Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Hondo

Hondo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super Sneaky Steve and drbuzzard like this.
  2. vecchio Lupo

vecchio Lupo Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer:
    Nobody owns a nice CB Custom? Honda sold a bijillian of them from the 200cc all the way up to a full liter+ a little. What about that cool dual range tranny? I had a 400 custom in the early eighties, I wish I had a photo of it. What I really wanted was a 900 with the dual range. I will eagerly await the plethora of photos I know are out there. I may have an old photo somewhere to lend the thread.:ear
  3. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I had a cb900f back in college that I dearly loved! Of all the bikes I have ever had that is the one I wish I had held on to. I also had a cb750A (automatic clutch) for a while. That bike was ok. Easy to ride in town and mild mannered which was good since I was just really learning how to ride motorcycles.
  4. dynamos2000

dynamos2000 is boinking your mom

Oddometer:
    Somebody here in town has a CB650 (82 I thk) for $700 with less than 15000 miles, would be a cool 2nd bike
  5. 83rtrider

83rtrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just sold a super sweet cb900....
  6. mjozefow

mjozefow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a CB100C that looks exactly like Hondo's (color-wise) for $300 :evil. Oh, it has the Honda fairing as well (not the Windjammer). It will only idle right now and its been collecting dust for 5 years, but it will clean up to be real nice. I'm happy as you might imagine.
  7. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    I had one once. I bought it for $275 at a wrecking yard. Dented tank and broken shock. It was a great motorcycle. Had the dual range transmission.
  8. mjozefow

mjozefow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

Its odd though because I have been a member/lurker for so long I thought I had posted. I have a KLR so usually I post over at the KLR650 site (great site too).

I'll try to get some pics up too but my digital is busted.

Mitch
  9. Hastelloy-X

Hastelloy-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is this dual range transmission you speak of? Got pic's? :huh

10. mjozefow

mjozefow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here she is. I got her running today.:clap Cleaned up the carbs and put in new plugs. I have to say, the bike is growing on me... It sounds AMAZING! What a shock to here that exhaust rip when I fired it up. I'm a happy camper.

[​IMG]

Question #1: If I take the fairing off will I need to find buy the headlight somewhere? Or does the fairing have the same one that I can bolt to the stem?

Question #2: Where can I get new rotors for a decent price? The rear especially.

Question #3: Whats the best way to get stuck calipers unstuck?
  11. mjozefow

mjozefow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the quick reply Hondo.

For the time being I'm gonna keep the fairing. It's growing on me. If I do decide to take it off I will keep it in storage. That way whoever buys the bike (You'll have first dibs if that day comes Hondo) will be able to return it to original if they so desire. Thanks for all of the info on the bike. You are a true Guru on these machines.

And more pics since we've only got two people posting them!

(The right side grip is back on now)
    [​IMG]

The KLR is getting jealous:
    [​IMG]

Something about a large air cooled engine that makes you happy
    [​IMG]

Again, I put the right grip back on.

[​IMG]

Not as clean as yours Hondo, but I like her!
    davyjones likes this.
  12. TT RDHS

TT RDHS Long timer

Oddometer:
    davyjones likes this.
  13. mjozefow

mjozefow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow-

Cool bike. You must have a huge amount of time invested in that machine. Your hard work shows. How do you like the EBC rotors?

Mitch
  14. TT RDHS

TT RDHS Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right about the time, and love, invested in the bike,
    The EBC rotors are lighter than stock, and they seem a bit grippier (in a good way) too. but it's a little hard to tell exactly, as I changed out the rotors and calipers at the same time.

P.S. how about giving the bike a "bump" in the bikes for sale section, PLEASE...
    Thanks, Brad
  15. DoubleK

DoubleK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw one of these at a local cycle shop. The guy is still working on it, as it has some issues, but he made me an offer I am having a hard time ignoring. :deal I do have a couple of questions about these, even though I have spent several hours researching it.

One, I am a returning rider, who has not owned a bike since the end of 1996. How would this bike rate for a returning rider? Both my previous bikes were 400cc from the 70s. The first I owned and rode for about a year. The other, a 1978 Honda CB400, I owned for almost three years, and put over 16,000 miles on it, all without leaving Colorado.

