Cardo Scala Rider G4 Resource Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by amackenzie, Aug 28, 2010.

1. wildybeast

wildybeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi to all.does anyone know of a bluetooth mp3 player which will stay connected after an intercom call.i have a samsung yep-p2 and have to manualy re pair it with the scala every time.i dont want to use a wired connection.also can me and my pillion both pair to the mp3 so we can listen together.cheers everyone.
  2. JumpinJack

JumpinJack Itchntogo

Oddometer:

I think the problem will be that your mp3 will only pair with one headset at a time.
  3. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had exactly the same problem and posted this response on another threead:

Hi
    For those wtih a G4 desiring to upgrade to the 3.0 software to get "Click to Talk", etc. - I have this experience to share. I tried upgrading and followed the directions (at least I think I did!) only to get an error along the lines of "You must be an administrator to install this software". I tried three different Windows machines and verified that I WAS the administrator on all - same problem. I emailed Cardo support and got the following:

"...
    Windows Vista and Windows 7 add an extra layer of security to the operating system to prevent bad programs from running on your PC. Part of this process means that on these versions of windows, instead of just clicking or double clicking on the Icon for the Cardo Upgrades.exe program, you must actually use the right mouse button to single click on the icon and a menu will pop up. From this menu you must then left mouse click on the item that says "Run As Administrator" and this will allow you to run the Cardo Upgrades.exe program with the permissions needed by the program and Windows to install the drivers for the G4 properly. You need to do this, even if you are the administrator for the machine in question.
    Please feel free to contact us if we can assist with any other questions.
    Best regards,
    Garth Schafer
    Customer Service Representative
    Cardo Systems, Inc.
    100 High Tower Boulevard
    Suite 101
    Pittsburgh, PA 15205
    Toll Free: 1-800-488-0363
    International: +4989 450 36819
    Phone: 412-788-4533
    Fax: 412-788-0270
    support@cardosystems.com
    www.cardosystems.com
  4. Wistrick

Wistrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the 3.0 upgrade seems to suggest that the G4 will now allow 2 bluetoooth connections a phone and an MP3 at the same time anybody know if this is that case....I tried to pair my phone and my ipod touch, once one pairs the other unpairs just like before....

anybody

Dan
  5. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't help other than say it is definitely supposed to connect to two compatible devices:
    Your G4 is designed to receive wireless stereo music from A2DP sources and mobile phones that support the Bluetooth A2DP and AVRCP profiles (mostly 3rd generation devices).
  6. Wistrick

Oddometer:
    so I bought a Zumo 550 to use with the G4, question since the GPS has the highest priority with the G4 does that mean if I use the Zumo's built in XM I won't be able to use the intercom??? wanna know before I spend money on XM antenna

thanks

Dan
  7. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Well, first off, the Zumo's XM music isn't broadcast over BT, so you don't have to worry about it always taking precedence over your intercom. You can only hear it from the audio port on the side of the mount. My Dad has the Zumo 550 and the G4 so I am familiar with them since I set them up for him. The Zumo 550 definitely missed the boat with BT since it doesn't support sending the XM music over A2DP, However, there are ways to get around this. .

When you connect the G4 and the Zumo 550, you are connecting on a "mono" headset connection. Basically, the GPS voice commands and if you sync your cell to the GPS will come over this connection. You can force it to play stored MP3's on the Zumo over this BT connection, but the music quality lacks over this type of connection. The best option he found was either using a cord from the audio out of the Zumo to the input on the G4 or just buy a small BT transmitter that you plug into the audio output of the Zumo cradle and basically transmits your music and GPS instructions over A2DP. You can then sync this BT transmitter with the G4 and have your music wirelessly over BT.

Even before the 3.0 update, we could get my Dad's G4 to accept both the Zumo's 550's mono connection for phone calls and then a A2DP music from the XM, but when a call came in, it would break the music connection and would never resume until you restarted either the BT device or G4. This was very frustrating and a major PITA. I haven't had a chance to see with this new 3.0 update if both should work together better, but that was my understanding also.
  8. dukedar

dukedar 60 easy payments!

