WARPED IX – Post Apocalypse! Ride Report

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by backoutonthehighway, Apr 21, 2013.

1. backoutonthehighway

backoutonthehighway ATGMOTT/MOTGATT

Oddometer:
    If last year was known for the rain, snow, and cold, this year will probably me known for the perfect weather :clapand the naked man. :eek1

I'll update this post with photos after I'm home and they get processed. In the mean time all the rest of you FF's have a central place to post the evidence!

Final count was 3.5 kegs (official)! :freaky

We, of course tapped a keg, the Evil Twin from Heretic Brewing, as soon as we arrived on Thursday afternoon. The usual suspects were already in camp and impatient as usual. Proof of the Gerg sighting:

[​IMG]

The 30 inmates present had apparently a long, hot and thirsty ride in. They floated the keg around 10 PM Thursday night.:deal

First thing Saturday morning there was the requisite dirt nap in sight of headquarters - almost didn't get the lens cap off in time. Quickest pickup I've ever seen! :muutt :lol3

[​IMG]

Skater brought this dual bike contraption (a.k.a. "The Deathtrap"). Nothing's going to go wrong here - no sir.

[​IMG]

And then tempted a few inmates by making it look easy!

[​IMG] :evil

Oh, this is not going to turn out well...or did it?

[​IMG]

Battleship suited up and took the Norton out. (When I tried the same thing on Saturday of course, it blew a fuse.) It is a sweet ride though.

[​IMG]

The usual inmates trying to stay out of the sun, :rayof:wings

[​IMG]

and telling more lies...

[​IMG]

"Hey, don't I know you from Mayday Melee?" We were glad that Tiny and Whammo made it down for WARPED IX and hope some of you can join us in a couple of weeks for Mayday Melee. Nice of JStory to bring Cheryl in to help class up the place too. :clap

[​IMG]

Late in the afternoon, we managed to open kegs two (a Green Flash Double Stout - Thanks Conestogaman!!!) and three (Bear Republic's Racer 5 IPA - Thanks Bonerov!!!)

Given that the IPA and about half of the stout were consumed Friday night, it's a wonder that there was more damage to the collective liver than to the camp. :freaky

The weather was totally cooperative this year, and still the camp was slow getting up and out on Saturday, but in good form of course. "Look mom, no hands!"

[​IMG]

YetiGS greets the day...

[​IMG]

And you see the craziest things at WARPED. I no idea that a GoPro could be modified into a Post Apocalypse breathing regulator! That'll come in handy for the Zombie Apocalypse...

[​IMG]

Of course, that would have come in handy for the camps downwind of this little party foul...

[​IMG]

Just love the diversity of bikes at these events!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, we even took a moment to capture the entire crowd before the raffle on Saturday night. Of course, we also had to go to Kern River Brewing Company and talk Kyle into letting us buy a keg of his pale ale to keep the inmates from rioting.

[​IMG]

Sunday morning and it's time to pack it all up and head home. But will it all fit?

[​IMG]

A few bikes were sporting some new covers thanks to Alaskan Leather!

[​IMG]

And some were in a bigger hurry than others. "Lane splitting is easier than this!"

[​IMG]

And the camp starts looking empty...

[​IMG]

Bye Computerless!

We discovered the real reason why the keg of stout wasn't finished...

[​IMG]

Conestogaman and Mastergardner stayed to catch some rays.

[​IMG]

I made the final walk through after everyone left and only found a thong and a freshly-shed rattlesnake skin - so I'm guessing someone got lucky either way. :evil. Although I really would like someone to explain the basketball sized wad of mistletoe under the picnic table in camp 22.

Seriously, we really do appreciate how clean everyone left the camp. I'll post a list of "lost and found" over the weekend - maybe even with photos, but everyone "Did a fine job" on cleaning up after themselves.

And then, Battleship and I made the McNally's run. Add it to your to-do list next year. The steak (20 oz baseball cut filet) was bigger than the baked potato!

[​IMG]

And that's the summary! It was a pleasure and a privlidge. Again I really appreciate all the help from Gerg, YetiGS, Battleship, DSM8, Conestogaman, Bonerov, CAStu, and others who helped promote, drive the organization, and collect swag. And thanks to everyone for coming out and making it what it was. (Especially the Sun, who was noticabliy absent last year.) :deal

See you FF's next year, or at the next rally/ride - whichever comes first!

Two Important things to watch this thread for:

1. Extra Orders on tee-shirts, hoodies, and stickers! There has been a lot of requests for additional gear. When we open that for orders (4/24 or 4/25), we'll make that announcement here and in the main thread.
    2. Lost & Found - we'll make a list available here as well on the lost and found bits.

