SuperMoto Sidecar?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Qwik, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pickin up a Plated YZ400 Super Moto in the next couple of weeks. Would a 400 be enough for a street hack with a motocross style hack?
  2. Leaf

Leaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can hit 70 on a good flat spot with plenty of room to wind it out with an old 36-ponies-when-new CB400T and a Velorex. It does 55 no problem. But it's a little iffy on the interstate; takes too long to wind it out to the speed of traffic and loses too much speed going up hills. I surmise that it would be a good around-town, rural, or secondary road outfit, but poor for the long hauls and trying to jump on and off high speed roads in a city. :p
  3. Kammelryder

Kammelryder Horizon seeker

Oddometer:
    Woo hoo! Sounds like a blast, as long as you keep the whole rig on the lighter side it should be plenty of power. A YZF 400 is a cool donor bike.
  4. Qwik

Oddometer:
    Going to see if I can do this once I get the bike.
  5. Pugsley/Hobbfather

Pugsley/Hobbfather Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep it somewhat muffled, so you can hear the burnouts and the slight drifting around corners, when you're not flying the chair...or make it a leaner since ground clearance is no longer an issue...

Are you going to keep this thread for the build/pics?

Subscribing in that hope!
  6. Qwik

Oddometer:
    Really Debating it. Going to try and pick up the SM this week (Its a twelve hour round trip to go get it if the roads are dry)
  7. Idle

Idle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hells yes! I think it should be fine, especially if you can find a kid or a tiny adult for a monkey.
  8. Qwik

Oddometer:
    My best friend is 5'5" and about 140lbs. He would be a perfect monkey
  9. boxertwin

boxertwin Long timer

Oddometer:
    It might just do the trick. I built a car for my DRZ400E with a big bore kit and Yosh exhaust. It had huge power with the car on it. But it ran out of top speed around 45-50. It was a blast in the city!

I'd still be riding that rig but disassembled it with a sawzall to make room for the VStrom rig.
  10. Qwik

Oddometer:
    This is my ONLY hesitation.
  11. boxertwin

boxertwin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Quick,
    Hope you've been well.
    Mine was geared down a tad, but that's what made it just FRIGGIN AWESOME around town. If the plan is to ride it around the city streets and on dirt and gravel roads, all is well. But as soon at I needed to get on a road that was 50+ it just was not fast enough. Doesn't the YZ have a lighter flywheel? Wouldn't this make it want to spin up fast but be pretty choppy?
    Anyway, these were significant contributors to my building the VStrom rig. I do miss the DRZ rig because it was a total hooligan rig in town. I never got arrested. :D
  12. Leaf

Leaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it's chain drive, maybe just carry an extra front sprocket around and swap when you need to switch between street and trail gearing. For me, the difference in size changing the front wasn't enough to require changing the chain length. Stock was 16t; I went down to 15t.
  13. Qwik

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Here is a shot of the Prospective tug. Trying to figure out if I can afford to do it. ( I dont know how to weld) I have a friend that says he would be interested in helping me make it though.
    I put a newer model FCR39 Carb on it today and it fired right up and runs great. Need to get the Idle adjuster free'd up (Its at about (1,500 RPM) But I had a blast runnin around town today.
  14. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    the only 2 issue I can see with a YZ400 ..
    1.. lack of torque..
    2 .. the xtra load on a motor that already has a shortish life span between re-builds..

those aside ..
    I had a car hung on the side of a 05 XR250 tornado...
    it would cruse at 100kph / 50mph no probs... hills & head winds
    pulled the speed down a bit..
    a leanner would be a good option as it can be as light as you
    can build it... I could carry mine around...

Build thread is below...