Oddometer:
    I get this behavior with the G4 when it is connected to my BlackBerry 9000 and iPod Touch and I have ver. 3.0. Music plays fine from the iPod until I receive a call. After that I have to restart the music.
  9. 340hp

340hp Long timer

Oddometer:
    The G4 connects to my Blackberry Tour, for phone calls and A2DP music from the MP3 (stereo). When a call comes in, it overrides the music. Most of the time the music returns after the call is complete. The intercom to another G4 works the same way. The Bluetooth connection is from only one device (the phone with integral MP3) other than the connection to another G4.

Getting the G4 volume correct can be a chore, as the MP3 volume can be set from the phone but the phone call volume requires the noise canceling to sense ambient noise for the sensitivity. Sync the phone first, after the engine is running to get the G4 volume set for phone use, and then start the MP3 and adjust the MP3 player volume from the phone volume control (otherwise the volume will not match when switching between the two).
  10. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Web bike world did another review on the 3.0 Update. It sounds like they had some issues with certain music players and phones too doing the same thing. They gave one combination that worked good. I would imagine this might be an area we seem some bug fixes to make it work better.

- Web Bike World Scala G4 3.0 update
  11. cruisincruzan

cruisincruzan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To anyone that has done the upgrade, how does the VOX now work? I happen to like the VOX of my autocom and I don't want to lose that level of functionality if I go BT. Thanks
  12. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LdNbfvmxlY
  13. Wistrick

Oddometer:
    As far as the Vox sensitivity I confused....I have it on meduim and its not working...if I want to set it to activate easier do I set i on high or low???

thanks

Dan
  14. Eastview

Eastview Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there anyone out there that has done the C3 Scala? Before I spend $400 it would be nice to get some feedback. THKS
  15. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure I know what a c3 scala is. They have a G4 and a Q2 as far as I know.
  16. Isorg

Isorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the 3.0 update, then did a 5day trip to bigbend, where the 3.0 scala g4 got a hell of a workout.

gear i have.

iphone 4
    Scala g4 (Earbud moded)
    zumo 550.

If i did the iPhone > Zumo > Scala. i could not listen to my MP3's in the iphone.

I tried the Iphone > scala | zumo > scala. And i was never happy with this setup, I want to think it is the fact that the iphone is not connecting as a pure MP3 player and it si also connecting as a phone device too. I have a ipod bluetooth adapter, that i think might make this combination work, but i need to test it.

I finaly dropped the zumo altogether, and was the most happy with just iphone > scala.

With just iphone>scala, MP3 palyback and phone control worked %95 og the time. there were a few times where, i lost all phone control, and a simple onn/off of the scala would fix everything.

Intercom and vox (vox set to low) worked even better than the older q2's i once had. But I did seem to have about a 10 second delay making a intercom connection when playing music.

we even added an older q2 into the mix and had a conference intercom session with all 3 riders.
  17. JumpinJack

JumpinJack Itchntogo

Oddometer:
    High makes VOX more sensitive, will activate easier
  18. Wistrick

Oddometer:

thanks for that info.....

Dan
  19. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    I have the 3.0 upgrade using it with iPhone 3G (olllld skool iPhone). My VOX works very well. People can't tell I'm on a motorcycle at 75mph, and I don't have to speak unusually loud (I am a loud talker anyway) to activate it, and there is no background noise.

I have not failed to be heard well, and I have not had one instance of anything but my voice triggering the VOX. No wind noise, etc.

I don't recall the setting, middle-ish if I remember.

Barry
  20. afulldeck

afulldeck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't have the G4 yet, but I am wondering how hard is it to hear music with the wind noise through a full face helmet. Do you need to have the volume up fully. Will it be hard on the ears? I have tried ear buds in the past, but at highway speeds the wind noise overtakes the volume. Typically, I just have sponge ear plugs to deaden the wind noise.