Exhausts for the 1100

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Ducs2Dirt, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Ducs2Dirt

Ducs2Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been searching the past few days for can for my 1100. As quiet as it is, its too quiet for my taste. I like to hear that wet sounding bark when you get on it. :evil

Its seems there are more exhausts for the 1150s and 1200's than you can shake a stick at, but the 1100s are fading into oblivion. Its like trying to find a 3 1/2 disk drive nowadays for an old computer.

I found a few out there, but they are no longer stocked, discontinued, not available....etc. I had my eye on that Leo Vince one, because A) its cheap and B) its seems pretty good. Two months ago, I plunked down $1400 for my full Remus on the GSA, so cheap is king here. :lol3

So does anyone know of any other brands, places to order, opinions...etc? I dont like Two Bros, as they are overpriced IMO, but they are the only ones that seem to have system ready to ship. Everyone's out of the Leo Vince systems. Staintune is nice, but I dont feel like become my banks most favorite credit card holder. :deal

:thumb
  2. BleedbeemR

BleedbeemR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try the two brothers cat removal pipe and run a stock 1150 muffler. Pipe runs about $75-90, new stock 1150 exhaust cans pretty common find. Loud enough to hear,deep tone, but the neighbors still get to sleep.
  3. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    +1

As per experience, I would get rid of the cat first and simply retain an OE muffler that fits (like the 1150 muffler as mentioned).
  4. Ducs2Dirt

Oddometer:
    Hmmm.....that sounds like a viable option. I looked last night for a oem 1150 can but no luck. Actually there was one on eBay, but they wanted 160 for it. A little steep for a used can.

Plus the cat delete pipe I came across is just plain stupid expensive. It was a Remus for $418. Unless I'm missing something that's just way too much for a 2 foot long stainless steel pipe with a o2 bung.

I have an email into Leo Vince about their pipe.

If they can ship it, I'll think about that route. Its 350 for the whole setup versus spending 100 for a used 1150 can and ??? on a cat delete pipe.

But that's depending on if it clears the Jesse cases. Anyone know?

If the Leo Vince is a no go either its no longer stocked or won't clear the jesses. I'll think of this route instead. But there has to be a more sanely price cat delete pipe, right?
  5. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your local muffler shop can bend you the pipe, weld in the bung for the 02. The you can fit a stock muffler or some other muffler, like a supertrapp universal fit. You will probably lose some horsepower. But it wil sound like you want.

Rod
  6. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    I never heard of the cat-delete pipe being sold separately by LV. Mine came with the muffler. But it won't hurt to ask LV. They might just sell you one for cheap.
  7. Hawghead

Hawghead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an'02 stock muffler you can have for $50.00+shipping if you decide to go that route. E-mail ptrentham3563@charter.net It has 26000 original miles, excellent shape (came off of '02 1150 GS)
  8. Jazz62

Jazz62 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if the 1100 exhaust system is the same as the 1150 in this regard but on the 1150 the vast majority of the "muffling" is done by the cat, not the can. I just installed a new Hyperpro rear shock on my '00 1150 (fantastic shock btw) which requires removal of the can to gain full access to the lower shock bolt. I remembered reading unrelated numerous posts about people leaving the can off and running their 1150's like that, that it was barely any louder than with the can on. I found this hard to believe but curiosity got the better of me and I started the beast up sans the can. The sound is gorgeous, barely louder as people said, just a little more bassa profundo! I stuck a bolt-on $6 exhaust turn down tip from my neighborhood auto parts store on there which directs the exhaust flow down and away from my Jesse bags. I've been running it like that for a couple hundred miles so far and have experienced zero issues with fueling or performance. It's an easy way to lose about 15 lbs too. Honestly sounds nicer than any of the aftermarket slipons I've heard.

edit - I just re-read your original post. The increase in bass from running with no can may not equate with that wet sounding bark you're seeking. I think the only way you're going to get that effect is by getting rid of the cat as others have suggested.
  9. Trailing Jack

Trailing Jack Dr. Acula

Oddometer:
    Be careful, there.
    I had a local guy make me a "cat eliminator pipe" complete with the o2 bung.
    I removed the cat, and mated it to my existing Staintune can.
    It was made from stainless and it turned a beautiful gold color after a while.
    Seemed like it opened the breathing up a bit on top (higher rpm's) but it suffered greatly on throttle roll off and idling.
    Lots of backfire and reduced fuel milage.

