Noob in the house

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Serp., Oct 30, 2007.

1. Serp.

Serp. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    First off let me say that after surfing around a bit, there are some serious adventure riders here. The kind of rides most riders only dream about.
    I have the skill and experience for such rides but alas the body is no longer up to it, these days I’m a pavement only rider and I’ve been known to go past the county line from time to time. If only I could have found this site 20 years ago.
    Which brings me to why I’m here.
    <o:p></o:p>
    I’m tossing around the idea of a Florida~Alaska run and Mark H. of the GWN suggested I join in here to benefit from the wealth of information you guys are hording.
    The main thing that concerns me is the pavement, gravel, potholes and such are no problem but ice, snow and mud I shy away from. The reason for that is I travel solo and if I end up on the ground I’m down until someone comes along to pick my bike up for me.
    I’d also like anything you guys have on the ferry out of Prince Rupert.
    This trip is just an idea at this point and I’m trying to figure out if it’s something I can do.
  2. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amigo you have come to correct plase. I don't know but here are a couple of links to get you started. I am also planning an Alaska trip for a couple of years from know so here is what I have:

http://www.northtoalaska.com/info.aspx This site will give info for Alakas and other provinces (BC, ALberta, Yukon)

I don't know about a ferry from Prince Rupert to Alaska but there is this other one:
    http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/TravelOptions/Routes/index.html For the Alaska Marine Highway System, they depart from Bellingham, WA.

And last I have seen people going on Goldwings so I must believe it is not that horrible to dry up there, IMVHO.

When are you going?

Damasovi
  3. Serp.

Serp. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the links, that's what I was looking for.
    I was thinking of summer 09 for this trip.
  4. BigJohnBundy

BigJohnBundy Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer:
    The fairy from Prince Rupert is great. They let the bikes first in first out. it takes the inside passage north or south. You can reserve a reclining chair that is private and will give you a good place to put your stuff while you walk around the boat. We stayed at the howard Johnsons in P.R the night before, because you had to get on the boat very early in the AM. if you miss the boat you don't get another one for about 3 days.
    Here is the link
    http://www.bcferries.bc.ca/
  5. BigJohnBundy

BigJohnBundy Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer:
  6. Serp.

Serp. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I know right off, the ferry is out. The cost for round trip would buy me 10,000 miles worth of fuel.
    So I'm going to figure the best way through Canada. That actually works out better anyway, I think if I took the ferry it would feel like I cheated somehow. Like putting the bike on the Amtrack instead of riding.:dunno
  7. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a big difference, also you need to reserve well in advance, if you wanted to take a ferry also consider a trip to Vancouver Island. Just an idea.

Damasovi
  8. Serp.

Serp. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll check out Vancouver Island.

Bassically I'm a canyon carving traveler and if there's nice scenery along the way well that's just icing on the cake.
  9. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Post this in the Great White North Regionals Forum.

They don't just think about this over there, they actually live there.

Nice folks, too.
  10. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, but the ferry is a great experience...It's amazing to be right at the foot of 15,000 and 16,000 foot mountains at sea level. Taking the ferry through southeast Alaska one way, say, on the way back, from Haines to Prince Rupert, is a great way to take a break from riding. How many times will you end up riding to Alaska? It may be a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Looks like the fare would be $236 for the bike and $178 for the person, for a trip from Haines to Prince Rupert. You can sleep on the upper deck out in the open under the solarium. The price includes showers. The ship ride is really worth it. Southeast Alaska is another world, more interesting to me than interior Alaska.

I strongly encourage you to not miss the southeast.
  11. Serp.

Serp. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting.

I see AKduc was rigth about this site.:thumb
  12. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention, that's something like three days of travel you get for the fare. It ends up not looking too bad when you consider that you get to see things there is no other way to see...no roads. Watching deep forests, wildlife, water, and sky unfold before you.
  13. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hello and welcome to advrider, Serp.

Remember it can start frosting up and even snow in Sept some places up here.

Also, there's a good chance the ferry will still be offering driver goes for free on a roundtrip.

See ya, Mark H.
  14. Serp.

Serp. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s not hard to believe, I got caught in a snowstorm last September and I was in California.
    On the ferry thing I’m looking at riding all the way up and using the ferry on the way back.
  15. Fried Chicken

Fried Chicken Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you have the time, go to Vancouver Island and ride to Tofino, its the end of the TC highway. If you like twisties, the road from Port Alberni will make you smile. Very sharp turns, through beautiful scenery and some grades up to 18% :huh will make your heart pump. On the way to Port Alberni, take a rest at Cathedral Grove and tour the virgin rainforest with its giant trees. It will make you feel so small and insignifigant.

Ride up to Campbell River and take the ferry to Prince Rupert ,but book in advance. Its not cheating, its experiencing the beauty of the West coast in a way you wouldn't otherwise be able to. You can ride back from Alaska via the Alaska Highway, then ride though Jasper and the Columbia Icefield Parkway to Banff. Its all beautiful, but this way you get the greatest variety of scenery possible. :thumb

Its just a suggestion, but I think you'll thank me for it when you get back. :beer