Hermiston cdl jobs (4) open 60k per yr.

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by bensgone, Nov 20, 2014.

1. bensgone

bensgone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My company has 4 driver jobs in hermiston that have just been created. Great pay and benifits --- $25 per hour, dedicated set routes, paid training, vacation, set days off, 40 hour gauranty. Yep, if you don't have 40 hours of work that week you still get full 40 pay.
    Why advriders? We are self starting, all weather, start early and stay late kinda people who can find there way around a truck. If you have no cdl or trucking history but want start a new career we can get you started. We have offered pay to the right candidates while in truck school and as much as 6 weeks of paid training with a one on one route trainer after truck school. After that you will have close support 24/7 just a phone call away and other drivers in your area to assist you.
    All uniforms are provided, a $100 boot allowance per year, tools purchased to perform a job function are covered, and the list goes on.
    This is a physical delivery job that is very demanding so you must be in decent shape and prepared to hustle! We do grocery delivery so customer service is also plus. You will need to live within resonable driving distance of hermiston, we work in all weather and conditions.

If you have any questions please pm me with a contact number and a good time to call. I am always happy to answer questions!
    Thanks for looking
  2. Trinity_Session

Trinity_Session Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do the drivers get to use the children's band and trick out their trucks with too many lights???:rofl JK

Sounds like a great job!

3. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    $25 per hour times 2,080 hours worked per year is $52,000. Do ya get an $8K bonus just cuz? :norton
  4. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Not interested myself, but good job putting that out there. Sounds like a decent job for someone. Probably get a good workout in the process.
  5. bensgone

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the supporting comments! Yes the 8k comes as bonus incentives, o.t., a shift differential spiff. When I was made aware of these jobs I wanted to be sure a family member here got first shot at it. The people hired in to the hermiston yard will also have a saved position in portland if things dry up for some reason. To explaine- if work runs out or you choose to move back to the main hub in pdx you will have a job place holder at your level of seniority. That is to say that at the time of the next work bid you will bid from a position off the master list and don't have to go back to the bottom and start all over again. Transfers from one yard to another are common also, so you can take your job with you to the coast, central or s. Oregon.
    If I can help in anyway just let me know. With my referal you will be able to skip the online wait game and have a same day result/call back.
    Safe riding!
    Bensgone
  6. bensgone

Oddometer:
    Positions are still open! Pm me with questions
  7. eric n

eric n Long timer

Oddometer:
    The trucking industry has a insane turnover rate. werner reported one year 185% attrition.

back in 2010 went to truck driving school in Caldwell Id. Two days in one of instructors physically got up to my face because I corrected him that the inter-cooler hose does not have antifreeze in it. and wear gloves any air coming out of it is pressurized and can burn you fast. it's the hot side of the intake.

Then got kicked out of Shneider orientation in Ontario Cal for bringing up whistle blower status due to the instructor telling us its company policy to gray area a HOS rule and that the company will pay the fine. others got pissed so I tried to diffuse it by telling them to use whistle blower status and move on. got yanked from the class room reamed out by a large angry man then sent for blood pressure test and blew it.

Then Stevens transport in Texas. That whole ordeal was right out of a catch 22 novel. Unknown to me there was a huge betting pool that no student could complete the serpentine course. I did it and back again. there was only one driver in the company who could do it repeatedly. he was the course manager. he made me do it again just to prove I didn't cheat it some how. then set me up for failure there after. (being a tow truck driver in my late teens to mid 20's made it easy) I found out about the betting pool when the security footage of the training course was being repeatedly played in the drivers lounge. about 3,000$ changed hands over that. I would not have done that if I had any idea about it. now I am marked with a reputation.

first trainer driver was a total jerk. they put me with him because I matched his record score on the driving tests. he forced me to do things contrary to my training and common sense. the last straw was when I had merging traffic ahead and I was going to shift down to 9th he grabbed the shifter and forced me to stay in 10th "don't slow down it wast fuel and you have right of way" then my brake zone was stolen by a passing car going for the next exit. I put the clutch in and coasted until he took his hand off the shifter. I later looked at his computer logs he was getting 4.5 mpg total idiot. the last straw with him was when he pulled a U turn on a rural hwy at night. I timed it with my stop watch 45 seconds under run vulnerable. next truck stop I loaded out my personal items got on another stevens truck back to the yard. they told me I could be fired for not informing safety of this soon enough.

