The Official SV Thread... SV650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by disconnected, Jun 22, 2008.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    No offense taken. We've all got different ideas and opinions on what we like on our bikes. I like wide and comfortable bars. These bars are about 6.5" wider than stock N bars.

lol
  2. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    How would you say these differ from the stock N bars?
  3. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Looks like I made a tiny mistake there. The black bars are the Ultra Low, the bars on this street triple are the Low bend, which I'm going to go with.

[​IMG]

Here's a discussion of them...

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/120602-renthal-low-bars-fitted.html
  4. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    Have to agree, very sweet!
  6. Jocassee

Jocassee Petrolhead

Oddometer:
    Uh oh...my 2002 just stopped wanting to shift into fourth. Any ideas? Just over 28 k on the odo. It will shift, eventually, if i let it roll some and mash it again. Takes 5 or 6 tries. Or more. Please help cant outrun cops with three gears lol.
  7. Jocassee

Jocassee Petrolhead

Oddometer:
    Should add no droppage or damage that i know of, had bike for 9 months and done 3500 miles
  8. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    First things first, check the simple stuff. Is your oil at the correct level? Is your clutch cable adjusted properly?

If it's just the one gear that you're having trouble with, it's less likely that it's a more global problem, but check these first, if you haven't already.
  9. Jocassee

Jocassee Petrolhead

Oddometer:
    I was able to limp to a friend's house where we adjusted the clutch cable. It's still not fully disengaged (pulling just a hair when I start with the clutch in, in first) but it's not dumping as hard when I let the lever out.

It was low on oil...glad you pointed that out cuz I had no idea it was using oil.
  10. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still no fourth gear?
  11. bart802

bart802 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2003 SV650S in copper for sale in MI. if anyone is interested. 13,420 miles real nice shape. Its listed on cycle trader. $3300.
  12. macrae85

macrae85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the evolution......it's evolving,radiator scoops next! :)
    [​IMG]
  13. macrae85

macrae85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm using 'Star Bars' on mine with braided hoses from Goodrich from a Yamaha Fazer 1000......check out the bike above!
  14. cyclecats

cyclecats Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're here on ADV Rider, and you're reading this thread, you already know that the SV650 is a great, dependable bike and it makes a great sport tourer. Check out my ad in the flea market. I'm selling a low miles first gen SV with both hard and soft luggage. The beauty of the system I have is that all the luggage comes off really easily (but only when you actually take it off) allowing you to lighten the load if you want to zoom through some twisties on the trip! Of course, the bike does that pretty well with the luggage on as well...
  15. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    That's a good chunk of money for an SV
  16. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Mounted up the top case the other day and took a ride to check it out. Had a rubber back rest on it that kept tapping my back. Took it off. Much better.

[​IMG]
  17. BCinMD

BCinMD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, it's that time of year - time for me to scratch the itch and get a new to me bike...something completely different than my previous rides. So I present my latest acquisition:

A minty clean, garage kept, unmolested 2004 SV650 with 2350 miles....seller was asking $3000 but we settled on $2700. The tires are original, so instead of riding it home 30 miles on dried out rubber, I'm having a guy with an enclosed trailer pick it up for me and bring it directly to my local dealer. I'll have them install two new tires, change the oil/filter, and clean and lube the chain. Battery is brand new so that should be fine. Seriously, this bike is truly in 'like new' condition...still has stock exhaust (which I prefer so I can take my time selecting an aftermarket can if I go that route) and only thing the current (and only!) owner did was install frame sliders. I also think she lowered it - she didn't say but it looks lowered and I was able to flat foot it which at 5'8" I'm not sure I should be able to do. I'll have the dealer check on this and restore it to stock height if indeed it was lowered. I'll be ordering some Genmar risers to take a little bit of the forward lean out of the ergos and for now that will be it.

Can't wait to get it registered and on the road!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    ΔΔΔΔ that bike is lowered....

So last week I replaced my original front tire and installed same size front Michelin pilot power and now my speedo is more accurate. I used to have my speedo at 81 mph to actually be going 72 mph but now I'm actually going 78 mph. Has anyone see this because usually you have to change tire sizes.
  19. fishheadAZ

fishheadAZ SV hadder

Oddometer:
    Yea the yellow bike above is lowered...a lot.

As for the tire and speedo, I run a 120/70 and it helps with accuracy. It could be the new tire you got is simply a bit bigger even though its listed as a 60 series like stock. Most all manufacturers vary in the sizes.
  20. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I installed a SpeedoDRD on my bike. I got it from MotoMummy for about $60-70 if I remember correctly. Now my speedo is dead on accurate. After playing around a bit, I found out it was 9.5% off with stock tires. Although rounding to 10% and then figuring out the actual speed is easy enough, I really like to be able to look down and see the actual speed. The SpeedoDRD is definitely worth the money.