XB12X Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by danger_dave, Feb 19, 2006.

1. UlyRider

UlyRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is a wicked road! Caught myself laughing as I scraped my boot on a tight right hand corner! So sad I will be on the other side of the world working for 60 days! Other than my kids I miss my bike the most!!! I data logged the trip. Need to learn how to remove all the dots and highlight the road...
  2. UlyRider

UlyRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The coolest farkle I am toying with right now is the TunerPro program. You have no idea of how good a bike you really have until you start smoothing out your fuel maps!!! Easier to ride around neighborhoods! No more clutching around slow corners. Smooth linear power and cooler running! And! These engines will run smooth to the point that I can name the car in my rear view mirror!!! :rofl
  3. unlucky1

unlucky1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, people tell me my Uly will shake my fillings out or shake its bolts out or whatever. The idle shake isn't that bad but I'm really not interested in idling the bike. I have a dyno tuned fuel map and it is smooth as butta when it's going.
  4. UlyRider

UlyRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right on! After I get happy with my tune I want to take it to a dyno and see how she does!!!
  5. unlucky1

Oddometer:
    The tuning makes such a difference... I've had the bike for 4 months and it came with a static map on the stock ECM, with the NB O2 disabled. Only this week did the fan come on while riding - after being stick in stop and go (mostly stop) traffic for 20 minutes. By comparison, my friend running the NB O2 has it come on pretty much whenever he rides it.
  6. UlyRider

UlyRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question for you... As I've been learning the TunerPro and read more info than I can retain. After you have your modified map don't you want to turn the 02 sensor back on to compensate for weather and or altitude changes?
  7. Andrejs2112

Andrejs2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What windscreen is that?
  8. UlyRider

UlyRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Madstad.com. 20" Adventure Windscreen. Good quality product and love mine!
  9. unlucky1

Oddometer:
    You may or may not. I've done a lot of reading on this subject and I'm pretty satisfied with what I learned:

The Uly's ECM has what's called learn mode. After a few minutes of steady partial throttle at cruising speed, the ECM will enter learn mode and start reading the O2 sensor to figure out if it's leaner or richer than it expects to be. After a certain # of logic loops with the O2 giving unexpectedly-lean or rich feedback, it will adjust wahts called the AFV and apply a fueling correction to the ENTIRE map based on the corrected AFV (adaptive fuel value or something). And because the stock narrow-band (NB) O2 can only read over/under 14.7 AFR (which is lean-ish and runs the bike HOT) the ECM basically try to correct its entire map close to 14.7 when you really want it running closer to 13.4-13.6.

There are some workarounds. The ASB tuning guide I read suggested tuning the map for 14.7 within the learn-mode RPM/throttle position area, and richer elsewhere. This will make the ECM see 14.7ish at learn mode so it won't correct the whole map too lean, while still feeding it the right amount of fuel when you open the throttle. You'll get good throttle response because it's fueled properly when you give it beans, but it will still run hot when you run it steady on the highway.

My Ulysses simply had the O2 disconnected to work around it - it's tuned for 13.4ish at 70 degrees, sea level, static. Which means once I go past the rockies, I'll be running a little rich since its not actively updating that AFV. From a practical perspective it's similar to doing that run with a carbureted bike, which I've done, and nothing blew up. The drawbacks here: no auto-adjustment for altitude, poorer fuel economy (I get 30-40), and unless you change the RPM at which it looks at the O2 sensor in learn mode to higher than its redline it will throw a code and give you an engine light whenever it tries to read it.

Next year I am probably going to go with a wide-band O2 sensor and get a controller that I can use to emulate the narrow-band O2 sensor, but over/under any AFR I want, so that the bike tries to correct itself to the proper AFR instead of the EPA AFR.

Was that any help?
  10. UlyRider

UlyRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! I will probably read it four or five more times to allow it to sink in. Out of everything I have done to my bike this has been the most fun to learn. Just in the small amount of tuning I have done it is running so much better. I love it! Thanks for the info!!! I need to get ASB's tuning guide. I've been also going through the Tuning Guide from ECMSpy. And that has been quite the learning curve...
  11. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ECMspy was a pain in the A$$ to get working right. But it was a great experience because I learned so much about my bike (and fuel injection in general). Totally worth the time, because in the end you're educated and your bike runs much better.
  12. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    I hooked up the ecmpsy program on my uly one time after I bought it, saw all it can do and decided I didn't want to waste the brain cells to figure it all out. :lol3

I need to find a uly geek somewhat local to me who will help me fine tune mine in for food and drinks. :freaky

Mine runs like pure crap below 3000 rpm. I fully understand that statement about clutching around slow corners and the pain in the ass that is riding in subdivisions. I have to keep mine above 3000 rpms, but I will admit it runs perfect from there to redline.
    Also, My fan goes on high about the time it gets warmed up until I turn the bike off. I have never heard it take a break. :dunno
  13. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    From the Droid phone the other day. Lonely Colorado 9 in Park County, CO...

[​IMG]
  14. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a photo of your bike on my desktop at work. Nice ride and beautiful scenery!
  15. bambr

bambr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    24.06.2012 near Pemberton, BC.

[​IMG]

one more

[​IMG]
  16. jjdavidson

jjdavidson Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. Snooz

Snooz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bragg Creek Alberta, down by the swollen banks of the Elbow River Monday June 26
    And the ubiquitous sign pic[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy "Round up the usual suspects"

Oddometer:
    The majority of Uly fuel related issues can be bypassed, in our opinion with the EBR ECM.

$305 shipped with a good map for your setup.

Give it a try.

Regards

:norton
  19. Bryn1203

Bryn1203 Dances with spaniels

Oddometer:
    I did on 2008 stage 1 tuned - it gave more top end and runs smoother but also was temperamental and changed it for a new standard ECU which was better - but currently have bottom end problems - which is probably a sensor though.
  20. unlucky1

Oddometer:
    Near Darrington, WA on the Mountain Loop Highway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]