Doin' the Death Vally nOOb Rally

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jrzyguy, Mar 27, 2013.

1. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    I'm spending my first winter in CA, after moving from CO. And I have to say that the temps are amazingly mild...I love it! First winter of my life without snow! So, when I came across the Death Valley Rally announcement, I jumped...late, but I jumped! Since my riding buds are either back east or in CO, this is a perfect opportunity to make some new friends and to have back up while riding off-road. Can't wait!

And although I'm not a nOOb, I remember very well the excitement and fear I experienced when I began trail riding. So I'm fired up at the prospect of being in the company of those who are relatively new to the sport and to share their excitement. It's a blast for me to be with others that share the passion for riding!

I'm bringing my DR...it's been running flawlessly since having a hiccup in Mexico this past winter. And check out its new camo paint scheme...it may be difficult to see in the photo :) We're leaving Yuba City, heading east on 20...a very sweet road to begin a trip on.

[​IMG]

Here is my route...east on 20 and I-80 to Reno and then south on 395.

[​IMG]

Felt like stretching my legs when I reached Nevada City. A pic of each side of the street.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful rolling hills east of Nevada City on 20.

[​IMG]

Approaching Mono Lake from the north.

[​IMG]

And another pic looking south east from the same vantage point.

[​IMG]

Looking west into Yosemite, just south of Lee Vining.

[​IMG]

From the same location, looking to the northwest and into Yosemite.

[​IMG]

Could be an ad for Wolfman. Must say that I like the soft bags!

[​IMG]
  2. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very pretty territory to be riding in especially with the snow background. I suspect your fellow riders will be glad to gain from your different experiences and you gain from their type of local riding. Happy trails.
  3. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    I do love the west...thanks!
  4. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pics!! I was born and raised in Nevada City, and now my wife and I are thinking about moving to.............Colorado. :lol3

Enjoy DV. There's no place else like it. :freaky
  5. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just did 10 days in DV. Posting the ride report after I finish it on the BDS site for Oregon Riders. I think the rally uses PSR. Hope you get to Cerro Gordo for a T-shirt & tour.

[​IMG]
    Robert strikes a pose with a recovered tram car.
  6. Rutsref

Rutsref Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice start, nice pix too! Hope you continue. BTW what Camera are you using?
    Write on, & Ride On!
  7. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the wishes! The west is filled with great options...I'm so glad to be in it! Best of luck with your decision to move!
  8. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    My camera is a Canon T2i with a kit zoom (18-135mm). It really takes a beating traveling on the bike with me...but I love working with it. Thanks!
  9. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    I stayed in Bishop on Wednesday night. Wanted to finish my ride into DV with good light. Unfortunately, the wifi at the Panamint Spring Resort was very weak or nonexistent. So, I'm continuing my rr now that I'm home. Sometimes we just have to roll with it!

I arrived at the PSR around noon. The day was sunny with very comfortable riding temps.

[​IMG]

Set up camp and started looking for a group to go exploring with.

[​IMG]

Lots of riders and drive-ins had already arrived. This Ural side car was a bit of a standout with all the KTM's, Beemers, and other dual sports. Sweet ride!

Joel, the event organizer, was about ready to lead a small group. Perfect opportunity to play in the sand.

[​IMG]

Some people get excited at the sight of a camera! We rode south out to Goler. best known for its challenging step. I came to understand that one of the many attractive features of riding Death Valley is the way conditions change from season to season. Last year, I was told, the step was a serious challenge...especially going up. It wasn't rare to see a gallery of people watching for the common get-off. But this year, it had been graded out with crushed stone, presenting a relatively short, steep slope. Sorry, no pic.

[​IMG]

On our way back we stopped at The Outpost for a break and a cool drink. It's always welcome to come across a place selling refreshments when you're in the middle of nowhere.

[​IMG]

Joel (center), event and ride leader; Larry (right), riding sweep; and Joe, one of a half dozen riders in our group. Since Joel had pressing responsibilities back at camp, he had to leave the group and needed to make a spirited return. Joe and I went along :)
  10. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    That Bike of yours sure draws a crowed. :thumb

It's just too bad that the crowed it draws tends to be the low brow desert types. :evil

[​IMG]

:beer
  11. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Back in camp, Joel made lots of announcements to let us first timers (like me) know what to expect.

Dinner line...I signed up for all 3 nights. We had other options...to eat at the restaurant or prepare our own meals. It was fun to hang out with other riders, tell stories, and get to know one another.

[​IMG]

The food tent, after everyone was satisfied.

[​IMG]

The place where it's all happening!

[​IMG]

Each night they had a campfire goin'...way to go Joel!

[​IMG]

It was convenient to have a restaurant across the street. I had coffee & breakfast there every morning and a cold beverage at the end of each day! Next door, a gas station and small convenience store took care of our other needs.
  12. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised you can even see the bike! Since I don't know everyone's handle, which one of you crazies is Stinez?
  13. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Glad you had a blast. Didn't get to Cerro Gordo...but I'm going back!
  14. Stinez

Oddometer:
    3rd from right. The guy you took the great picture of. (re-posted from the DV ride report in the Day Trippin forum)
    [​IMG]
  15. TSJA

TSJA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jim.....great riding with ya! Here's a good pic.

[​IMG]
  16. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Tim? We had a great day...thank you for inviting me!
  17. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap

The 20 Is a fun road. Looks like a great Adventure
  18. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Yes it is! Dave, you're just up the road from me...I'm in Yuba City until December.
  19. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Thursday night I met these great guys camping a few spots away...and they invited me to ride with them on Friday. They told me what the planned route was, but since this was my first visit to DV, I had no idea where they were headed. Turns out, it was a great ride...took the pavement out to Beatty, where we topped up our tanks; backtracked a short distance and left the pavement heading for Titus Canyon; back on the pavement to Ubehebe Crater; back on the dirt to Teakettle Junction; and on to the Racetrack; back to Teakettle and up and over Hunter Mt.; and pavement back to PSR. Fabulous day!

Sorry for repeating this pic, but this is my Friday group.

[​IMG]

Stinez needed to see what was up on top of that knoll...nice background!

[​IMG]

The pic just can't do justice to this amazing view. The colors and details were breathtaking!

[​IMG]

Titus Canyon...magnificent! And fun to ride too!

[​IMG]

Looking down toward the bottom of Titus Canyon.

[​IMG]

Airing up...back on the pavement.

[​IMG]

A close up look!

[​IMG]

Looking back toward Titus, waiting for the group to collect.

[​IMG]

It's a beautiful thing when great minds agree on where we are and where we're going!

[​IMG]

This is the edge of Ubehebe Crater, looking counter clockwise from the parking area. The tiny people on the walking path give scale to this huge crater.

[​IMG]

The view across the crater.

[​IMG]

Check out the tat of Sisyphus on Stinez's back. Thought a break from all the DV beauty would be OK :)

[​IMG]
  20. Stinez

Oddometer:
    <s>OK...I'm lame so...which one are you? :1drink</s>

Oh Hi Tim... :wave
    It was great riding with you.