Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now you go me thinking I should just go w/ the Roadie.... You're saying the suspension is a bit stiffer than the XC (I'm ~200lbs + gear)? In all honesty, I started looking at the Explorer XC at the MC show, with the shaft drive, tubeless spoked tires, and a bunch of standard farkles, but it's just more bike than I really need, or want to pay for, so I kinda moved over to looking at the 800 XC without even giving the 800 a chance. Just watched a couple of video reviews on the 800 Road and it seems like it may be just as capable as the XC on anything that I may end up on. I really like the style of the spoked wheels, but I've also been thinking that the tubes may be a PITA, so maybe the 800 is the way to go. I would save about $750 (based on MSRP) once I add the extras I want.

BTW, anyone know if the Wolfman racks fit the 800? I had a set of luggage all picked out for the XC, but I'm not sure if the racks are common between the 2 bikes - everywhere I see them it specifically says 800 XC?
  2. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

But you already knew that. :evil
  3. browneye

Oddometer:
    The suspension is different on the roadie. I wouldn't call it stiffer, but firmer yes because it's shorter. It's still very smooth. Firmer is an advantage on the street. Less dive, no corner wallowing, no see-sawing. Not that the XC has those bad traits, it's surprisingly well composed.

Wolfman racks work on either model. The two models are identical except for wheels, suspension, and steering geometry. Otherwise everything is the same.

Either 800 is a terrific bike. The Explorer is big and heavy and a lot more money. If you're going to that class of bike then look at GS, Super Tenere, and MotoGuzzi Stelvio as well.
  4. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Which is still kind of weird because the spring we pulled out of my forks was less stiff than the one we put in (I'm 72kg before any clothing or gear). The spring I have now is stiffer, but the ride is more comfortable and way more controlled.

A re-valving and new springs should be possible for about $400 at a really good shop and the results are pretty good.

The suspension quality on the XC is better, but I noticed the effects of the longer travel and softer setup negatively for my type of riding. Therefore the Roadie was better for me personally even before making the suspension adjustments.
  5. Michel77

Michel77 Island Time

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this was posted here, think it was just published by Icon? Thought it was an interesting interpretation after they did their Portland - Dakar bikes..

http://icon1000.com/bike/dromedarii/

[​IMG]
  6. Adventure boy

Adventure boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whats the high mileage of the tigers on here how do they fair on mileage ?? mine is coming up on 10K miles its a 2011 XC what mileage you guys got ????
  7. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Don't ask me why, but I want one!
  8. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    OMG....don't brake too hard on that bike. This tank could perform rather horrible surgery on rider! :lol3
  9. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I'm at 31,000 miles on my 2011 XC. Zero problems; valves haven't even needed adjustment. Awesome bike.

--mark
  10. pilot3

pilot3 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Racks are the same for 800 and 800XC.
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    +1
    For this price which is less than the difference between XC and roadie you could have your roadie suspension working better for YOU than the XC would be IF the suspension on the XC has you thinking the XC would be a better choice.
  12. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank, browneye (and all others who replied). If the snowstorm we're getting today/tonight doesn't shut them down, I may go drool over the Tigers at the dealer again tomorrow, and will give the Road some more consideration. Looks like the 800 Road even comes in blue, so some of my existing gear will even match and can save a few $$$ by not having to get new stuff. :evil

BTW, I was looking at a Stelvio in a showroom recently... beautiful bike, but not very good on gas. I have this hangup that a bike should get at least 40mpg. Otherwise, it looked like a lot of bike for the price.
  13. Adventure boy

Adventure boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark thats some good riding in 2 yrs mate well done
  14. browneye

Oddometer:
    Check out the Stelvio merge thread here. From what little I know they are solid, the motor has been around forever, and there's almost a cult following. For about fourteen grand it comes with everything, panniers, guards, shaft-drive, and a big fat comfy seat, they are very complete. I sat on one at our local exotica dealer before and after I bought my Tiger. Thought both times I thought it was a 'big' bike, but nicely finished and a TON of value. I didn't ride one, only the GS and Tenere. I would take a Tenere over the GS, hands down. Did not ride the Explorer, by then I decided the size of the 800 was about all I wanted to wrestle with. Very happy owner here.

Comes with a hot blond... :D

[​IMG]
  15. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    SOLD! :lol3
  16. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    I have ridden one and they're absolutely horrible. The vibration through the handlebars is enough to give you white finger. It was like there was someone hitting the handlebars HARD with a hammer.
    On top of that it was gutless and the mpg readout never got above 40mpg.
    Same day I also rode the Dorsoduro. Now that was a real hoot but still very thirsty.
  17. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to figure out how to fit a 5 Litre Jerry can both sides beside the tank. Now I see that I've got make an additional subframe.
  18. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I stopped reading right there and was wondering if it was the bike or the blonde that you rode. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  19. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike AND the girl for $14K? Thats a hell of a deal. The girl I have has cost me waaaaayyyyyyy more than $14K and she didn't come with a bike.:lol3
  20. Solace

Solace Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my new Tiger 800 in September. Did 7,000 miles the first two months, then we got to winter and I haven't ridden it in a while. Just put new tires on it so it's ready to go. I went ahead with the TKC80's. Hopefully this weekend is decent around here so I'm gonna get it out for first ride of the new year.

I'm planning to do 100,000 miles the first 5 years. I expect my maintenance will consist of oil changes and tires. The motor is great and will last a long time with routine care.

Later,
    M