Solo Month In MX and GT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jrzyguy, Feb 5, 2014.

1. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    My lady friend (Julie) and I have just completed our move to San Diego. We're settled in our new apartment, which makes it a fine time for me to do some exploring. So I'm off to Mexico and Guatemala, and maybe as far south as Nicaragua. I expect to be on the road 4-6 weeks.

This is my ride, a '09 DR650 with a custom Camo paint job by yours truly.
    [​IMG]

I expect to hit the road tomorrow morning (Thursday, Feb. 6th) and enter Mexico the following morning, crossing at Nogales. I'll be posting pics along the way. That's it for now... I've got to finish packing!
  2. MufflerBearings

MufflerBearings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous as hell. Don't be surprised if the Mexican military seizes your camo'd DR for their "official use!" :gun2
  3. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    You never know. I did give serious consideration to my paint job and wondered if it would attract unwanted attention. My intent was just to give the bike a little personality... it was so vanilla before. But I spent a few weeks on the Baja with it and didn't raise an eyebrow. My setup still screams "GRINGO". We'll just hope the folks on the mainland have the same reaction.
  4. m_p_w

m_p_w Unfunempolyed

Oddometer:
    Jim, the bike looks great! :thumb

I'm quite jealous of the upcoming journey but looking forward to catching up in Mexico City. Hopefully my spare room is at least a bit less dodgy than the hotel from your previous stay in el DF (or in Guachochi...).

Can't wait to see where this ride report goes.

Safe travels, amigo!
  5. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Hey Matt, Thanks, I too am looking forward to catching up in Mexico City and hearing about what your relocation has been like. I must admit that I'm a bit frightened about trying to find your place... I remember very well my lame attempt at trying to navigate through DF... as I was wandering through the city, I wondered whether I had experienced a rapid onset of Alzheimer's. But with enough time (days) I'm confident I'll find you.
  6. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Off on another adventure :clap. You'll be thru Baja before we get there. Hope you can make it all the way down and back with no issues :pope.

Dave
  7. Failo

Failo Is it spring yet???

Oddometer:
    Once again, I look forward to living vicariously through your ride reports!

If you cross at Nogales you won't be able to stop and see your good friend Coco for a good deal on some gas:D.

Have a great trip and hope to see you in April.

More later via email.
  8. fortrider

fortrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope you have a safe trip and think of us guys working hard in CO. For your record it was only about -6 here this morning, we should break above 0 later today. Enjoy the ride
  9. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Thank you, me too!
  10. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark, It warms my heart to know that you also feel my pain. So many good thing said about Coco... should we let the world know he ripped me off? No, let's just keep it to ourselves.

For those who don't know Coco, he is an oasis in the desert on the Baja. A cool drink, a beer, some gas... it's all there, miles from any other source. He's the friendliest guy in the world, and he is a capitalist. That said, I am glad he's there, a colorful character for sure.
  11. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Steve, Good to hear from you. After working outside in the mountains for 3 years, I know what you speak about... serious cold! You will be in my thoughts, for sure. Please say hi to Roxanne for me... I miss you guys.
  12. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    I rolled out of San Diego at 8 this morning. I stopped to take this pic before leaving town. The signs that identify neighborhoods in San Diego are a nice feature... I like them! And I especially like walking a few blocks to take advantage of what Little Italy offers.
    [​IMG]

My ride to Nogales was an exercise it getting back in the saddle. The temps were a little cool in the higher elevations, the skies were overcast for the most part, and the traffic was light. This pic, a nice mountain scene in southern AZ, was taken shortly before reaching Nogales.
    [​IMG]

I'll cross the border early in the morning. My friend Dan, suggested taking a loop out west of the city, using a crossing that has little traffic and will bypass the city. Then on to Hermosillo, where I'll purchase a phone and continue south.
  13. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    With the help of my friend Dan, I made a seamless border crossing at Nogales. There were only a few others crossing with me, and the Mexican Customs man was polite and helpful. I just need to remember to check out when I leave to get my vehicle deposit back... but at +$400, I'm sure I won't forget.

