Garmin VIRB Elite Camera/GPS

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Emmbeedee, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Multiple maps? Do you mean bits of unconnected map tracks? There can't be multiple maps, but broken tracks are to be expected.
  2. bicyclebradley

bicyclebradley V-Twin

Oddometer:
    i thought of that too, for having a single unsplit map.

yes, splitting or broken up maps. thanks.
  3. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bicycle Bradley in your recently posted video what is the very distracting ball in the lower right corner of the video?
  4. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    G-Force.
  5. bicyclebradley

bicyclebradley V-Twin

Oddometer:
    The only thing I can think is that the massive vibration for the mount made the velocimeter go wonky...?
  6. s0ulchicken

s0ulchicken MTB Grinder

Oddometer:
    Anyone else having trouble taking pictures while recording video? I went for a ride today, and set the photo interval at 30 seconds. When I got back to the house and plugged in the VIRB, there were only two pictures taken, both at a rest point on the trip. Very odd I must say. Is there a setting I am missing somewhere?
  7. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    It doesn't work that way, unfortunately. If you're recording pictures in interval mode, the video recording button overrides the picture taking when you switch it over. I had high hopes for it working the way you thought it would, but it doesn't.

You can still take pictures by pushing the "Ok" button on the camera while it's recording video, or by using the Remote application on a compliant gps, though.
  8. s0ulchicken

s0ulchicken MTB Grinder

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, so I guess I read it wrong then, and glad to know I am not the only one that sees the benefit in this. Thanks again Emmbeedee! I would offer dinner again (Tortellini soup tonight!), but don't want to run the risk of making you hungry again... :D
  9. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    No problem. We had fantastic home made lasagna tonight. I am flup.

Sent from my Monterra using Tapatalk
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    A picture, or rather a couple of pictures I took today, that Google made into a panoramic.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 7
  11. kave

kave Gravel rules

Oddometer:
    Embedee: great picture.
    After three weeks of rain, the sun barely came up over the horizon today. Me and the boys went out riding some mtb:
    <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/3006705430_8sw6mpb?width=640&height=360&albumId=31540443&albumKey=mjnTkZ"></iframe>

Where you dont see map overlays the movie is shot with an iPhone 5S, everything else an Virb Elite.
    I just found out today I can use both the iPhone as a remote and the Edge 800 at the same time. Now I can both have a video preview on the iPhone and take still images from the Edge remote.
    Today my Virb only locked up once in an hour, probably because I by mistake pressed photo button too quickly.
    I got thee images that where correct in file size, but corrupt.
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    That's great - I love seeing kids riding bikes - we started our son very early too, and he's still loving it. Even more so than riding motorcycles, in his case. We sold his BMW G450X and he put the money into bicycles.

[​IMG]
  13. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:

Awesome video looked like a fun ride.
    Your little one looks like quite the character :D

Fred
  14. kave

kave Gravel rules

Oddometer:
    I did the same when we got our second child three years ago, only bicycles at the moment. But I have my eyes on the new CCM 450, or a GS or KTM990.

Nice fatbike btw, must be great in the snow. We have the warmest winter ever so far. After four extreme cold winters it might be time though.
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    We must be having your winter here in North America. :cry
  16. s0ulchicken

s0ulchicken MTB Grinder

Oddometer:
    That is a gorgeous fatbike! Looks good in the snow, but it looks COOOOLD. I went for a ride yesterday in 30mph winds, brutal stuff, and tried out 60fps. The video is stunning, but it turned into two massive files. I think I will try out 48fps in hopes that I can get the ride into one file instead of two, and keep some of the quality.

EDIT: I forgot to change settings, so at 1280x720 60fps, the video split at :27.15 - next weekend I will remember to roll the 48fps to see how long it takes to split a file. Another problem I am encountering is the screw for the base plate keeps coming loose on me - it happened twice on today's ride which was a bit on the annoying side. Most likely after those incidents, I will be going with a bolt and nut with a lock washer to ensure it stays where it is supposed to.
  17. s0ulchicken

s0ulchicken MTB Grinder

Oddometer:
    Weapon of choice: Airborne Goblin 29er at Rigor Mortis - the back half, anyway. I decided just load the second file split to see how it would look after compression from WMM - at this point, I am not impressed and looking for another program as I cannot stand the pixelation of the sky in the background. For 60fps, it should be very close to flawless. NOTE: I did not run this file through VIRB Edit, only WMM to compress for Vimeo - no mic or music due to the wind and time constraints. Favorite part of the course is 3:50 to 5:00, lots of speed, off-camber tight corners.

[​IMG]

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/83448020?portrait=0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/83448020">Second file of the return on Rigor Mortis - Airborne Goblin HT.</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/s0ulchicken">s0ul chicken</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  18. bogman

bogman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question I have not seen here, which is better for the biker Virb, Virb Elite or the Gopro Hero3+ taking into consideration its infinity focusing issues thanks, Charles
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The VIRB Elite is the best of them, imho.

The GoPro 3+ has a lot more problems and design defects than just the focussing issue; again, imho:

• Poorly designed brackets that break easily and swivel when you least expect it unless you reef them down ultra hard.
    • Dome nuts on brackets easily lost.
    • Some mounts have play in them causing clicks in video recording.
    • Camera being inside a case means it fogs up often when you stop to change batteries.
    • You need to stop often to change batteries.
    • Microphone connection is inside box so you can't connect if you want to run in the rain.
    • Hard to tell if it's working because the buttons are not easy to use.
    • Terrible menu system.
    • No preview built into the camera - you need a smartphone or lcd backpack.
    • Not aerodynamic in the least.
    • No lanyard attachment point built in.
    • When you're opening the case to replace the battery, it's almost impossible to put it back at the exact same angle as before, if that matters, like for time lapse photography.

I could think of a few more if you give me a few minutes. :lol3
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, my son mentioned those 29ers. Looks like a fun bike. I can only see a few seconds at a time of the video since our so called "high speed" internet access sucks. But it sure would be nice to be there just about now, as the next storm approaches.