The BMW HP2 Megamoto thread.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Joe Bar, Sep 27, 2008.

1. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can someone point me to a nice thread that describes the filler neck drilling technique with some pictures. My search abilities are horrible!!!!!! Nice pics HP. How do you like the fueling with the full remus. Do you notice any lean spots at upper rpms and issues when shifting to next higher gear at 3/4 throttle. The Wunderlich PC has been working awesome!!!!!! It really is a must for the 275.00 and 20 minutes that it takes to install!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will see a big difference.
  2. HPSaucy

HPSaucy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't take pictures of that process, but it is pretty easy, just takes a lot more disassembly that you might thing to get the neck out of the tank, as the whole toilet bowl float fuel gauge is attached to it, and comes out when you remove it. Drilling the holes and the re-assembly is easy.
    Here is a post showing a pic of it finished - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12400584&postcount=1107
    He says 140-150 miles, but even with the RT final drive I'm only doing 100-105 till the light comes on, then filling up with 10 miles left, so about 140 a tankful. (average on last weekends 800 mile all back road run was 45mpg at a good clip).

The bike seems to run great with the Remus, I wasn't left wanting anywhere in the powerband, it'll pull hard from anywhere above 3,500 in all the gears, but I'm not much of a red line screamer. I very rarely get near the redline, I like to ride the torque curve more than the powerband, if that makes sense.
  3. fixinbones

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll search around GS spot. I know ive seen it posted before. I think ive read about some rubber pieces near the neck that can fall into the tank during disassembly and make youre day miserable. How big were the holes you made and how many. Any other issues on placement of the holes/drilling technique. Funny story, I acutally ran out of gas the other day!!!!!! Most of my riding is within 10 miles of my house so I'm really not too concerned about total range. My light was on and I'd gotten to 0 miles left on the tripmeter and I just went a mile or two too far.
  4. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    That's still right, I can squeeze 140 miles out of a tank, and if I know fuel is going to be an issue (as it often is in France), then riding a little steadier a little earlier can get it to 150. Generally, riding briskly the light comes on around the 100 mile mark, and the display will show 45 miles left. I've taken it down to 2 miles left showing in France.
  5. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. David Shapiro

David Shapiro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's finally here, along with incredible thunderstorms.It is supposed to be a good weekend, though.

David

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Maineroads

Maineroads Ridgerunner

Oddometer:
    Looks like you have temporary ownership Dave!:lol3
  8. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics!!! And Im definitely going to pick up the Isotta/Wunderlich (whatever its called) windscreen. I cant wait to get home and ride the PCH. Ill put up a RR whenever it happens (should be in July).
  9. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks, finally got to see my loved one after 2 1/2 months away and decided to show some love.
    So I made a screen for it. I figured out what they did with the Pikes Peak bikes

[​IMG]

Its a screen from the F650GS, chopped about abit.

I decided to do mine a little differently to start with but might end up with it as above, but decided to try this first.
    Wadyall think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to road test it yet, but for looks I'm pleased with it

David
  10. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude,
    Let me know when you are coming to the Central Coast, It would be cool to do a couple Megamotos on my fav roads...!
  11. HPSaucy

HPSaucy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bingbong, like the screen, but not the attachments, I think that using the Wunderlich stanchions with this screen could be good?

The only downside of the Wunderlich screen is it puts the airflow right in your visor, so you always have to ride visor down. Over the last weekend I was thinking that a slightly lower profile might be nice, and the 650 screen you have there looks like it could be a good solution.
  12. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    Wilco! No definitive dates yet, but Ill keep everyone posted.
  13. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems perfectly adapted, good job if efficient :thumbup
  14. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    How is it attached? If those are just velcro dots, it's gonna come off at about 50mph. Looks great though, very complimentary to the lines on the bike.
  15. fixinbones

Oddometer:
    \
    Looks bolted to fairing with rubber grommets between the windshield and the fairing
  16. mike anderson

mike anderson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any body have any pic's of the mm hp wheels? are they blue like the hp sport wheels?
  17. bingbong

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the positive comments on the screen chaps. I really like it. Speed tested it yesterday :thumb 110mph without a wobble. Sustained 90mph for quite a few miles with not so much as a twitch. Wind deflection is perfect for me. It takes the wind pressure off of my chest area relieving the arm strain but keeps clean airflow to my head, so no extra buffeting. This is the first fitting. I am still contemplating re cutting it to fit inside the white panels ala Pikes peak bikes.

For attachments I used these

[​IMG]

I got these with a Laminar lip the I used on my FJR. They are amazingly strong, I did over 150 with a Lam Lip on that FJR fitted with just 4 of these.

As the screen arrived
    [​IMG]

I had to take down the 4 raised points and one of the points is bigger than the others for some reason. Then used blue tac to test the fit and clearances.

Then cut out the head light shape carefully and slowly. Then clean up and polish the edges.

[​IMG]

Attach the lock pads and press on.
    Viola!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No holes so it can be put back to standard easily

:deal :D
  18. bingbong

Oddometer:
    See above for HP MM wheels or here is a pic with HP sport wheels on MM

[​IMG]

BB
  19. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    I keep riding my MM. To ride and explore twisty Secondary mountain roads is what i like most. You always find different viewpoints.
    [​IMG]

And if the road ends on a fire road , then i follow it............even i do it slowly.........:cry yes, the MM has the HP2 enduro genetics but, with shorter legs and blue swed shoes, what always remains me that those expensive rims need to be protected somehow....:wink:

[​IMG]
  20. fixinbones

Oddometer:
    I dont see the advantage of this screen except that its much cheaper than a wunderlich screen. Is this taller or shorter then the wunderlich screen? I might add that your dremel work is superb and you've saved a shit load of money!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]