They thought I was one of the students that was 7k$ dept for the training and that they could treat me like dirt. I paid cash for my schooling. so I could walk off the yard no strings attached. then they seriously changed their tune and put me with another trainer. the second guy was really good to me. he let me test some theory's about mileage got it up to 8.2 from 7 mpg.

the third trainer was another night-mirror would not let me lube the 5th wheel as often as I wanted. it was seizing and I would have to jerk the steering to get it to turn. and he would throw a fit if I got out at the brake checks and took the temps of the hubs before going down steep hills. then we got a re-power that put us 1500 lbs over weight. 100 gallons fuel in the refer and 500 gallons in the truck. time burn off some fuel! then every time it was my turn to stop for fuel I would hit the truck stop scale and add only enough that by the time we got to the next scale we would be only be a few hundred pounds over. and calculated the log books putting the trainer behind the wheel at the state scales. I don't care if it made our already late load later I am not taking the ticket and I'm not going down 4th of july pass at 81,500 lbs. got unloaded and called back to the yard told them I have a "family emergency" and refused to answer any questions and got a ride home from tacoma. I was not going to explain to safety that the front left fuel tank bracket was broken and the trainer didn't give a shit.

my point in all of this is smart people bail from it. There is a hazing that occurs to first year drivers. and many learn really bad habits. the need for good drivers is very high. but few last through the first year. my story is not the only one out there. but most of all it really does take allot of skill to be able to drive a full sized semi. I remember the first time I pulled a 18 second right hand turn. 1st to 6th in under 100ft is more like a race car driving only you have to do it ten hours at a time.
  8. dhally

dhally Hammerhead

Oddometer:
    Are u TwT's fake newb?
  9. Mr Dual Sport

Mr Dual Sport Is no longer on ADV

Oddometer:

WOW!:huh

You wouldn't have made it one day driving flatbed.

I had a great experience driving truck. School at IITR in Clackamas, drove for 10 years for Sherman Bros, Central OR Truck CO, GTI, and local flatbed deliveries. Had a great time working at each place. Flatbed was some of toughest work I've done. Tarping and tying down loads in -30 temps.

Great job offer that I would be all over if it wasn't in Hermiston.
  10. bensgone

Oddometer:
    Almost all of the training is learning the required steps and protocol asked for by each account or customer, the driving is the easy part. I often do Seattle and it is often 320k lbs. Off of a hand truck per month when things are busy. These routes won't be that demanding or that complicated. No hazing, no slacker trainers, no bs, we just don't have time for it even if we wanted to. So far to date there have been few asking about details so that tells me everyone is happy where they are and have what they need which is good!
    Bensgone
  11. linkweewee

linkweewee momento mori

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Sd5ZLJWQmss" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

'Them fake n00bs are clogging up my sinuses.'
  12. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's that everyone is happy, I think it has something to do with Hermiston!:lol3
  13. oldmonkeybut

oldmonkeybut Flatulent Supporter

Oddometer:
    :huh Ten hours turning right while shifting between 1st and 6th. You still had at least 4 gears to go and your going in circles. No wonder your load was late.
  14. bensgone

Oddometer:
    Thanks linkwee- i have to smile when I see those old iron lung 300's with shutters over the radiators and roof top ac units. Those are what I started out in! The first truck I drove was a 64 mack L cab and got an upgrade to a 67 kw narrow nose later that year.
  15. Eastview

Eastview Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't need a job nor do I have my CDL but thank you for the great post. I don't understand what is going on these days when no one wants to work for a living. We see people voting for $15 min wage but when a $25hr. job pops up it gets nothing. Lots of luck and thanks again for the job posting.
  16. eric n

eric n Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes I have grammar problems. but hey its kept the thread going. I'm going around the block again now.

looking back on it i should have walked off the second day of class.

with all the FMSCA changes it's not like it used to be. and the personality traits of many of the drivers I encountered are not at all like the retired old guard of decades past.

