What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DeeGee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Share your farkles, mods, tyre changes, breaks and mends here :D

I've just got back from a ride out to Ripon to get a repair kit for the clutch master cylinder. I'm going to have a go at fitting it, I've searched the O.C. to no avail to actually fitting the kit, loads of inmates posting the fault, but no answers :dunno

To the garage :wink:
    jeffk likes this.
  2. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    :lurk

I'd like to see your install as its on my list of things to do.
  3. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    Changing the rubber bits in a master cylinder isn't usually too complicated.

If it's anything like the average brake master cylinder, you remove the lever, remove a circlip, and pull the gubbins out, catching the fluid that'll spill. Then replace the rubber bits on the central shaft, replace it, replace the circlip, refill with fluid and bleed.

Have fun fettling :)

Not today, but last week I welded up yet another hole in the 2-1 section of the exhaust, brushed all the rust and winter cack off it, sprayed it black and baked it in the oven for an hour to cure the paint.

Tonight I am going to replace the reflector in the headlight as the silver coating seems to have burnt off! HID lights too bright, perhaps?
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  4. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    I added Bar risers to mine. Brings the bars up 17 or 18 mm (Im not sure now) but made it much more comfortable for standing up and puts my arms at a more comfortable angle
  5. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    Mine's toasted too. Are you going to crack the headlight case open? If so, how do you get the silicone bead to free without snapping the plastic tabs? Post a couple photos for me when you do PLEASE!! :bow
  6. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    I fitted the master cylinder seal kit. After a few problems with the clutch I suspected the slave had let go so I bought one of these babies in blue of course :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway after fitting it the dragging and not getting into neutral still persisted so I went and got the seal kit and fitted it today.

[​IMG]

Leaking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I unbolted the mirror and took the lever out, then took the master cylinder off the bars, emptied the master cylinder and cleaned it out.

[​IMG]

Removing the circlip was a total PIA, but managed to get it out. Be warned if you are going to carry out this minor overhaul be careful when you remove the circlip as the spring behind it will fire the seal out with a good squirt of oil :eek1 :eek1 :eek1

Replace the spring and seal, fasten everything back onto the bars and re-bleed the clutch.
    Test ride tomorrow :ricky
    motosilent likes this.
  7. Denalidirt

Denalidirt High Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, today I checked the weather in Denali National Park, and decided it was going to be warm enough. So with a push of the button I soon heard the rumble from the fmf's and the 950 fired right up!!! It wont be long before its rolling down the highway.
    rapiti likes this.
  8. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sadly I haven't found a trick to do this the "nice way".

Basically I hacked off the plastic tabs with a knife, and hacked away at the silicone or whatever that black sealant stuff is. After a lot of hacking and digging, trying to avoid damaging the lens or the plastic case, I got it free.

To put it back together I just put the lens in place, held it with some tape, and ran a bead of normal silicone (bath sealant) round the groove.

That's how I repaired my headlight originally (I bought the bike with a cracked headlight reflector) - that was a few years ago and it held up fine. I've just replaced the reflector with one I blagged from another broken unit using the same method.

Sorry I didn't take photos of any of this process, but I took this one of the end result.

[​IMG]
  9. FORRY

FORRY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I fitted my new rox risers to my 640 adv then went to change the front brake pads.Got a metal grinding noise still got 3mm of meat left on them seems the right hand disc is catching the top of edge of the caliper.Spent ages trying to work it out checking the spacers are fitted correctly gave up its beat me any ideas?
    also read every thread about converting to high mudguard whata task clear as mud.

Day off tmw hopefully get something sorted then :thumb

Hello mouse long time no see think the last time was the cambrian rallye you were wrecking your partners ktm :D
  10. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    Put a washer under the head of the caliper screw cos they are too long rub on the disc..... thats the case on the 950 anyhow ;)
    Whitey1 likes this.
  11. FORRY

FORRY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll give that a try tmw :thumb
  12. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Over the past two weeks I've done a boatload of updates to the bike.

...but today all I did was stick these on. Took about 1.2 seconds each :D

[​IMG]
    406Blues, W1y and Pariahtize like this.
  13. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put a new front tire on. Its no big deal because
    I do it almost monthly:rofl
    anydavenow and Loomdog like this.
  14. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    - Did a oil change and Valve clearance check. All valves are still within spec. (not today)
    - forgot to install the copper washers on drain plugs (both) and had to get some hot oil on my hands to put them back again.
    - flushed and cleaned clutch slave, refilled & bled with motorex min oil
    - lost the little grey cap on the slave bleed screw
    - stripped the threads on the engine support (where bash plate screw goes in)
    - forgot to clean the clutch oil jet
    - took off the tank guards, rear rack and spare tubes in the front fairing (will be doing some more desert runs and want to reduce weight)

i've been getting closer and closer to her........... she only hits back occassionally :lol3
    chainbreaker likes this.
  15. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Good work Vicks :thumb sounds like my kinda spannering :huh :D
  16. Dahlin

Dahlin Need more time...

Oddometer:
    I crashed it and broke the clutch cover, isn't oil supposed to be on the inside of the engine?
  17. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Its a dry sump. Engine oil is stored in a seperate oil tank (below the radiator on the Adv models)
  18. Dahlin

Dahlin Need more time...

Oddometer:
    Yes I know, but the liter or so that is inside the crank housing all of a sudden was on the outside of the engine.

Stupid oil, stay inside of the engine.:deal
    anydavenow likes this.
  19. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  20. brewer90

brewer90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Over the past two weekends I've installed a set of HDB guards and mirrors (Awesome product), a new rear Scorp, a set of butt ugly yellowish Renthal Kevlar grips, PABiker's kickstand relo kit and am waiting for a set of luggage mounts to come from Happy Trail so I can install them this weekend and hit the road for North Carolina on Monday.