2014 Alcan5000 announced

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Pantah, Mar 29, 2012.

1. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    I trucked my bike to Seattle in 2006 & ran fresh TKCs on my 1150GSA. They worked great. Changed them out in Anchorage w/ fresh Tourances for the ride home.

In 2010, I ran a 1200GSA hack that we trucked to the start. I ran a Heidenau K37 tube tire on the front which handled the dirt well and car tires on the pusher & hack.

You'll notice that my 1150 is not listed in the top 10 for 2006. :shog

Truthfully I joked about the folks working like mad to arrange their route sheets and time keeping stuff on my 1st Alcan. After a few days, I figured out what & why they were working so hard each evening when the next day's route was released and started to work on my own sheets. It was a lot of fun, especially when you got a good TSD result.

Yesterday, my daughter said she would really like to do the rally again. :clap I'm stoked!
  2. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any good ways on how to practice riding timed routes?
  3. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:

My plan is to get the club to email me one TSD on a roadbook from an earlier event. I'll then plot a route locally maybe 15 miles long using the same format and data points.

When I get my ICO I'll program the route instructions into it and then go out and ride it with an exact start time and so forth.

If I was doing it manual, I would use a TSD alegebra calculator to solve for time at each route instruction and note it on my roadbook. The calculators are on the web.

The winners in 2006 practiced for months to get it down. I think the manual entry winners did too.

Since I can't really ride much over the winter, I'll wait till Spring.
  4. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Useful info on TSD rally and how it works...or I found it useful :1drink

LINK
  5. Wild Man

Wild Man Escape Artist

Oddometer:
    :deal Just faxed in the paperwork for 2014!

Had to pull out of participating in 2010 due to work but I'm not going to let that happen this time.

Come on ALCAN :ricky
  6. Pantah

Oddometer:
    27 motorcycle entries and 13 cars so far. I think I read somewhere the limit was going to be around 45 entries. Fence sitters should probably fax an entry ASAP. There will be a number of people cancelling out, but who knows?
    http://www.alcan5000.com/2014entry.htm

The $200 deposit is fully refundable up until December 1, 2013. Probably wise to assure yourself of a spot.
  7. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Wow, 11 cycles from Ontario :clap
  8. 4badboyz

4badboyz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    possibly 12 :wink:
  9. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I realize it's still very early, but the motorcycles alone will probably exceed 45 entries...??? :eek1

It would be nice if we could verify what the max entry is going to be...
  10. Pantah

Oddometer:
    The rules say 40 entries is the max. Top section:
    http://www.alcan5000.com/2010Regs.htm

However they always get cancellations just before the deposit refund date and even after, so they accept more.

I spoke with the rallymaster over the weekend and he suggested: "We'll probably accept 50 to guarantee 30+ starters, so no problem if your friend...."

The club wants to have between 30-40 entrys. That is enough to cover expenses, yet small enough to manage. Like I suggested to others, just reach out to Jerry Hines for various questions or clarifications. The refund period is very generous so it seems worth it to send an entry now, even if you are not sure you can get the time off you need when the time comes. If you don't you'll end up on a standby list. I wouldn't want to be buying the extra stuff we need to equip the bike if my entry is a back-up standby deal.
  11. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

:thumb
  12. 4badboyz

Oddometer:
    Just registered, 12 Ontario riders it is.:clap
    Anyone shipping or trailering out from Ontario?
    I have to to the fly'n ride thing :huh so I need to find a way to get my ride to Seattle and back.
  13. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    waffling..........................................................................................:lurk
  14. MaddBrit

MaddBrit meh

Oddometer:
    Mmmmmm... very tempting!

So, I don't have a suitable scoot right now, so whats the optimum size for a guy that just wants to complete it and smile lots along the way? Something like a GS650 or a KLR, right? Is there a prize for the rider with the biggest ear to ear grin? :D

$2,000 sounds like a great deal considering all accommodation is included.

Anyone taking a truck/trailer up from Texas?

:ear
  15. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Do it, make it bakers dozen from Ontario !!
  16. Pantah

Oddometer:
    Nobody from TX has signed up yet. Right now I plan on trailering from Phoenix, but I don't have a truck/trailer lined up yet. If you sign up and have a rig, I could have you pass through PHX and pick me up. I'd split the whole trip from TX with you.

I may just rent something too.

Big singles (DR, KLR, GS, Hus Terra, etc) that can cruise the transits at 70 seem to be the best, but the most popular rides are mud capable twins. I've listed a Yamaha WR250R on my entry, but I have a big single as an option.

17. brocku

brocku Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are a group of us from Ontario and we are toying with all kinds of options of getting there and back. We'll all be in the loop here about shipping etc...
    Seems very weird to be planning and getting excited about something 21 months away. :clap.
  18. 4badboyz

Oddometer:
    true, I usualy just pack a sandwich the night before. The greatest adventures start with piss poor planning :huh
  19. Deco

Deco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm exploring the idea at this point. If I can swing it, I'll be truck/trailer from Austin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  20. Pantah

Oddometer: