within an hour or so. We, ok, he, dialled in several sets of Ohlins for me over several years this way, but he has long since gone, yet another victim to a left turner.

Alex

4. waddyp

waddyp Quite Content

Oddometer:
    You might find it interesting to talk to Klaus at HyperPro. He tells an interesting tale of the evolution of suspensions such as Ohlins, Wilbers, and HyperPro. I ended up with -1" HyperPro front and rear on my '07 12GS, and then added the RDL which promptly erased the advantage I had gained by lowering the bike's suspension. No matter, I got used to shuffling my butt forward and to the left when I want a foot down. I've ridden my GS on all kinds of roads in all kinds of conditions, and find with the pre-load adjustment that's easily changed on the fly, and raising and lowering tire pressures, the bike, as its set-up now, gives me total confidence. I'd buy the HyperPro again in a heartbeat (I've got about 40k miles on them now). Good luck with your decision.

5. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    I have the Hyperpros (from Klaus) on my 07GS and I'm happy with them. I had some issues on the way they rode on the first few thou miles but tuning them was not my expertise. Klaus walked me through the procedures and after dozens of email exchanges, I'm a happy camper.

The main reasons I bought the Hypers were that I've been through Ohlins and Wilbers before and wanted to try something else. Longevity-wise, I was displeased with Ohlins the most. They just do not last for me, and I don't really do any offroading. Also, the larger diameter shaft (2mm bigger as claimed) attracted me, as with the funky purple springs :D
  6. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    Are Hyper Pro re-buildable?
  7. SeeRace

SeeRace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are rebuildable. I got mine from Klaus too. Really transformed my 06 GS.
  8. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:
    I ordered hypers from klaus about 3 weeks ago. They should arrive next week. I have an 02 GSA but got the regular GS height. I'm really excited to try them...I'll report back in a couple weeks.

Klaus and his office girl were great to work with. Very professional.

Btw, I opted for the black springs instead of purple...no cost diff, just didn't want purple.
  9. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem on the rear of my GSA and am sending it back to have it shimmed internally which should bring the height down about a 1/2" to 3/4" at the seat.
  10. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:

If you're like me with a meager inseam and got used to running on worn shocks, then new shocks (whatever brand) will really make your bike seem so tall. I'm tip-toed on my regular-height Hypers but I'm sticking to them. Maybe after a few years of wearing them out, I can finally flatfoot the bike :lol3
  11. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    The Ohlins aren't any longer, they are just sprung properly for weight which is going to be the same result for any aftermarket shock = taller ride height due to correct spring rate. The way around this is to have the shock shortened internally to compensate if you're ride height challenged when the correct spring rate is used. However shorter travel means slightly harsher ride in all conditions, fortunately the aftermarket shocks are so superior it's of little compromise to shorten the travel.

If you like to travel a lot and like having a shock that there are dozens of service centers locally able to service the shock on a moments notice, there is only one option with the big O. All others are going to put you in a bind if they fail while you're on the road as you'll have to remove them and most likely send them off to the limited handful of service centers nationally which wont be near you, see it all too often.