pirelli mt-43 trials tire..DOT yes!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by robodave, Oct 22, 2008.

1. robodave

robodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just installed a Pirelli MT-43 on my exc 450. will let you know what happens this weekend.
  2. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Please do! I have one sitting ready to go on my XR just as soon as I wear out the MT-16 that's on it now.
  3. katoomryder

katoomryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been running one all summer, offroad and on. it's been great during dry rocky rides and holds well on the road too. but get into any sitcky gumbo style mud and be prepared to work hard to keep going the direction you want. I had read that prior to buying so I wasn't surprised. for most of the terrain around here (upstate NY - rocks, roots, gravel, with mud thrown in) it works really well. I've put about 1000 miles on it, about half off road, half dirt roads and pavement and it hasn't really worn much at all. no knob chunking, still have pretty good edges. I'll definitely buy another one.
  4. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have that tire on my Husaberg, and agree with you about how well it works on rocks, stumps, roots, etc. I run 7-8 lbs in mine, but have never taken it on pavement. What tire pressure do you run offroad and on pavement? Thanks.
  5. Xcuvator

Xcuvator Justa Venturer

Oddometer:
    I just ran into 3 guys with KTM Thumpers this afternoon with Dunlop and Michelin trials tires. They couldn't be happier with them. Here in Western Or. it is pretty muddy, rocky and rooty. The only complaint was steep downhill.
    Really got me thinking again about trying one. I had the feeling they would be a summer tire only, but......
  6. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Air pressure has quite a bit to do with that. Trials tires are designed to run well under 10 psi.
    That's not very practical for a DS bike ridden on road, so most, out of practical necessity, run at least 12 and up to as much as 20 psi.

The MT43s have a stiffer sidewall, so you can get away with running a little less pressure than the Michelin and Dunlop trials tires.

Drop a trials tire down to 4-8 psi and most of the downhill "feel" issues evaporate.
    Of course, when it's time to leave the trail and take the road home, 8 psi is a little sketchy at 50 mph on asphalt.
    Some carry CO2 bottles or itty bitty pumps and refill their tires for the road.

C
    XR650Lthumper and NC Rick like this.
  7. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Michelin Trials radials make lousy rears for DS work. Tried them twice on the XR, scared me shitless at a little over 35mph as the bike continually crabbed sideways in a straight line. Can't comment on the others, never tried them. But the Michelins work great on trials bikes.
  8. katoomryder

katoomryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm running about 8-10psi all the time. I don't check it often other than to squeeze it with my hand to make sure it's still got air. I'm also running a bridgestone UHD tube, it makes the sides a little stiffer and I don't have to worry about pinch flats.
  9. hawaii-rider

hawaii-rider Go ahead, U pick

Oddometer:
    Been running trials tires for years, in fact every bike in the garage (except the TE610 that JUST arrived) has one on it.

For years folks would sneer and comment about how we didnt have real "knobbies" until they tried to follow us in the rocks roots and snot.
    Tried....
    :rofl
    Mitas also makes a DOT version but it chunked up pretty quick over 40 mph on the road.

If your a slam - power and brake slide and dance rider off road they wont work for you.
    The absolutely SUCK if you try to play "pro" on nice flat grass track...

As has been mentioned, if you run in rocks, roots, dry pack, snotty stuff and clearly with the new MT-43 pavement, once you try one, well you will be a bit upset you didnt change over sooner.

In the dirt only mode we get 3 seasons EASY on a rear.
    Traction is like velcro.
    I run dual rim locks off road, UHD tubes and slime and about 8-10 (max) psi, as long as I dont plan on running anything over 40 mph. get past that with the low pressure and things get religious REALLY FAST
    :deal

bump it up over 15 PSI for road work and is still pretty sweet off road too.

Trials tires are something pretty magic and the low tire pressure softens up the rear suspension as well in the rock and roots...

ONLY thing we run up here off road in Western Washington.

HR
  10. devrodirt

devrodirt devro

Oddometer:
    Same here in NW Arkansas where we have mostly rootz 'n roks. I have been using the IRC radial trial, it works fantastic! I air to about 8-10 off road and maybe 20-25 on road. The tire wears pretty quickly on road but otherwis does fine. I get about 1200 miles of combined trail/road use.
    I can't say anything bad about the tire, it's like cheating on gnarly single track.

I ran into a few riding acquantences who are running the Pirelli MT43 and really like it. These guys are F A S T AA harescramble and enduro riders. They also DS a lot. They are using the Pirelli exclusivly now, both DS and racing. They run 6-7psi off road and 15 on road.
    That sold me, I have my order in for my first Pirelli MT 43.
  11. BuckySevere

BuckySevere BS for short

Oddometer:
    Maybe irrelevant to its performance, but what front tire are you guys using with the MT43?
  12. ropedrag

ropedrag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you were going to race on dirt and gravel roads (not clay just your basic Northwest dirt and gravel forest service road) wet OR dry what are your thoughts on this tire?

The name of the game is speed here as the roads are closed to traffic and are marshaled. It sounds like the traction to twist it up out of the corners would be good. My concern would be how they do hitting 80+ mph for short stretches and how they drift in the corners with that low of pressure. My only concern I guess is how they would handle having the rear locked up to start a slide. I read somewhere that once they loose bite do to a slide they under perform and are a bit scary.

Basically looking for a good RallyMoto tire and to be honest once of the tarmac I'm a noob. Thanks!
  13. kamakaziozzy

kamakaziozzy 3rd Wheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would also be interested in how a trials tire does on gravel. I had a wr450 with trials tires and loved them. Got a lot of miles before knobs started chunkin off. I would like to know how they handle on a xr650l. I ride 40 mi. a day to work and home on rough pavement. play every chance i get on gravel (high speed) and dirt single track. I know they will do great on dirt and single track but would like to hear from someone about gravel and pavement.
    later
  14. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The MT43 is DOT approved to over 90 MPH. It is not like the other Trials tires.
  15. 6fiddy

6fiddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'd love to know how they'd fare on forestry service roads & whether I should go MT 43 on front too or just stick with a 'traditional' knobby on front.
  16. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    The MT43 is only available as a rear. You'll need to run a knobbie of some sort on the front. I still have a Dunlop trials tire on the front of my KLX, but wouldn't recomend it for riders who spend much time on pavement.
  17. robodave

robodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All conditions, from the desert to mountains, this tire has surpassed my expectations....Super traction, comfy ride, and good milage.
    [​IMG]
  18. westy

westy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mt45 s come in two sizes 400x18 rear 275x25 front
    good for mud or rocks,but do'nt like polished granite as my ribs can testify
    heres what we use them for 350 mile on and off-road long distance trials

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06pm4fwSXS8

or high speed sliding with 4 cylinder 1000 s running on methanol

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>[FONT=&quot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKGI7TnWnc[/FONT]

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>

19. fire_strom

fire_strom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sand?
  20. Chris6_85

Chris6_85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how much depth is this tire from the bead to the highest point/knob im wondering if this will fit my honda 230L without changing chain. so if i could get a refrence from where the tire touches the edge of rim to the end of tred that would be awsome
    thankyou