I need a new Flashlight....

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by A-Bone, Dec 21, 2009.

1. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    Dear Fellow Uber-dorks,

I've been making due with a 3 'C' battery Maglight and some small LED lights but I want a good one...

Must / should be:

• LED
    • Less than $200
    • Multi-brightness settings (brighter the better)
    • No larger than Maglite 3 C battery models
    Who has a kick ass flash light???...
  2. The_Commander

The_Commander The Man. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Surefire.

E2L.
  3. advridgerunner

advridgerunner RESIST WE MUCH !

Oddometer:
    3 cell mag. not a good light ??? :eek1
    I musta' been under a (dark) rock.
  4. Badge320

Badge320 Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer:
    +1 Surefire

My Fav.....Z2 Combat Light...around 129.00
  5. Buccleuch

Buccleuch I'm just a bean, trying to get some sleep... Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOVE my two Surefires. One is a G2Z Combat Light, and the other is a G2LED [in bright yellow, so I can find it].

Tough as nails, and they work. No doubt Surefire will have something that meets your requirements.

WA.
  6. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    :nod Surefire - I have the E2E and love it.
  7. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    This is not a fancy top of the line light.... and it's not LED which means I go through batteries more frequently than I like...

It's is decent.. but not that bright by newer standards

Here's why I ask: I was one of the first people to come upon a two car accident on a dark stretch of interstate near my house recently... once I got out and made sure people were being attended to by other passers by, I got to work clearing a lane of debris and got traffic moving past because I didn't know now long it would take EMS to arrive...and while I was flagging cars past I realized that my Maglite was not up to the task...
  8. jeep44

jeep44 junk collector

Oddometer:
  9. Barike

Barike Spindly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would suggest the Surefire A2 Aviator. I personally have a Surefire E2L Outdoorsman, which I got when I upgraded from a Surefire E2O Outdoorsman (pre LED)... My next Surefire will most likely be an A2 Aviator, which runs about $180 or $190 if I recall correctly. They are GREAT little lights! ("little" being in comparison to the 'D' cell Maglites :rofl) If memory serves me well, the E2L Outdoorsman is as strong(bright) as a 2 'D' cell if not 3 'D' cell Maglite in a package the size of a 'AA' Maglite. :lol3 But the light it puts out is a LOT easier to see. For one it doesn't have the wholes and darker spots in the focal point like the Maglite does.
  10. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Are any LED flashlights bright enough to be used for tunnel exploring? I found some old railroad tunnels near our place at lake cumberland that we went exploring and the couple of little flashlights we had were just crap. I don't want to carry around a 10 million candle power car battery sized thing, but I would also like to be able to see more than ten feet in front of me. :ear

[​IMG]
  11. RedRocker

RedRocker Native Texican Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    compared to pretty much anything modern it is a dud.

Maglite. Heavy, cumbersome, has holes in the light pattern, battery hog even with a LED thingy, and not all too bright even with battery hog high brightness lamp.

Coleman makes a $25.00 single LED flashlight that puts out 115 lumens and the batteries are lasting me a month or so if I use it a lot.
  13. bmc1025

bmc1025 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    D cell LED maglights put out decent light and unlike the surfires they last a long time on one set of batteries. I have left my 4D Maglight on for 8 hours and it was still bright.
  14. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    X3 got one great small, but then there is always a Fleshlight :evil :evil . look it up:lol3
  15. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    my 25 dollar coleman 1 led 2 AA flashlight does at least 20 hours or more on one set of 2 AAs and is way way brighter than even my 4D Maglite.
  16. madjimbo

madjimbo Hertz, Donut?

Oddometer:
    +1 again for Fenix.

As nice as Surefire, without the huge name to raise the cost.

They have many high quality flashlights in many configurations.

I prefer the AA sizes, because it costs the least in batteries to run them per hour/brightness, and the size is manageable. You want a 2 or optimally 3 cell LED flashlight for max brightness UNLESS small length is your ultimate goal, due to electronic limitations (the LED's use about 4 volts, 1- and 2- cell lights use a power upconverter, consequently there is less power available to run the LED when you have fewer cells). Best scenario: single AA for pocket, 3 AA for actual flashlight duty.

OR, if you want to go crazy, get a 2-cell lithium (123 battery size, like camera type) powered light, and a set of rechargeable 123 lithiums. Hella bright, small package. ONLY downside is cost of batteries. Size is between AA and C, closer to AA.

The QUALITY single - cell AA's of today compete easily with the 4D maglites of 10 years ago, amazingly enough.

17. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    subsbd
  18. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    surefires are good, but mine has a tendancy to turn itself on and burn out the 12$ worth of batteries.:baldy

I've abused Pelican lights for years in diving scenarios and this new LED one is pretty damned good and has long battery life.

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=2410

and I buy handfulls of these little LEDS from countycomm. when all you need is a little bit of light for immediate area lighting and seeing what you are grabbing. $1.20 each and the batteries can be had for cheap on ebay
    http://www.countycomm.com/orngled.htm. get the clip version for on your cap :thumb http://www.countycomm.com/ARES SOLED.htm

my little black diamond Ion light on a bungee neck strap is great / handsfree too.
  19. jeep44

jeep44 junk collector

Oddometer:
    I got put off on the Lithium 123- flashlights by the stories of uncontrolled venting and overheating on Candlepower Forum. AA-powered flashlights were just so much more convenient for use at work,where the batteries were free (and 123s were not stocked).
    Maglites: I still keep a 6-cell one next to the bed as an emergency light,and I converted it to LED. At work, I could never understand the Tradesmen who continued to lug those heavy old Maglites around on the job-my little 2-AA Fenix L2T was many times brighter.
  20. a109drvr

a109drvr Adventurer

Oddometer: