GS 911 The good and bad

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Full Power, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    My " SERVICE " indicator has illuminated, only 120 miles after the 4th oil change. I have already attended to the spoke tension, headset bearings, assured myself of the clutch and brake levers, brake pads, and pretty well checked the tension/ torque of every reachable fastener on the F800gs.
    Everything is in perfect condition, except the back TKC80 is about out of central blocks.

What can the GS911 DO ?
    What can the GS 911 NOT do ?
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I own one, and the short answer ...

It seems to be able to do almost everything a "real" dealer can do EXCEPT for reflash/upgrade the system firmware.

Slightly longer answer - It can:

Read and clear stored log entries/error codes
    Reset service reminder light (and set interval before light will come on again)
    Reset internal valve adjustment interval timer
    Reset the various "adaptation" values
    Perform diagnostics on various systems (fire injectors, turn on cooling fan, ....)
    Run the ABS controller to help bleed brakes....

Have I sold you yet?
    If so ... make sure these guys send me my commission check.... :lol3
    https://www.beemershop.com

Seriously, they are the USA retailer and nice folks...
  3. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    :stupid What that highly knowledgeable but chatty guy said.

I use the latest Beta software and I like the fact that you can check for error codes on another bike without having to "register'' that VIN. Maybe a standard feature, IDK. Mine has a 10 bike capacity and is upgradeable to unlimited....with a fee of course. So mine has three bikes registered to it (2 mine) and I could sell it when I'm done with 7 remaining spots. Or you can charge your BMW buddies a case of cheer to offset your cost. :freaky

After all that preachy 911 bs tho, who pays attention to the service light???
  4. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    I find that a piece of black electrical tape strategically placed on parts of the instrument cluster fixes lots of stuff. Works on cars too!!!
  5. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
  6. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    And in addition to that, you can log a stream of data every half second for each sensor (all at the same time) to a PC file. Then when you have a problem you can quickly see what is acting up.

Just the other day a guy had is bike stopping dead and then it would run fine. Turned out to be his HES which could easily be seen from the data log,
  7. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I give up ... what's an HES ? :wink:
  8. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
  9. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Damn............
    Apparently I missed out on the (optional?)

Hitchhiker Ejection System :rofl
  10. HoppingAlong

HoppingAlong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think like many others, I've been toying with the idea of spending the $$ and getting one of these for a while.. But it seems fully PC dependent... Anyone know if there's anything apple/iphone/android type device friendly?

Ditched my last PC laptop years ago, is there a way to make this thing happy with me, or do i just suck it up and add a device to the price of the 911? Or am i missing something clearly infront of me?

Thanks fellas
  11. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/support/faq/does-it-run-on-my-android
    http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/support/faq/does-it-run-on-my-iphone

So the answers to your questions are yes,no,yes :lol3
  12. dvfisher

dvfisher Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. HoppingAlong

HoppingAlong Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't like the service reminder? Just use the 911 to set the date & mileage way the hell out there :D
  15. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can think of more useful information to display in that area used for the "SERVICE" indicator.
    Say, a battery voltage indicator, or even an oxygen sensor Lambda value might be a useful parameter to monitor
  16. BcDano

BcDano One Lucky Dude

Oddometer:
    After riding the US, Mexico and Central America over the past year the one thing we wouldn't leave home without is our GS911. Great unit that not only gets those annoying service lights turned off but like it for us it can also diagnose serious problems.
  17. Kiwi Tinkerer

Kiwi Tinkerer Ross

Oddometer:
    You'll never regret it. I purchased my GS911 when rebuilding a crashed R1200GS. It wa a necesity for that bike. I then kept it for my G650 Xchallenge. Came in handy for periodically resetting the idle actuator.
    Now with my F800GS it is useful for general maintenance and I carry it with me on a long trip.
    It is a good tool for working on the bike and diagnosing issues. It has paid for itself for me.
  18. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just received my GS911, and have successfully downloaded software, and turned OFF my 'SERVICE' annunciator... Quite a bargain for 300 bucks.
  19. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! It's quite an amazing tool.

Learn to Log Realtime Values to a CSV file. It won't make a lot of sense at first but you'll be glad you learned how later.
    RB
  20. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    Bought one this spring. We live 350k away from our dealer. I typically do my oil changes at 5000k (3000 miles) so just resetting service reminders on oil changes will pay for it.

I got the blue tooth version and use an old nokia phone I have here. I was sold on the BT version when we were in the Yukon last year. A fellow rider had his 650GS stall at a ferry. He pushed the bike onto the ferry, he hooked up the GS and looked at the error codes and had a remedy before the 20 minute ferry ride was over.