Tiger800XC Write off

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Dubl-A, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Hi all,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I'm posting in the Beast section as I would like to hear actual owners and possibly actual experience of these owners if they exist pertaining to my situation. Last week I was getting my taxes done at a local shopping center, parked my 2012 XC on its center stand in a parking space near a curb away from other spaces. A woman stopped for supplies at another store and accidentally left her van in drive which proceeded to hit and drag my bike across the space and over the curb. The van was locked and running when I came out. After lifting the bike I could see the crash bars had been smashed into the case, almost every surface on the left side had road rash and the rear pegs looked bent.
    The woman had insurance and was able to submit a claim while we were in the parking lot. I have been visited by an AAA insurance adjuster who felt the frame and case were damaged beyond repair and this most likely would be a write-off. I have not received a call from her insurance since and I would like to be more informed before speaking with them.
    Few questions: Have any of you had this experience? I have seen guys here and other forums sheer off pegs and result in write-offs. I can only find NADA value on it NOWHERE else other than MSRP. How would they value this bike as it is so new and waiting list material here in NM? I only had 9 months with her & 5k on the clock and have dropped nearly 2k in accessories, how do I recoup that or negotiate with the insurance adjuster for replacement or cash out?
    Any help is greatly appreciated all, thanks in advance!!!

Aaron

Here's a quick pic:

[​IMG]
  2. freefall109

freefall109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn. Sorry to hear that. No experience with write-offs on a bike. I once had a jeep that was totaled out by insurance because the frame was bent. I negotiated with insurance to receive a payment and keep it so I could pursue having it repaired. Have you thought about calling the local Triumph dealer to get their opinion on the damaged rear peg/ frame and associated costs? Maybe they would have a different opinion.
  3. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I haven't dealt with bike replacement specifically, but I've dealt with insurance after car accidents in which the other party was at fault.

There are basically two ways you can pursue this. You can go through your own insurance and let them deal with her insurance through subrogation; in this case, typically your insurance would pay your claim, and they'd collect that payout from her insurance. The other thing you can do is leave your insurance out of it completely, which in this case would probably be a good idea so you don't have a claim history with them. Just go directly to her insurance to file your claim. It's more work for you, but sometimes that's worth it.

Given the damage you describe, I can't imagine that her insurance's adjuster wouldn't also total the bike. It doesn't take much to total a bike. Be aware, though, that when they come up with a dollar value to offer you, you don't have to accept it if you feel they're lowballing you. Claim replacement cost of not only the bike but all your accessories -- and explain to them the lack of availability of used bikes, so to replace it you'll have to buy new. Get a dealer to back you up if necessary.

You could find it to be a quick, relatively painless process, settled within a week or two, or you could find it to take months to resolve. I've experienced both.

Best of luck; sucks to hear about the damage. If someone did this to my Tiger I'd be in serious danger of flying into a homicidal rage!

--mark
  4. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't depend upon the other persons insurance to take care of this - assuming you have coverage get your guys involved now
  5. IndyTiger800

IndyTiger800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have a good relationship with your dealer, then go to them and have then give you a quote for the selling price for your bike used, stock.

Next have a list for all of the items that you have installed on the bike.
    List new replacement cost and include your labor if you installed them. If the dealer has installed them then the labor will be in the cost of the item.

Do not take their first offer. Don't get upset with them just hold your ground.
    Remember they are paid to get this settled and it was their cliants falt.

PS. dibs on the rear shock.:rofl
  6. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, depending on how much you want to be involved, this is what I would do too. Sure, you can handle it yourself, but that could be a lot of phone calls and followups trying to get them to pay up. You pay a good chunk of money to your insurance company for a reason, you can let them take care of the dirty work. Though, there is also the potential of making your premiums go up if you use your insurance co.

On the other hand though, since there's no personal injury involved, it might be a lot easier time of getting your check. In any case, I do think you should be comped for your accessories, especially if you have receipts.
  7. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Thanks all who responded, great info to chew on!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I should note that NADA, the only place I can find value listed does NOT have a mileage calculation option either.<o:p></o:p>
    I will definitely reach out to the local dealer to see if they can provide used pricing w/ options as well.<o:p></o:p>
    My insurance has a $500 deductable so I'd really like to avoid using them as I would tie up more cash in this process and I have a feeling I'm already going to take a hit in general.<o:p></o:p>
    If anyone else has had any experience with their insurance please don't hesitate to chime in!<o:p></o:p>
    I appreciate this site as there are many helpful, knowledgeable people willing to help, thanks again guys!!<o:p></o:p>
  8. IndyTiger800

IndyTiger800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you do go through your insurance co. you will most likely be charged your deductible till they settle with the other insurance co.
    It took over 2 years to get back my deductible on a finder binder my wife was involved in that was the other drivers fault.
    It did not cause the payments to increase.
  9. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This.

I crashed my 1984 VF500F, destroyed the plastics, bent forks, etc. Insurance co. guy said it had a salvage value of $700. I said no way, called a local salvage yard, he said it was worth $50, and the insurance guy met me in the middle at $300, which was about right given the still usable bits of it.

So, like Mark said, don't be afraid to negotiate the value of your loss with the insurance adjuster, you should be able to then recover some of your accessory cost and lessen the monetary loss considerably.
  10. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've only been in one accident (where insurance had to get involved, at least) and since the other person was at fault, my deductible never came into it. The only out of pocket expense I had was for the rental car while mine was in the shop. I didn't have the rental car as part of my insurance plan, but I was reimbursed for it later by the other person's insurance. It did take a few phone calls for that though.
  11. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Just spoke with my local dealer and they are willing to provide a letter on availability and costs on my behalf.

Great guys over at PJ's Triumph in Albq, NM!! :clap
  12. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    How much did you have invested in the bike?? We're talking a 2012 rolled out of the dealer at over $14k with TTL and accessories 9 months ago. Salvage is NOT an option in my mind how could I accept that??!! I need a replacement used or new at the very least.
  13. crazyjeeper

Oddometer:
    I had maybe $1000 in it, but it was insured on an agreed value of $2000.

I think you may have misunderstood my post, or I misunderstand the situation. Are you looking for the insurance co to buy you a new Tiger, or cut you a check for the replacement cost so you can then buy one yourself?
  14. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    I am amazed that you had $1k invested and you settled for $300 :eek1

I know they won't buy me a new bike, it's a seperate check that needs to cover what was owed which is almost half the MSRP and a check to cover (how much???) the difference to me. I need to get taken care of as I had ZERO fault in this at all. :becca
  15. crazyjeeper

Oddometer:
    Ok, you did misunderstand me. Salvage value was $300. Insurance was for $2000. Insurance co wrote me a check for $1700 on the spot, and I kept the wreck.
  16. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

No, you withheld information :lol3

Either way, you made out well!
  17. crazyjeeper

Oddometer:
    Same difference. :D

Anyways, good luck in your dealings with the insurance co, I know I would be damn near homicidal if that happened to me.
  18. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you negotiated and lost money is what you're saying here or am I missing something? You should have called William Shatner.:lol3
  19. crazyjeeper

Oddometer:
    Maybe true, but I actually made money, see above.:deal
  20. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Also, since this is prime riding season and I usually commute on the bike back and forth from work. What are my chances of rental reimbursments or daily fees??