Need input for a new bike, help me out!!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by spddmn, Mar 16, 2009.

1. spddmn

spddmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've really been considering adding another bike to the garage and wanted to get all of your opinions, because I think I may be leaving a good option for a bike out. What I really want is a bike that is comfortable to take on long highway trips(of several thousand miles), yet be able to take a dirt road(or even a little worse) from time to time and not get all undone. I had a KLR 650 (2008) and I absolutely loved the bike, but it had issues, so unfortunately I sold it. I loved what it could do, and frankly I loved everything about that bike. I am considering replacing it with a DR650(which would need some long-distance touring mods), but it could easily take the place of my KLR, and I wouldn't feel bad when I dropped it on its side, which is inevitable. Also, I've been kind of considering a Triumph Bonneville ( I know I know its not very dirt worthy, but its a lot more dirt worthy than my Ninja is, and it would be wayyy more comfy on the long haul, plus, just look at it. Also, there are a lot of tire choices out there for the Bonneville, which could make it handle even better on dirt. Actually I'm pretty open to any bike at this point, but I have criteria:

1. Must be under $7500
    2. Must be able to carry/attach luggage of some kind(preferably a locking top box too)
    3. Must be able to do dirt/gravel roads on occasion
    4. I don't want a DL650 cause they are absolutely atrocious looking, nor do I want a Scrambler because the pipes bother me when I rode it a couple weeks ago.

I'll heading on a 2500 mile trip here in a couple months and am kind of dreading taking the ninja on such a long trip. I've done it before on the Ninja and I hurt for days and days, which doesn't make the trip all that enjoyable.

Give me your suggestions, at this point I'm open to check anything out. Feel free to tell me about any bike you think would fit this, and why. Thanks guys.
  2. Bimble

Bimble In giro in moto

Oddometer:
  3. BigJohnBundy

BigJohnBundy Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer:

How about these? Tigers are good bike for the stuff you are looking for..
    http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/1077266667.html
  4. seat_boy

seat_boy Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had (and just sold) a DR650. Yes, it can legally go on the highway, but it's not a great highway bike by any means. Too tall, too light, too stretched out at highway speeds. I've also had an F650, a Transalp, and a KLR, and those were all much better highway bikes than the DR (OK, maybe only some what better in the KLR's case).

How about a nice middle weight standard? FZ6, etc. Or look into the recent thread here about middle weight sport touring bikes.

Anyway, my point is, if your first need is highway travel, with only a few dirt roads, I'd steer away from the DR and its ilk.

Eric
  5. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not all KLRs have issues. If you loved the bike, why not just get another? You could buy pre-2008 or 2009 with room to spare in your budget.

Or maybe a Versys.
  6. spddmn

spddmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in central Kansas, and actually I do ride quite a few dirt/gravel/even sandy roads around here when I go see the family, or go fishing, etc. So I would love a bike capable of that. I already have the ninja, so I'm not really interested in anything like an FZ6. Plus I would love something that didn't have an inline 4. I can't bring myself to buy another KLR. Yeah my KLR was one of those 2008's with problems, but even though it drank oil(i'm talking lots of oil, 3 quarts in 2400 miles once) Kawasaki Heavy Industries told me that it was "acceptable" and they weren't going to rebuild the top end or do anything to the bike. That pissed me off, so I can't buy another KLR, and I'm not sure I could give Kawi my money for a Versys either. I might have to look into older (955's) Tigers, as I hear great things about them and they are relatively inexpensive. Keep the opinions coming though.
  7. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    FZ6 is a nice idea. I really liked the kawasaki Versys (it looks much better in real life).
    Used; W650 or BMW R80. Either will handle just about anything you throw at them (and I know this from experience).
  8. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:

Yes
  9. Audacious Nick

Audacious Nick Forever indecisive

Oddometer:
    FZ6, Bandit 600 or 1200, Original Concours, Wee or V-strom
  10. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    It's a shame the Scrambler didn't fit you. I'd think it would be near perfect for what you want since you like that style. I wouldn't give up on the Bonneville idea though, it's perfectly capable of doing what you're after. Plus, it is listed at 8hp more than the scrambler and a $800 lower MSRP.

I was looking at Scramblers just this afternoon. Didn't manage a test ride because there was no demo at the moment, but he's going to call when one is available. New '08s are quite reasonable at the moment.

And you're right, they are a joy to look at.
  11. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Your parameters leave you open to literally a multitude of choices...I think I would just keep on looking around...spring is in the air.
  12. spddmn

spddmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I absolutely loved everything about the scrambler, except that when I was riding it the exhaust was touching my leg the whole time. It never got too hot or anything, but just a little annoying. It felt "cramped" on the right side of the bike, otherwise I would say it is exactly what would be perfect for me. My dad lives off in the sand hills and rides his three Harley's through foot-deep sand on a daily basis, so with some better suited tires I have no doubt that a bonneville could handle those conditions better than his harley's.