Return to Panama

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dwj - Donnie, Feb 12, 2014.

1. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    It has been a while since I done a Ride Report, so I will do my best to get one done this trip. :deal

I was in Dallas, TX January to pick up my new to me 2010 KTM 990 Adventure. A low mileage moto with 6,540 miles. :D

[​IMG]

I left my daughter's in Dallas and went to Mississippi to my sister's house, which I use as my Official Residence, applied for my title, got a tag and inspection sticker. I also mounted/installed a number of items I had order to be delivered to my sister's house. I did not order the 20 to 35 degree temps I worked in the do this work. I also checked and adjusted the valves.
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    listo seƱor
  3. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    After completing everything I returned to Dallas and visited with my daughter and grand-daughter for a few days before leaving for Escuintla, MX. Escuintla is where Ana and I stay at her parents house when not traveling. 1,700 miles in three days! 1,200 of those in Mexico, with Mexico roads I might add.

The new moto is doing great! :clap I didn't check this morning, but it has probably passed the 10,000 mile mark by now.
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hola! :D
  5. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't really consider the riding up till now as part of the trip. The trip started yesterday when we left Ana's house. We are in no big hurry. I think we barely passed 200 miles yesterday!

For the most part there is no plan, just a general direction. After Palenque, we will pass by Johana's house in Merida. I met Johana in El Salvador a couple years ago, she has since married a fellow in Mexico and relocated. Ana and I visited her in El Salvador last year and told her we would visit again when she got to Mexico.

From there we will pass through Cancun, quickly I might add. Go down to Chetumal and then cross into Belize. After Belize the plan is Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Ricca and northern Panama. That is the extent of the planning. We will make it up as we go. In other words, the same way we always do! :lol3

The time frame is loose as well. I need to be back in Dallas by May 1. So basically, we just need to arrive at Ana's house in time to spend a few days before I go to Dallas. The one thing that may affect this is if my sister gets a contract to sell my recently deceased father's house. As Executor, I must be present for the closing. So, if she gets a sale contract with a 30 day closing, I will have to begin making plans!
  6. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    We left the house at 9:00. It warmed up a bit and then we started into the mountains on MX190. The temp which had reached the high 80s started dropping and before long it dipped to 62 degrees. Nice riding. Very Very crooked hilly mountain roads. Much of the time, we were within a stone's throw of Guatemala. After three hours of riding we stopped at a convenience store - fuel station. While I was attending to some things with the moto, Ana went in and bought a burrito and some chips. I joined her at the stand up type tabe where there was several other young folks eating a prepared meal. They were all employees of the location, but there food was home made. After a few minuites of conversation with the normal questions about the moto and our trip, one of the fellows brings me over a plate with a big fried chicken breast, macoroni and guacamole. :clap We continued to talk as we eat.

I went to get the camera to take pictures and they came outside. We didn't get any names, I don't even know the name of the small community. But here they are:

[​IMG]

Cute, ain't she? :D

[​IMG]
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    The group.

[​IMG]

Part of the group with Ana.

[​IMG]
  8. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

And then we had to get moving.
  9. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    A person bridge outside of town.

[​IMG]
    Phipsd likes this.
  10. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking over the Plaza as we had dinner.

[​IMG]

Ana was having a good time!

[​IMG]

Me too! :D

[​IMG]
    Phipsd likes this.
  11. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a tough life down here! :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Phipsd likes this.
  12. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're livin' the life, man. Blessed you are :deal
  13. PhillipsMetal

PhillipsMetal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks like a great trip so far!!! i am on board :clap:clap:clap
  14. farrell caesar

farrell caesar Seezer

Oddometer:
    Hey Donnie. We are having a warm spell up here. They say it could be 60 next week. We are headed for Tijuana in 2 weeks for dental work. I can't find my passport so I may have to go to Chicago to the regional office to get it the same day. I may have left it in Montreal last September. Seems like every time I leave to escape the cold it gets warm at home. You and Ana have a great trip
  15. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you are living large Donnie.
    Stop by the house on your way back through. You can help me check my valves. :rofl
  16. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    Donnie, hi!

Looks like you are going to have a GREAT adventure!

Don't come this way, to Vermont, yet. It's -6 F here.

Have an awesome time!

Hugs,

Liz

PS: If you have any mechanical issues, always feel free to get in touch.
  17. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I am doing the best I can! :D

Hi John! When do you head south?
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

That is the way it always goes. But look at it this way, it will get back cold there, here it will not! :deal

That is truly a pain in the butt, and that is just checking them :eek1 Adjusting them is a whole lot worse! :cry In the end it is not that bad, I did it in very cold temps. I will help you! I can also send you the link I used as a guide.
  19. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I was just thinking about you the other day. :deal How are you doing? :huh If you know as much about the KTMs as you do the BMWs I am sure you will be hearing from me :deal
  20. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK! My computer is finally logged on. I think I got all the punctuation and spelling corrected! :evil