Renting a bike in italy

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by Luna Negra, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Luna Negra

Luna Negra Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would like to rent a bike in Italy for three weeks for 2-up travel next year. Looking for something to pick up in Milan and drop off in Rome with no mileage fees. Can anybody recommend a good provider? From the prices I see on-line, it's almost cheaper to buy a scooter than rent a bike. Thanks!
  2. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out Ad Mo Tours in Italy. They're the only major player I know with multiple locations. I've had great service from BiancoBlu in Milano, but he's only got that one shop.

And yes, it is expensive. That's why I have an old bike stashed in Germany now.
  3. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can also only speak for biancoblu, we rented from him this year and no issues at all.
  4. CourtFisher

CourtFisher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, AdMo, is a reputable provider,
    http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/europe/italy/milan_rental.html.
    but they show multiple Italy locations because they are a broker for
    different independent agencies in those locations.
    AdMo's "Milan" rentals are actually from the dealer
    http://www.lofficinamoto.it/index.html, in the town of Crema; further from
    Milan airport than any of the other rental agents; you'll incur some
    additional time/ expense to get there, or be charged for an airport pickup.

From Milan, there are basically three reputable rental agencies:
    http://biancoblu.com/eng/index.html
    http://www.mototouring.com/index.php?id=44
    http://www.rent-a-dream.it/home.ctr
    (which actually has a direct partnership and shows locations in both Milan &
    Rome with http://www.rent-a-dream.it/home.ctr)
    Even with "office" locations in both Milan & Rome, you may be charged extra
    for one-way rentals.

You need to check out (including tel & email confirmation) rates & conditions from any of the above, to figure the best solution for your particular circumstances/ timing/ preferences.

As you & Michael already note, a 3 week rental from any of these folks will
    be expensive, but may still fit your bill, if you have no plan to return for repeat riding anytime soon. Good luck.
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Court (as usual) is absolutely right. I've rented from Mototouring, which is easy to reach by trian/subway from Malpensa, and they can arrange local lodging. Look carefully at price options; usually there is a "standard" rate with 200km per day "free", with a fairly steep per-kilometer fee for "extra" mileage above that, versus "unlimited" mileage, which is more expensive but will save you money if you plan to ride a lot. Also, AdMoto is a broker, who will arrange the rental through a variety of providers; you save money contacting them directly yourself, but save time and effort by letting Ewe do it for you. And yes, it will be expensive, but worth it.
  6. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bikes we rented from Biancoblu were with unlimited mileage.
  7. musicman

musicman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mototouring
    Biancoblue
    CIMT has depots in Milano and Roma
  8. musicman

musicman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eligio and his rental gal Mariaelena are good folks. In addition to the above transportation from airport I find it quicker/easier to take the Malpensa bus to the "central bus depot" and a cab from there to Mototouring for 8 euros. The Agapi hotel near his shop is an excellent 3-star hotel for around 80 euro per night. There is a subway stop across the street from the hotel should you want to venture down to the Piazza Duomo.
  9. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Kilometrage? :wink: :D
  10. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL...Kilometraje ilimitado.
  11. RT1100

RT1100 n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used or heard any reviews of Motorcycle Rentals HP Motorrad (BMW motorcycle rentals in Milan - Rome - Crema - Este Padua - Verona - Terni - Perugia)? They have a nice website http://www.motorbikerentitaly.com/ seem to offer competitive rates and service and were very responsive in their reply to my email.
  12. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Daily rates are excellent, and when I plug in my normal mileage(@ €0.20/km), they'e still competitive. I wonder what their charges are for luggage/tankbag rentals?

For example - Bianco Blu charges €1040 for a R1200GS for a week with unlimited kilometrage and side & top cases.

HP charges €525 for the same bike, but assuming 2,000km over the week adds €400 to the tab for a total of €925. If there's a rental fee for luggage, they're right up there with everyone else.

I tend to be suspicious of anything that sounds too good to be true :wink: - but these guys seem to pass the giggle test for pricing.

Let us know if you rent from them.
  13. Vlad.tm.ro

Vlad.tm.ro n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

I worked with Eligio (Mototourung) for years by now, they are quite trusty of good service. They have a dropp off service in Rome too, but extra charge applies.

Vlad
  14. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, I remember that thread. The black text on dark grey was basically unreadable to me, so I probably missed your usage of the word.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :D
  16. bogriffinrides

bogriffinrides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too rented a bike from Mototouring with good success (and, had a great trip). I know it is expensive, but a great trip. Good luck with your journey.

Bo Griffin
    http://www.bogriffinrides.com/html/Italy2012.htm

17. Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any recent experiences with any motorcycle rentals in Italy? Looking to rent for at least a week next May.
  18. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    I haven't rented in Italy since 2008, but the usual suspects (BiancoBlu, MotoTouring & AdMo) are still in business - so either they're doing something right or have a steady stream of one-time customers.

I've heard good and bad things about all of them. My only experience is with BiancoBlu (3 rentals) and I had good experiences each time.
  19. despistao

despistao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rented a BMW R1200 GS LC in Milano, last August, for a wonderfull 10 days trip around the Swiss Alps, Stevio, Gavia and Italian Dolomiti mountains.

http://www.motorbikerentitaly.com/

A Brand new bike, with barely 9.000 km on it, almost new tyres, fully equipped (riding modes, Dynamic ESA, led lights, heated grips - believe me, i had to use them in august, Stelvio summit was 6 degrees Celsius and raining, 2 OEM panniers, OEM top case and Sat Nav preparation - i brought my own Navigator)

Being such a big city (at least for european standars), it was an easy place to reach. I landed in Milano Malpensa airport around midday, took the Malpensa Express train to Milano Cadorna Station + a short ride by taxi and, not more tan one hour after landing, i was packing all my belongings on the bike and still had time to leave Milano and go to sleep to a cozy place near the Lake Como.

They were very easy to deal with, very fast answers by email, excelent english (in fact better tan mine), and everything was as advertised in their web site.

A truly good experience. I'm afraid it won't be the last one with them. :evil
  20. Cameleer

Cameleer Back to Real Life

Oddometer:
    Rented a 1200RT twice with CIMT in Rome and quite happy with it, besides, they're hosting my own bike in Milan since last June. Very good guys, send Francesco an email he owns the joint and keeps a hands-on eye on it.
    www.cimt.it