Sierra Nevada Foothill Rides - San Andreas to Oakhurst

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Odin69, Jun 24, 2010.

1. LookOutLinn

LookOutLinn Strom Trooper

Oddometer:
    Off topic, but you guys are more or less local: My 2007 V-Strom has a fuel leak and it's due for 30,000 mile service. Any suggestions for a local motorcycle shop? I live near Tuolumne City, but I'm willing to travel down the hill for the right mechanic. Thanks.
  2. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Laporte, we were just going to take it easy tomorrow, nothing to technical. It's been awhile since I've been up there so, it is going to be kind of an exploration trip. You're welcome to come along. Mr B and I were going to meet at the Chevron station in Jamestown at 9 am.
  3. Corinthiano

Corinthiano Lost & PROUD of it!

Oddometer:
    Bummer. I have relatives from out of state here and they aren't leaving early enough tomorrow morning for me to make it. I was CRAZY to meet you folks. Next time.
  4. Mr B

Mr B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I don't know anyone except the dealers in Modesto or Fresno, I do all my own Maintenance and I have been fortunate to have nothing serious crop up since '09.
  5. Mr B

Oddometer:
  6. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:

D&H Cycles in Modesto is out of business. The closest dealer would be in Merced if they are operating. I understand the former head mechanic for Burkes Honda/Yamaha is doing some work at home. He lives in Toulumne City but I do not know his address or name. We always called him "Cap"

There is a shop that seems to specialize in dirt bikes. They are located on Lime Kilm road in Sonora between 108 and the Post office. Shop rates and parts are expensive.

I see Broken Spoke 2 on Toulumne rd out of Sonora. Mainly a Harley shop and I assume connected to the one in Oakdale. Both work on about anything and I have had some good experience with the Oakdale shop.

Not much help, but not much up here.

PS. Bettanini's machine shop in Toulumne City used to do all the dealers machine work. They may know "Cap" and how to locate him.
  7. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just loaded my bike and gear. See you in the morning. Think of a place I can park my Van for the day?

LaPorte
  8. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you towing a trailer? If not, I think there is public parking in town? If you are, there should be some space across the street from the Chevron or, follow us up to Sonora and park at one of the shopping centers.
  9. Mr B

Oddometer:
    I think across from the Harley shop is a dirt lot

see you guys Sunday
  10. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Odin69/Mr.B
    Don't know what happened! Got to Jamestown at 7:30. talked to the gas station guy about where I might park my Van. He suggested right next door at the CC Taqueria. The lady in the Taqueria said I could park my Van there, no problem! Parked, unloaded my bike, got dressed and was at the gas station by 8:30. By 9am when nobody was there i was thinking I was at the wrong place. By 9:05 am I was pertty sure I had the wrong gas station. My thinking was you guys were coming from two different locations and the chance you were both late was remote so I had to be in the wrong place. So I rode around a bit looking for another Chevron Station. No luck finding you guys so I went back to the Taqueria and was entertained by a 80 plus year old man in a wheel chair telling me about when he rode motorcycles and how the goverment is all screwed up. By then it was near 10am so I loaded up and went to visit a friend in 'Twain Harte. Hope the ride was good. It was getting HOT in Jamestown, how was it in the higher elevations?
    Need to try this again but next time we need to exchange cell phone #'s. See you next time

Tony
  11. Mr B

Oddometer:
    Hey Tony,
    Man I dont know how we missed you, I was a little late, got to the Chevron at about 9:10 to see all the pumps down, so i ran down the road and filled up on the other side of the street. Got back to the Chevron and there was Jason,,,,we waited till about 9:40 at the Chevron...saw a lot of Harley Folks!! Lots of women, at least we think they where!!
    I am sorry yes we should have gotten each others cell #'s, next time!

The ride was ok, lots of pavement, we headed down road 4n33 and then got on 3n01 followed that for a while but is was paved so we jumped off and found a forest route back to Crabtree Road,(up by Dodge Ridge Area) and followed that back to 108. It was nice and cool up there but not knowing the area..it was a bit off, lots of guys in truck and rifles too!!!!! I guess the deer season is still in swing!!

Really sorry we missed you...next time for sure...

Bruce:1drink
  12. powerman

powerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Mr. B, not only is Monti a lurker, he's a sandbagger. Damn good rider, but he'll never admit it. Good rider and an all around great guy.

You all healed up? Last time I saw you you had sore ribs and a sick radiator.

Andrew
  13. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know what's really funny. I was behind the Taqueria in there parking lot talking to the old man in the wheel chair and you guys must have been at the gas station. We were 50 yards apart but I didn't know you where there. The old man lived next door to the Taqueria and wouldn't stop talking. I didn't want to be rude and tell him to get lost so I talked to him for about 20 minutes. I saw all the Harleys go by and looked up to see if I noticed and Dualsport bikes in the group. Didn't see any.

Crazy things happen, today was an example.

Tony
  14. Mr B

Oddometer:
    Andrew nice to hear from you, how you been ? Yep I healed up ok, got to head back down that trail one of these days.

Yes I lurk on the Central Valley site (Fresno boys) see what Monti has done and damn impressive!!! Hoping to get a smaller bike this winter, hoping to find a new job too!! unfortunately the job has to come first!!!

Hope you are enjoying SoCal
    Bruce
  15. Mr B

Oddometer:
    That is kind of strange!!! Yes we where sitting out on the street next to the broken gas pumps!!

Sorry to missed you...
  16. Mr B

Oddometer:
    Hey Jason
    Enjoyed the ride despite we rode mostly paved back country roads. Still trying to figure out Why all those forest service roads are so well paved!! No wonder the state is broke, wish they would pave the roads in Merced County half that nice.

Should know if mid October Mid Week overnight will work! I am up for ore destinations too, Bodie is just what came to mind, the Tahoe area might be good.

Talk later
    Thanks again
    Bruce
  17. TierHawg

TierHawg Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer:
    Dave moved his shop next door down from the old DH Cycle. The new place is called "Dave's Adventure Cycle". I'm not sure how much wrenching he does these days, probably need to call to find out. The place is a great spot to get tires, oil and moto supplies. This is my goto spot for tire changing in the Modesto area.
  18. Odin69

Odin69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think we were just too close to the ski lodge?

Yeah, let me know about October? Have you ever been to Lake Almanor up by Chester? I went there with the wife a few years ago, lots of dirt roads. You'd probably need three days though, it would take 5-6 hours to get there? One day to ride up, one to explore the area, and the last one to come back home.
  19. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are up for riding above Bass Lake this weekend let me know. Day trip or overnight camp?
  20. Mr B

Oddometer:
    I might be up for a Sat ride, have to see what my wife has scheduled for me this weekend I should know by Thursday ..Bass lake sounds good,temps are suppose to drop by then!