Bikes/Scoots you regretted selling?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by YamaGeek, Feb 20, 2014.

1. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    I wasn't sure if I really wanted to post this thread, first off I've never owned what would be honestly called a scooter, even though my Cub comes close to the moniker. It bothers me to reflect on bikes I rather would have kept, either by choice or circumstance.

But I think some self-reflection isn't a bad thing. I've owned many bikes in my time. There are a few I was truly sad to see leave.

Do you have a tale of woe and regret about the ones that got away? Yeah I know, it's just stuff, and we can always get another bike and become enthralled with another new or used two wheeler.
  2. oldbutspry

oldbutspry Adventure is my middle name!

Oddometer:
    None.

I bought my only scooter last year and still have it.

For motorcycles, I like the two I have now better than any I had in the past. I enjoyed some bikes in the past like my KLX650 and my first bike, a 1976 YZ125. Also, I wouldn't mind having another AR80 like I had when I was 15. But I've had chances to buy one and haven't bothered. Really, I know it would just be a toy that I would get bored with right away so what's the point.

I do really, really want an older Cagiva Mito. I used to lust after them in the early 90's but never owned one. I want one just like this even though it's not practical for anything:

[​IMG]
  3. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish I had never sold my vtr1000 it was a rare colour never saw another and had great mods and was so clean ill never get another like it. I also had a zx6r in better than new condition wont ever see one like it again.

when I look back now I realise I didnt need the money that badly.
  4. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    Scooter? Yamaha QT50. Only scooter I ever owned. Loved the fact you could leave a key in it and no one would bother taking it.

So it was mint apart from scratches here and there, worn discs, and some paint chipping =P
    OU812 and OLDNX like this.
  5. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    No scooters, the only ones I have sold so far were 50cc, and just too small for me. As for motorcycles:

2 1983 Yamaha XS650s, both bought new
    1 1987 Honda Magna, bought new
    1 1982 Honda Passport, bought used but near mint
    1 1966 Triumph Bonneville, bought used. I miss this one most of all
    And I'll toss in every non v-twin cruiser I've ever owned.
    Z1bikes likes this.
  6. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Well, I also said 'bikes' so any motorcycle could apply to this.
    Hoggdoc likes this.
  7. bandito2

bandito2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple actually. Kind of miss the fun riding a Yamaha Riva 200. It was a workhorse for me years ago delivering
    newspapers on a motor carrier route in the wee hours of night just off campus in Ann Arbor MI. It was fun to ride
    while not busy working the route too.

I had an '87' Helix that was the most comfortable ride I ever owned. It was a bit lacking as far as power goes when
    using it on the expressway. Eventually I sold it so I could buy an engine for an ultralight trike that I used for flight
    instruction. After 9/11/01 and moving far from the flight field, I sold my flying machine for a song and got back into
    riding bikes. I got a Honda Reflex because it had a little more grunt than the Helix but was not quite as nice as far
    as ride comfort goes. I still think about that pretty red "Sweet N' Low" from time to time. Often wished they had
    made the Helix with a 350cc engine. It would have been perfect for me.
  8. maddiedog

maddiedog In dog we trust

Oddometer:
    Honda PC800. 1996, red, under 20k miles when I bought her... Me and my wife called it a scooter because of the smoothness and underseat storage. It was a wonderful bike, with gas mileage (50-60mpg) being its only downside. She was beautiful, but I don't think I'll ever end up with another. They're too hard to come by, and it's impossible to find a deal like I got on it (I spend $2400 on it). We put over 20k miles on that bike in less than a year and a half, riding all over the Southeast.

Here she was right before I sold her:

[​IMG]
    OU812 likes this.
  9. emmettken

emmettken Long timer

Oddometer:
    1978 r100/7
  10. MiniBike

MiniBike Still here...

Oddometer:
    CX500C. Bought it new in '80. Kept it for a dozen years. It its last iteration, it had a Vetter Quicksilver fairing and was set up for 2-3 day solo trips. Bike was bland, but the motor was sweet. Wish I still had it - just to build something different around the motor.

I did more aimless wandering on that bike than any other. From the Florida Keys, NOLA or the Carolina mountains, it never complained a bit. I spotted it parked outside a bar about 6 months after I traded it on a new GW. Ratty and wrecked (but rideable). As I was walking around it reminiscing, the owner hobbled out of the bar. Leg cast, arm cast and road rash. I felt a little better, but decided not to offer him the box of OEM parts I still had at home.
    OU812 likes this.
  11. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol no it was mint I bought my hornet new and it only has less than 1500 miles and its not as clean
  12. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    2004 Helix. Fun and comfortable.
    OU812 likes this.
  13. tbonestone

tbonestone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2005 Stella... I'm hoping the wife will let me fill the gaping hole in my scooter heart.
  14. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    sportcity 250. just a great errands + play scoot for suburbia.
  15. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kind of regret the sale of the SR. That was such a fun bike for squirting around on and people were always surprised how it rolled with traffic instead of being a road block.

I regret not buying a bike I sold for a buddy and delivered to an ADV rider(he joined just to buy the bike). It was a 1986 SRX600 by Yamaha. I loved that bike. Did my only 1,000 miles in 24 hours on it. It fought me for it too.
  16. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    There are three that I wish I still had: My 1970 Honda CB350, My 76 Suzuki GT550 triple and my 03 Suzuki Intruder 1400. Of the three, the GT550 is missed the most. I was out for a ride with a friend who was riding a 500 Titan and he asked,"when does your bike get on the pipe?" " It has power right from idle" "You're full of sh*t". A ride swap ensued and he couldn't believe it. In comparison the Suzuki 500 Titan was like my 75 waterBuffalo; relatively peaky, not getting on the pipe until 3500.
    OU812 and John in Seattle like this.
  17. knucklehead90

knucklehead90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hands down - a1968 Triumph Bonneville I bought in 70 after selling my 68 Kawasaki H1 500. I bought it from a guy who's wife was scared of it - she refused to ride on the back. He had rode it only 300 miles in the one+ year he owned it! I suppose she didn't let him out of the house much! It was spotless black with alloy wheels the guy added before rolling it off the dealer's showroom floor. Never had a problem with the electrics on the Bonnie in all the years of ownership - hard to believe eh? Handling was everything I could ask for. The only hard parts that would scrape on hard cornering was the foot pegs - ground down to a near-perfect 45* angle! I wish the Kawasaki had handled half as well - I'd have kept it.
  18. vt1099ace

vt1099ace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two really...
    The honda minitrail 50 (gold with the upswepped scrambler type muffle) and even though I'm way to big for it, it was my first though I was seven at the time.
    The other was a honda XL125 I sold when I got my license (folks thought street was to dangerous to use for school commute)...

Utterly no regret for selling the honda shadow ace (1100)..It was ponderous.

No regrets about getting my 4T Stella despite both my previous injuries and some purists ragging on it (haters gotto hate...). Now I'm prepping for camping with it.
  19. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    I regret selling:

1974 Vespa Rally 200. Best scoot ever.
    1959 Vespa GS, not the best scoot but rare and cool.
    1963 Douglas 150 (Vespa VBB made in England).

The only motorcycles I regret selling are the 1980 and 1981 CX500s. Best all around street bikes ever.
  20. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an old Orange Vespa Primavera from the 60s or 70s that I sold to the maintenance manager at Ben and Jerry's. It got flattened by a delivery truck soon after. At the time I lived in an apartment, a third scooter was hard to keep. Or was it fourth? Also, it smelled really bad, like most old Vespa 2 strokes. But it would be nice to have it now. It cost me $100 and was complete and original, I just had to clean out the fuel system and something with the clutch.