With my Visa and Temporary Vehicle Permit in hand, I rolled down to Hermosillo, where I stopped to get a new SIM card for my Mexican phone. Then across the street to purchase a charging cord (misplaced mine) and have some minutes added on my phone at the OXXO, the national chain of convenience stores in Mexico. All went well.

Back on the road again, south on 15. I saw lots of scenes where I should have stopped to take photos, but needed to make time. I promise I'll be better starting tomorrow. I did take a few... here they are.

This is the toll booth for the Cuota, the toll road in Mexico. They typically have less traffic and are more direct, like our Interstates.
    [​IMG]

This was a missed photo opportunity to illustrate a great Mexican driving experience. But I'll explain what we missed. As I was riding south on 15, approaching the town of Vicam, a little short of Ciudad Obregon, two lanes of traffic (on the right) came to a complete halt. It had been stopped for a while, as drivers were out of their vehicles, milling around. Seconds after I came to a stop, a half dozen vehicles immediately in front of me drove through an opening in the median and headed south in an oncoming traffic lane (I was with them). The drivers coming north moved over to clear the center lane for the southbound vehicles. I couldn't believe it! But this is why it's fun to drive in Mexico. The traffic rules and regulations are optional for the most part. Drivers use their own judgement, and it makes sense, almost always. I'm just sorry that by the time I pulled over and got my camera out, the southbound vehicles were out of sight. I'll be faster next time!
    [​IMG]

Just after the amazing traffic/driving lesson, I saw where the Old World meets New on the side of the road.
    [​IMG]

I'm in Cuidad Obregon for the night in a way too expensive hotel, but I drove until sundown and don't want to be on the road after dark. Tomorrow I promise more and better photos. I'm lovin' this!
  14. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    In on your trip,
  15. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Glad to have the company. I smiled at your philosopher's quote.
  16. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Before leaving town I made a withdrawal at the ATM across the street from my hotel. And rolling south to the edge of town I stopped at a great roadside place for breakfast. Run by the two pictured women, it was clean and the food was fresh. This is my first roadside dining this trip and I loved it!

Breakfast on the road... couldn't be better!
    [​IMG]

And my two hostesses. A full breakfast and coffee for $5 US... and I got to dine with locals!
    [​IMG]

About 180 miles north of Mazatlan (didn't get the town's name) I came across an accident shortly after it occurred... complete with Police and a sizeable crowd.
    [​IMG]

The driver did a very poor parking job! He had to have come across the road, through on-coming lanes, to be where the car met the tree. I'm thankful that I don't seem to find myself in the wrong place at the wrong time!
    [​IMG]

About two hours from Mazatlan, I came across this beautiful field of flowers... had to stop for a few pics!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The map from Spot shows my progress for the first 3 days.
    [​IMG]

The 100 miles of 15, coming into Mazatlan, was a fabulous motorcycle ride. It was through hills, up and down, and in and out... with light to no traffic at all... perfect! So, I arrived slightly after dark, but with street lights the ride into town wasn't bad. I'll decide in the morning whether I'll stay in Mazatlan for a day, or continue south... to be continued.
  17. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    I'm tuned in :ear, keep 'er comin.
  18. farrell caesar

farrell caesar Seezer

Oddometer:
    Like your report. One of my bikes is an 05 DR with 3 trips to Mexico. I have stayed next to the Shrimp Bucket a few times. 40 dls. Walk around 3 blks off the sea wall and get a $15 habitation. Headed to San Diego in a few weeks to get dental work in Tijuana and get out of this cold weather. Saludos tiene un viaje bueno.
  19. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Thanks... I'll do my best! I'm about to post the daily events. Please stayed tuned!
  20. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    The DR just seems to work down here... glad yours does too. I'm in San Diego full time now... we should connect when I return. Thanks for the good wishes.