How hard are parts to find for this? How hard is it to work on? Would you feel comfortable from a reliability perspective riding it on long trips?

Oh, and I found this link. It has a scanned copy of the Cycle World review from 1983. http://www.vf750fd.com/vf750f/vin_4.html

Thanks

Ken
  16. rusty43

rusty43 cruzincariboucountry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hondo, that is a nice example. I just saw an '82-900 listed on a farm auction site coming up and was wondering what kind of price range to expect. I have no info on the bike and haven't seen it yet, but I would like to add one to my "stable". Russ
  17. shlike

shlike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's mine: 1981 CB750 Custom. I bought it last week off of Craig's List for $1800.00. 6000 original miles, new tires, battery, brakes, fork seals, carbs cleaned and sync'd. Runs great!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Ranger354

Ranger354 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi y'all. I'm Ranger354 from upper East Tn. After almost 20 years of not riding I am returning. Owned scoots from early 70’s thru late 80’s. Last one was Kawasaki Z1. Caught the fever again not long ago. Just bought a Honda CB1000 Custom. I lusted after one for years even when I wasn't riding. Clock shows 38K and change. It needs work but not a lot. Not cute, but it ain't ugly either just something to get me back on a scoot. It runs but roughly, guy i got it from changed the air box to stacks and I think it needs a different size jet. So far only 1 blister from trying to see which cyl. wasn't firing. Yes I know better, my reflexes ain’t what they used to be! I'm more of a lurker than a poster. Will help if I can, and I ain't afraid to beg if necessary for help<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype>:lol3 Speaking of begging would someone please post a front on and a rear on picture of the 1000? Some of the stock stuff in missing, and I want to make this one look factory fresh. My signal lights are missing, the fork bridge with Honda on it and such I want to make sure I have the correct tail light and tag bracket, so far just pretty stuff. Oh by the way, both side covers are missing, aren’t they all!! So I’ll be around here and there. See y’all. <o:p></o:p>
  19. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    I have heard it is hard to get one of these (DOHC Hondas 79-83) to run well without the stock airbox.

Here are a couple of great resources for you:

http://www.cb750c.com/

http://www.cb1100f.net/

These forums both deal more or less in general with the DOHC Hondas, you will find lots of help there.
  20. Rigor Tortoise

Rigor Tortoise Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Hi all! Interestingly enough, I'm also a new member, from Northeast TN, and own an '83 CB 1000 C. :D

I've been lurking here from time to time for the last year and half. Because of advrider I'm now fascinated with little dual sports like the TW. I've always been drawn to unique things. I bought the CB about 6 or 7 years ago for the same reason, it's uniqueness (at least at the time to me). I upgraded from a fun little CM 450 that was my first bike. However, the CB just never felt like "me" and I started riding less and less. It has mostly been sitting all these years. I started getting excited about motorcycles again about 2 years ago due to some enthusiastic ridin' coworkers and I picked up a Buell CityX which I enjoy greatly. However due to being disgruntled with my career and deciding to seek another profession, downsizing, returning to school, and minimum wage plebe, is not conducive to multiple or expensive bikes. :cry

I see why the CB's have such a loyal following, they are great bikes! I like the "standard" look and they really are a great option for all around use. Mine is Black and Gray, still in good shape (always garage kept), and still stock except for the original owner's change to 4 into 1 exhaust. I actually rode it today for the first time in almost two years! The ride today reminded me again of how nice of a ride it really is.

I know myself well enough to know that: I'll end up with less of a bike for more $ before it's over in my search for personal motorcycle Zen. However, that's just how my mind and soul work. So far my experience has been that going against this natural passion only leads to less satisfaction........ or could be that I don't have a wife and kids to squash my desires!! :rofl

Anyway, It's nice to finally post in this likable community of misfits for once, and I'm trying to work toward some goals this summer so that I'll be an actual bonafide ADV Rider in the near future instead of a keyboard dreamer. I'm currently fascinated by Geek and "Loser"! Now those two have character! :thumbup

I really need to sell both the Buell and the CB. I can post info if anyone is interested (will post images of the CB regardless with a borrowed digital cam). I also could be open to trade the CB for a bike toward my goals of ADV riding and moto-oneness.

Ken