Garmin software on Apple Mac?????

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by TerryM, Apr 1, 2005.

1. TerryM

TerryM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if and how the software maybe run on Mac please?
  2. Slimie

Slimie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Virtual PC, AFAIK.
  3. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    Don't even go there, I just tried this using Virtual PC and it works up until you try to connect the GPS and transfer maps. It will not recognize the GPS. When I called Garmin they said their units are not designed to work with Mac's even with Virtual PC on board. I did some investigating and it seems the problem is that Mac's use USB for the mouse and keyboard and this creates a conflict. I ended up using an old PC laptop I had to make use of the software and my GPS, just hope it keeps working. This is a sad story with Garmin and really has my feathers ruffled. Sorry I cannot be more optimistic.
  4. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought people that used Apples drove VWs and rode bicycles...

:scratch
  5. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Although I have seen reports from someone on AdvRider that he was able to use Virtual PC with his Garmin, I tried and failed :cry Had to go out and get a used PC just for Garmin work.
  6. TerryM

TerryM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all, that will save me some heartache failing to make it work.

Perhaps I will install the PC in my VW camper and the GPSMap 276C on my bicycle then dream about getting a motorcycle when my hormone levels improve!
  7. Danamr

Danamr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All that has been said is true, trying to run mapping software on VPC is painfully slow, and if the GPS is a serial connection forget it. OTOH if the GPS is one of the newer units that are true USB you can make that work.
  8. fire_strom

fire_strom Long timer

Oddometer:
    i married a PC user so i do my mapping on on her laptop. :evil

scott
  9. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Boy that was an expensive solution but I admire your dedication. I'm buying a laptop on ebay now just for this reason. No Mac support, 256 proprietary cards that I'll have to get 3-4 of, then the Touratech mount then, finally, I'll have access to 4-5 year old out of date information.

Remind me why again?

I wish the TomTom Rider was out or the Lowrance iway 500c had batteries. There's no good solution is there? Does your wife have a sister with a laptop? :evil

G
  10. bigmizzle

bigmizzle Grease Pirate

Oddometer:
    and sometimes they RIDE BMW'S and sometimes they ride bicycles

are you trying to stereotype someone?:puke1
  11. Crossmojonation

Crossmojonation Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually you might not be in as big a hole as you think.
    Check out this thread and you may find some helpful info. Using GPS and Mac
  12. sakurama

Oddometer:
    GPSCity has a petition page that you should take some time to sign just to help put the pressure on the manufacturers.

That and you should email Garmin: mobile@garmin.com

It can only help...
  13. Bayou Boy

Bayou Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just used my G4 Powerbook with VirtualPC everyday on an 8 day trip to reload maps to my GPS V with a serial/USB connector. Took like 40 minutes to upload but worked like a champ. If you don't have 40 minutes every night while eating or drinking beer or something, your trip is way to tight on time.
  14. sakurama

Oddometer:
    The issue is USB only GPS units which can't upload maps through VPC. Units that are serial can use a serial to USB and suffer VPC but USB only can't - I've tried. Garmins protocol for USB is too messed up.
  15. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    How did you do this, I do not care about the time I would just like to ba able to do it? The computer (Virtual PC) nor Map Source recognizes my Garmin 276C.
  16. sakurama

Oddometer:
    You won't be able to upload maps onto the 276c on a Mac. No workaround. There is a program that can get tracks and waypoints back and forth but your only option is a PC. That's it. I'd love to be wrong so perhaps someone has done it but even Garmin will tell you you will need a PC to upload maps.
  17. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    You will have way less frustration if you just go buy a cheap used USB PC. That's what I did, and I'm happy for it. I picked up an eMachines box and a KVM switch that let's me use my keyboard/video/mouse from my mac on the PC and I was good to go.

I also have a 276C, and even the old eMachines loads routes and waypoints in seconds via USB. You should be able to find a suitable machine for not much more than the cost of VPC software.
  18. dbsbmr

dbsbmr ADVENTURE MAN

Oddometer:
    still confuesd on this isssue of loading topo maps on top of the city map that u boguth with the 276c. Am i too understand that they needed to ne loaded at the same time or that you wipe out was there before?
  19. worldrider

worldrider Adventure & Discovery Around The World

Oddometer:
    Locked Down. Me: Leucadia, CA - Bike: Greece
    But before you totally jump ship on this there are a lot of variables that might impact this. And Garmin will never say anything works on a Mac, they simply say they don't support it.

So the Questions are:

1) What version of Virtual PC?

2) What version o Windows are you running under Virtual PC

3) What version of the Mac OS X operating system are you running?

4) What version of USB? The very recent PowerBooks and the iMac G5 and G5 towers are all using USB 2.0; older iBooks, Powerbooks and iMacs used USB 1.1

I haven't tried using any of this to upload the Maps, but if the issue is the USB driver under Windows running under Virtual PC, then we've got issues. But I'd like to know the variables there and I can dig further.

As for

Good god. Where has this buy been? The only people I know that use PCs is because they say they "have to", I choose to ride a motorcycle because I like the freedom; I choose the Mac because I like the freedom. Not because I have to.

Now this Garmin issue is a real pisser and has me frosted. But I spoke with the developers at Lorance (sp?) and they have a beautiful product and are working on a native Mac OS X application and hardware interface. Problem is Garmin has no competition at this point, really. All make users should write to Garmin tech support and show demand for a mac compatible GPS.
  20. sakurama

Oddometer:
    It's known that there is no way to load maps via USB on a Mac. Check the earlier post that links to a 4 page discussion of this. Garmins protocol is messed up to work with a non standard windows protocol. Mac supports a standard which they don't adhere to and never the twain shall meet.

I just bought a 276c last night and I'm shopping for a Windoz laptop just to load maps and firmware. The very second that a GPS maker supports Mac I will sell it all and buy their product. In fact I'll most likely sell it in a few months for the TomTom Rider coming out this summer - very smart. For now though this is the only way... sad but true.