New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. abrasive

abrasive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you mean the power limiter? I am curious if it's on the '14 USA 690e's... :ear
  2. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. The rev limiter that helps to keep you from blowing it up. Not a governor that limits power.
  3. abrasive

Oddometer:
    Well yeah i know he said rev limiter but why would it only work in 2 gears?
  4. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    He is just mistaken. Didn't make much sense to me either. Sounds like he isn't use to the gearing and believes the rev limiter may be the issue. :huh :lol3
  5. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
  6. TexaNate

TexaNate Fortune Favors the Bald

Oddometer:
    O Wise Ones,

My dealer mentioned he is going to do the 15 minute idle reset on my new 690 before he sells it to me to ensure good fueling out of the crate. I may be full of shit, so take what I say with a grain of salt but - isn't idling for 15 minutes the WORST way to break in a new engine? Wouldn't you want to vary the revs, keep the engine cool and load the piston rings (SOME hard acceleration AND engine braking) in the first ~20-30 minutes of operation, to ensure the rings seat well against the cylinder wall? Or does KTM do that at the factory (like I know BMW does with their cars having seen it myself)?
  7. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are two things that are being conflated/confused here.

1) break-in of the engine

2) 15 min. EFI reset/throttle recalibration

Your dealer is talking about 2), which is the process to reset the EFI with a 15 min idle and a throttle calibration.

Engine break in should not be affected by at 15 min. idle for EFI recalibration as long as after you get the bike you follow the manual WRT break in.
  8. Bike Nomad

Bike Nomad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is an interesting one to view the inside of the great orange womb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcpmi-H1dtA @ 3:56 you can see the guy putting a 990 on the dyno as part of the manufacturing process. I believe they give each bike 2 dyno runs back to back? You still need to break the bike in using either the factory recommended (or if you prefer the motoman method). I would not sweat having the 15 min idle done to start things off.
  9. NumNum

NumNum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys

I have a serious issue with me beloved 2012. I gave the baby a wash and lube all over this weekend. She struggled to start but eventually fired into life. I wanted to do a quick run to the shops yesterday and we started cutting out. Immediately she would restart and run awesome for about 300 yards and cut out again. Finally she broke down for good. Flashed Soft 3.3 on the screen followed by DAT 1.2! When I cycle the bike through again she would cycle (sounds like a "short" at the fuse box) and just completely resets on the console. :huh

Have any of you seen this before?? I have checked all the fuses and have now removed the battery and placed it on charge.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!:bow
  10. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simply switching the bike on and letting it idle for 15mins tells you absolutely nothing about your bikes fuelling. Read AMa's post here about the origins of the 15min idle.

My guess is your bike will just sit there using fuel, get a bit hot and nothing else. I haven't yet heard of any stalling problems with '14 bikes but it's still early days.
  11. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you power wash it?
  12. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    The way I see it, KTM sells bikes that are "ready to race." With that in mind, unpack it from the shipping crate, and ride the shit out of it. By the same token, letting it idle for 15 minutes shouldn't do any harm either.

The fueling on my '14 so perfect I'm afraid to mess with the intake/exhaust systems. But I have no idea if my dealer let it idle for 15 minutes before I took possession of it.

13. NumNum

NumNum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I did.....

It charged the battery full and reinstalled and the bike fires up now....Trying to do the 15 minute reset and it dies after 2 -3 minutes of idling!

What can the power wash damage?
  14. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Power wash can put water into all of your electrical connections and mess up their contacts.
  15. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    MM is on the right track. On the front of the bike behind the headlight is a pressure sensor with a hose pointing down. If you get water in this hose, the bike won't run correct. Do not try to blow water out with air, if it gets up inside, it can rune the sensor (I've heard). Or set the bike in the sun for a while and it will sort it self out.
  16. NumNum

NumNum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Seth
  17. NumNum

NumNum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ronin Moto
  18. abrasive

Oddometer:
  19. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    I just had a quick look for that connector on mine -- no luck.
  20. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's just me, but I've pretty much given up on hosing my bikes off. I keep up with the cleaning and maintenance so it doesn't get out of hand. It just seems that as bikes get more sophisticated electronics it's much easier to damage things.