I put the cat back on and sold the pipe to an inmate here.
    Wasn't worth the negatives versus any gain.

Like it or not, BMW engineers these things to work within certain parameters.
    Mine didn't like the modification. :nono
  10. Ducs2Dirt

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Im starting to weigh all the options now and I just might forgo the whole thing. At least for now. I got about $300 of parts to order in the coming week ( starter and rear brake disc and pads....even though they are brand new :bluduh) They fixed the bad rear brake line and put new pads on before I picked the 1100 up, but left the thin and grooved rotor in place.

But yeah ,that was one of my concerns I didn't address yet. The 1100 is not a powerhouse. So losing some of that precious torque and power would really hurt. Compared to say my 11 GSA, which still rides great even with the full Remus system on it. I actually think its getting better and better. Gas milage went down a teenny bit though.

I have a email out to Leo Vince about either the whole system or just the cat delete pipe section, but I have not heard back yet. I also looked up Two Bros and they seem to sell the full system, but not the separate cat delete pipe. And I dont know if that pipe would lock you into thier flange or length, forcing you to buy their can in the end anyways.

Thinking outloud, I have an old Offenbach slip on that i had on my 07 GS and its sitting in the garage now. It probably wont work though.

I dont know why im still toying with this idea. The better answer is leave it stock, the idiot in me wants a pipe, but no companies out there makes it easy. :lol3 For some reason I can never leave anything stock. Especially exhausts. :D

If it was "stock camhead" quiet, id leave it alone. But a Prius is louder than a stock 1100 at times. :lol3
  11. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Fwiw, I picked up a LV pipe AND an 1150 exhaust. Right now I'm running the LV mid-pipe and exhaust. When the packing eventually blows and it gets too loud, I'll have a local shop mate the 1150 exhaust to the LV mid-pipe. Win-win. :wink:
  12. Ducs2Dirt

Oddometer:
    I actually lucked out last night. And then I went searching the flea market. :lol3

But an inmate just put up for sale a full remus system for a damn good price. It's an old system but it looks to be in pretty good condition. If it needs a repack for a few bucks, so be it.

Once he gets back to me on the shipping, it's sold IMO :freaky
  13. Jazz62

Jazz62 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was gonna hip you to that remus for sale then saw you had already pm'ed him. :rofl
  14. Ken Hubbell

Ken Hubbell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Loose the can! My buddy rides his without one so he can run full size boxes on both sides. It sounds about the same as my 2011 GSA. Got a small tailpipe and pointed it out to the left. Works awesome!!
  15. Ducs2Dirt

Oddometer:
    It just might come to that.:lol3

I heard back from Leo Vince and they said that they completely discontinued those systems for the 1100's, but they are gonna reach out to the HQs in italy to see if there are any left or order able...etc.

I have two PM's into the inmate thats selling the used Remus system, but I have not heard back yet. Maybe he's just away or something because it's such a weird holiday week.
  16. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    I'm struck by the fact that some of us are farkling up 12+ year old BMW GSes with fancy, high-dollar exhaust and other such gizmos.

Why not just leave these fine, older machines alone and ride them and maintain them properly. If you want exhaust noise, the BMW boxer is the wrong engine for you.

Remember, "Yer puttin' lipstick on a pig". Let me see....who said that? :scratch

You still have a pig, a mighty good pig, but with lipstick...lipstick that does nothing for the pig other than make it look silly...I would just leave well enough alone....

:pot
  17. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I did it to get rid of the oven under the transmission. I preferred the sound of the stock, but oh well. The 15 pound or so weight savings didn't hurt either.

Besides, why leave them alone? Why not customize them as we see fit? Seems to me that part of the fun of owning a bike. :D
  18. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    You are absolutely right...its a free country (at least for now).