Modular helmet recomendation

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by toniguedes, Feb 15, 2013.

1. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Competition Accessories sells the N104 for around $339 and I believe the shipping is free. May want to check them out.
  2. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca Right2Repair

Oddometer:
  3. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity, did you look at the HJC IS-Max and/or Sy-Max, and if so, what were your thoughts on it? I currently ride w/ a HJC Carbon Fiber FF, but I tried one of these on yesterday (forget which) when I was hanging around the dealer and it seemed pretty nice. The Sy-Max III got a decent write up at WBW, is pinlock compatible, and it's less than $300. If you want to add the Chatterbox BT audio system, it's only ~$200 (the Nolan system is more expensive).

Edit - I should also mention I also have a Nolan N102. It's OK, but a bit loud, and the shell seems really large - I feel like a bobble-head with it on. Maybe the newer ones are better.
  4. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    I went from Shoei Multitec to Nolan N-104 last spring.

I did end up taking some padding from the N-104's cheek pads when they didn't break in in time for a road trip. I was getting a real head ache from them on my cheeks. Other than that the fit was and is good for me.

N-104 to me has better -
    Visibility
    Noise Level
    Air-Flow
    Lighter Weight
    Buckle
    Removable Liner
    Pin Lock
    Helmet will go on and off over my glasses (ymmv)

Shoei over N-104 -
    Composite Construction
    Visor Dentent (spaced right at 1st open position)
  5. Twinz

Twinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 104 is gets excessive wind noise on one side. Nolan replaced the neck roll with one with more padding, but that didn't solve the problem. I'm thinking wearing a bandana may cure the noise problem. Otherwise it's the best modular I've owned.
  6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very important to find what actually fits comfortably on your head. Heads and helmets all come in various sizes and shapes. Only a few work well together.

Also lets you see how well the helmet functions, and if you think it will survive a crash. Two I admired recently are good examples of that. Something called a Hawk. The chinbar locks with plastic clips to plastic tabs. Probably the flimsiest modular I've ever seen. Another was G-Force. Metal pins, Brass, 1/16". Maybe it would take a hit and stay together, but I doubt it. I'd have never seen these important parts without actually holding the helmet in my own hands.
  7. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:

Thanks, bud.
  8. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    I just got my Neotec on Friday. I ordered a medium instead of the normal large that I usually wear in other brands. I did the measurments and ordered according to there chart. It fits a little snug in the cheeks but the rest is very comfortable. I ordered new cheek pads one size thinner. That should cure the cheek fit.
    I just mounted a Sena SMH10R headset and it sounds great with this helmet. The speakers fit perfectly behind the ear pads.
    This is my first Shoei but I do like it right now. I did try on the Schuberth before buying this. It did not fit my head at all.
  9. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    You won't be disappointed with that hat. Loving mine. I am looking at a comm system too. Glad to hear about the Sena.
  10. Noth

Noth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my 4 year old Muti tec.. The big issue for me with moving to a Neotech was the Pinlock, better ventalation and the internal sun visor... I wear glasses and switching the face shields when it gets dark is a pain..
  11. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Dastard

Dastard Just another guy

Oddometer:
    Rotate your watch 90 degrees.

DK
  13. toniguedes

toniguedes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve,

Yeah, I've saw the video!
    Very tempting, but it's a little beyond my budget.

Do you think it may worth the extra money?

thank you.
  14. toniguedes

toniguedes Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hi,
    I already have a Scala G4 I want to move to my new helmet.
    How easy it was to mount/position the Sena mic on the Neotec?
    thank you.
  15. toniguedes

toniguedes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Last year, when I was in US, I planned to buy a Shoei Multitec, but that time I was traveling with three women and it was virtually impossible to visit more than one dealer, since I was not driving (I've lost my driver's license :cry), so I ended up buying my helmet at the first place we went (a bwm dealer at Escondido/CA)...

Sure, Multitec is a very good option too.

thanks
  16. Ricorider

Ricorider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Toniguedes,

Bom Dia! Don't worry about your English. There are plenty of Brasileiros in Rhode Island and Boston, mostly from Minas Gerais. I spent 8 years in Boston and there are no true "discount" stores there for motorcycle gear but plenty of dealers. A few recommendations in the Boston area: Greater Boston Motorsports (Arlington, MA) and Riverside Motorsports (Somerville, MA). I recommend going to one of these OR buying online through Revzilla or Motorcycle Superstores once you know your size and what you want.

There are some good Brazilian restaurants in Cambridge and Somerville Massachusetts (churrascaria). Check out the Midwest Grill in Inman square, Cambridge. It is close to Riverside Motorsports.

Good luck!

Rich
  17. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    The Sena mic fit perfectly behind the cheek pad. There is a nice flat area on the plastic that the cheek pad snaps into. It allows the velcro pad a nice flat spot to stick to. The mic is centered exactly in front of my mouth and I do not have to move it to remove the helmet.
    I removed the ear pads and used the self adhesive pads to stick the speakers right on the helmet shell. There are nice recesses for the speakers. The pads install nicely over the speakers and they do not put any pressure on my ears at all.
    I am so impressed with this helmet. The sun shield lowers to the perfect position for me. Does not come close to my nose as other brands have in the past. The pin lock installed easily and the shield removes with little effort when needed.
    2 thumbs up!:thumbup:thumbup
  18. toniguedes

toniguedes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot!:thumbup
    That changed my options a bit...

I'll be in the U.S. only for two weeks, and as there are no discounted places there, I 'm thinking of buying through Revzilla to be delivered to my hotel a little before I get there, so if there are problems with the fit and size I'll have enough time to exchange it for another or try other options at one of those places that you showed me.

I must confess that after a few days in the U.S. I miss our food here in Brazil, so I am carefully writing down your suggestions on my travel book.:thumb

Best regards

Toni
  19. toniguedes

toniguedes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great info.

If there is no fitting problem I'll buy a Neotec!:clap

Thanks
  20. brooklyn slim

brooklyn slim nasty, brutish and tall

Oddometer:
    Bom dia, Toni. No worries, your English is 100 times better than my Portuguese.

I will agree with all who said fit is most important - there are few bad helmets anymore, only those that lack features you want or that don't fit.

Greater Boston motorsports in Arlington (outside Boston) carries both the Schuberth and Neotec. They'll knock 30 or 40 bucks off the price if you ask, but that's it. I tried both, found the Neo a much better fit, and will pick one up in the spring.

Good luck.