The OP is right about ADV riders being a little more resourceful than the rest of the population.
  17. dhally

dhally Hammerhead

Oddometer:
    Hey, it's not so bad! We moved from Portland to Boardman in 1988, because we always wanted to live in Central Oregon. Oops, not exactly what we were thinking... Huge dust storms, hot in summer, lack of amenities, etc. One Sunday I drove 100 miles to find an open hardware store.

BUT that was in the past. Even Boardman is looking up lately. Our company just added over 100 jobs there, and several others have opened in the last few years. Hermiston is a growing town, and Kennewick isn't so far away that many commute over the hill.

Hermiston is hard to beat for outdoor recreation. There is tons of fishing in the Columbia and also several reservoirs and the Umatilla R. You can golf year-around most times. The Blue Mountains are within an hour in 2 directions, with 2 major single track trail areas within about 1.5 hours. Also snowmobiling, hunting and mountain fishing. There are two ski areas not too far away, and Mt. Hood Meadows is about 3 hours through Hood River. Horses are very popular and property is reasonable.

The other nice thing about this area is, it's not too far to explore some Really remote places, like Wallowa County, Eastern Oregon/Anthony Lakes, or central Idaho.

And to top it off, Hermiston won State title in boys football!
  18. Squishy

Squishy Elastically-kinematic.

Oddometer:
    Just a fucker that a lot of us are too:
    Over weight
    Have damaged backs
    Arthritic knees
    And generally can't endure the day in day out physical labor we once could. :cry

Thanks for posting up though.

I think a job posting sticky for local areas would be useful.
  19. bensgone

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for your support. I would also like to see a sticky for job postings, my wife has been looking for five people for Newberg positions, a local machine shop offers internships to kids who interested, and more----
  20. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    I've done the cdl driver thing. It can be a tough gig.

After drivers school, an over the road destiny is almost for sure, as you can't get a local drivers job without experience. Thats the way it seems to be.

I did werner otr training and got punted off the truck in Savanna Georgia.
    What a dick fuck trainer lol. Karma will get him.
    Out of balance cupped steerers hoppity condo FL flatbed truck. lol Learn to sleep in your bunk while rolling.
    Greasy hair no showers cause you gotta make time.

Got a local drivers job (Shaw Industries) and bumped 25 docks a day emptying two 32's daily.
    Kicked ass and beats laying carpet. Got to sleep in my own bed.

To make your money as an hourly driver (not by the mile), you have to put in 60 hrs a week. Your paycheck depends on it.
    Local drivers can run 60 hrs/wk & otr 70 hrs/wk if the laws are still the same.
    You drive. Don't get sleepy, you become a machine.

OTR driving is a snail race. Most trucks are governed for top speed. If your truck is governed at 66 mph, and the truck passing youis governed at 67 mph, it makes for a slow pass lol. A snail race.
    Then that truck that goes 67 and just passed you has less HP, so you pass him back in the hills. Its much more fun to have the power in the hills.
    My Cummings Volvo truck had 1000 ft lbs at 900 rpm. Short shift. Rock on. My Detoit Freightliner I had to rev out (1800 rpm ceiling lol).
    My boss could tell how fast I drove on his computer in the office - the company kept dialing power out. My company wanted me to empty trailers fast - but not too fast!
    Independents running 80mph in the south are crazy fuckers, and usually pigs. Its a gypsy lifestyle. :huh
    Four wheelers (anything not cdl) don't know shit, as they are amateur drivers, not professional drivers. :D YMMV
    Professional driving can be interesting, if you have the right job. What a racket.