Ultra gravel-traveller. RC8´ed Adv-S...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by LocuL, May 29, 2010.

1. MrSandman818

MrSandman818 INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer:
    Duuude. That bike is sick as fuck. And riding the 9fitty on sand sucks. Too much weight up front, especially with that pizza cutter for a front tire.

My bikes been on the back burner for a month now. Freshened up EVERYTHING on the bike only to get rear ended by a 16yr old girl. So while my muscles re-attach themselves to my body I've been working on my mg midget with a turbo bmw swap.

Keep the videos and pics coming. It's the closet thing to riding for me and is keeping me sane.
  2. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Awesome, just awesome. Three thumbs way up mate.

:freaky
  3. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    MrSandman818:
    For your healthy benefit i´ll accept the "ride more" concept. And thank you for your kind words.....though you said turbo....??? RC8R...turbo???!!?!Maybe

Everyone else. Thankyou. It has been a pleasure and still is showing this progress with build in faults and succes.

For an while ago i asked for lower temp sensor for the fans. The original kicks in at 105 celcius...that is a tad high in this type of bike. I´ve searched around and one guy(OC of course) pushed me in the direction of Suzuki sensors.

Suzuki Burgman 400 and the like fits straight on and it kicks in at 94 celcius. Damn perfect.

[​IMG]

How it looks on this machine.
    [​IMG]

Perfect fit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any danes need it i can be helpful with mc nøglen.
  4. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Made an quick edit on the last weekend touring.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0ntiEdpTUa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The test included an old abandoned sand-road. An absolute test for my lesser skills in sand and the time being away from riding this kind of big bike makes it even more challenging. With that said it was damn fun, i really enjoy the stability that these huge bikes has. I´ve totally forgotten how much it feels like skiing. The suspension got worked a tad more on this ride. It really shines and needs me getting more courage to attack.

Enjoy
  5. liferider

liferider Never It's enough

Oddometer:
    Here we have a saying: "Dale Tiempo al Tiempo", which in english would be "Give Time to (the)Time" or something like that. With your patience, time and effort that beast will do whatever you want. :evil
    It's great you keep enjoying your ride.
  6. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    I love the sound :D
  7. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    ...and with that said i will work on improving the sound. Maybe the Zoom H4N could be strappen somewhere. Good sound really improves the "picture".

thanks for the feedback
  8. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those roads look like a WRC course, fast and flowing. Very cool. I need a vacation so I can go ride Denmark. :D
  9. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    damn that was beautiful :clap

I especially liked that part when the black sheep was still on the road and as soon as you gassed it, it went running :lol3
  10. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:

No horn installed yet...;-)
  11. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Rerouted the right tank fuel line and its completely wrapped in fire retardant materiel. This is a bit longer route, though way more safe in the long haul.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much seat time. I´m done with school the 12th next month and then i´m straight off to catch up with wife and kid in southeren Sweden. We are off to this house again...
    [​IMG]

Enjoy whatever you are doing.
  12. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Long way from the battlefield. Looks like a slice of Heaven. Enjoy your trip and make sure you post pictures of your ride up.

:thumb
  13. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Well the thought has been there if this should be to much power. And now i´ve had the oppertunity to ride 1000+ km i´m convinced that the power is easy controlled with the 17/17 setup. On the other hand the S12 offroad setup is not that practical. Think of 2 stroke, ride gravel or other loose surface when it start to built up power from 4-6ks it really is easy to handle. As soon you go above it spins up whatever you got. Though it feels absolute controllable and the frame/suspension setup really makes a bike i can remember.

Yes it is to much power offroad. Onroad is just perfect.
  14. Balsta

Balsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My SE with a 990 SDR motor from 2009 (the one with larger intakes and 132 hp per KTM's datasheet) is already too powerful for gravel. Wild spinning on gravel with fully open throttle, 6th gear high speed any tyre. Can just imagine how it would become with another fifty horses, all dirt surfaces like ice.
  15. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    I ofcourse admit i only can handle the 50-70hp offroad though the rest is still fun...a lot :evil
  16. 1BIGADV

1BIGADV Banned

Oddometer:
    I have accurately calculated with my pantometer that I use about the same as you but sometimes up to 85hp on a gravel road as I am about to crash (say at 100mph or so) have possibly used all of my 100 needies on occasion but consider it a similar sensation to running a fuelly dragster (way to scary)

So I'm guessing youse guys bikes are insane :evil

A guy I ride with who had a 690 was horrified when he being tapped out was constantly having his mirrors filled with a wheel spinning swaying from side to side monster, He has since gone out and traded it on a nice new white 990 :D
  17. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    You are spot on 1BIGADV. These numbers are truly weird cause they just slip away underneath you.
    On my way home from job this day, on a less travelled road, i tried wring it out in 3rd...shiftlight is on at 10500 rpm and 169 km/h(gps). I hadn´t really tried let the engine pull through, even in its rough condition i was a bit amazed. For now I´ve just used the huge amount of tourqe when over taking cagers. But the feeling when the bike hit 8-9k. It pulls so hard. The only thing i can put it up against is an R1 i´ve ridden though this one is so "beefy". It´s a high revving race engine, know. But it is very easy to ride and i´m getting closer to my dream.

One of the things i need to look into is my forks under medium/heavy braking, "friction sticks". Like it studders but i´ve got no clue in what to do or where to start. I´ve never felt it on the old S suspension.
  18. Quacamole

Quacamole Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bow to your effort!

Is that Rukka Armas set u wearing btw?

Looks Mad Maxish!
  19. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Yep Rukka Armas. That is by far the best suit i´ve ever been in. It IS tough. My initial thought was the Klim Adv 2 set. Then this unused Armas set turned up in Fleabay in Germany and i knew what sizing i needed. In my opinion Rukka is one of the most well made mc suits out there. I´m glad i chose it.

I ofcourse don´t say that Rukka is better than Klim...only by a large margin :evil
  20. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Know you raised the front fender up when installing the 320mm Pyndon Suspension, I didn´t and there were signs of interference:

[​IMG]

Then the guy I share a garage with came up with a solution with a bracket forcing the fender a bit forward:

[​IMG]

There are probably nicer ways to do the bracket but seems to work even if the riding have been limited seems the flus and colds keeps visiting me =(

/Johan