YOU CAN ORDER GEAR HERE TILL MAY 15th!! Don't delay.
  2. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    Home.
    Weather was probably the best ever for WARPED. And.. the afternoon hillside entertainment provided by the KCSO and naked bleeding guy was worth the price of admission.

Someone lost a green/white rainfly or footprint. The wind blew it into our camp. I rolled it up and stuffed inside Backoutonthehighway's RV when he wasn't looking since no one claimed it.

Youse that didn't come, missed it!
  3. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I can account for 1 of those kegs by myself on fri night, and thanks again for a great job of putting this together
  4. MaddBrit

MaddBrit meh

Oddometer:
    :wave

Lucky dippers!

:lurk
  5. tommo2

tommo2 Michiganee

Oddometer:
    West Michigan motobarn/Condor Machining Goleta
    had a great time at the Falling Waters cg. and a nice ride home too.
  6. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    I was there on Thursday. Drank too much and had to spend about 3 hours drinking water so I could leave... reluctantly...

The proof
    [​IMG]
    thanks Pierce!

So I heard a rumor that Gili didn't show AT ALL... what a pussy.

Gerg
  7. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that was a hell of a lot of fun!

Great weather, great riding, lot's of great beer and great people
    to share it all with.

I'm going to do a google search of the local Kernville news to see what
    the heck happened with the crazy guy...:rofl
  8. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    BINGO!!!!!

Details: Details:On 4-20-2013, the Kern County Sheriff's Search and Rescue was
    notified of a possibly despondant male on a ledge near Powerhouse #3 in Kernville.
    The subject, Ethan Klozer, had been acting bizzare and left his campsite after becoming
    agitated. Klozer removed all his clothing and climbed to Powerhouse #3 where he sat
    on a ledge and refused to come down. Volunteers from the Kern Valley Search and
    Rescue responded to assist deputies. The Search and Rescue members provided safety
    gear and their technical rope skills to help deputies safely reach Klozer. Klozer was
    eventually taken into custody by the deputies and was taken to Mary K. Shell for a
    mental health evaluation.

:freaky:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  9. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    NO Gilla PUNK, the story is he pinched a tube while installing it, OK, next tube please. DAS BOOT!

Most important is a BIG thanks to Bill & Co. this shit is NEVER easy on anybody to organize & deal with a cast of characters.
    Was great meeting new guys as well as seaing the usual suspects. PERFECT weather, bitchen riding as always up there & unbelievable starry nights.

So i missed ya gerg, hopefully next year

RIDE ON!
  10. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    Good find, Scott!

And not a WORD about the efforts intrepid ADV crew that made first contact, nor for the heroism of ADVrider Cheryl Story for all the abuse she took at camp in the aftermath. Hrmmmphh. No respect. No respect at all. But then, it WAS WARPED.
  11. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought that guy was with us... After all that heretic ale you would be naked bleeding and atop a water tower too...
  12. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Awesome weekend with GREAT weather!! Saturday's ride was great with beautiful trail conditions. Too bad the GoPro battery was dead. :bluduh

Pictures shortly....
  13. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    Some boyscout you are, shoulda brought a bag with ya and stayed. :flip
    The revolving door that had people coming & going this year was hard to keep up with, but then all the good beverages being served this year could have had something to do with it. :1drink For me it was the best year ever for beer :freaky Thanks!

Thanks Bill I had a great time. And all my best on your journey with your best friend, it can be a rough road at times.

He's gotten older but still consistent. Guess he didn't really want to take on the task of cat herder next year. Which is just fine by me. I've been contacted by an excellent caterer already, details to follow when appropriate.

It was very good to get to visit with those I did and to those I didn't, next year. :freaky
  14. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    Wish I could have been there. Subscribing to this thread for pics.
  15. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Due to work etc this was probably the shorted WARPed weekend I ever had. Rode out and got there late on Saturday afternoon.

• Took the 138/14 route - wont do that again
    • Had the spaghetti plate at Sheryl's Diner would recommend it
    • Get to camp and find the HDIC is out someplace, apparently broke a motorcycle he borrowed from someone. I am sure stories will follow.
    • After the raffle got to have dinner with Kathy, Mike, Matt and several others. Made for a great end to a long day. Sure is fun to make Kathy blush, apparently it is the mention of a reach around that does it...

Get back to camp and find a snake coiled up in the middle of the floor
    Funny thing was I had made a joke of this earlier in the evening I thought someone over heard it and stuck one in. Nope, it was real....

Rode home Sunday, no pictures or such just some good memories from an all too short weekend.
  16. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast

:nono me thinks it was the "double reach around" that did it. :evil
  17. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    After not missing this for 6 years I was not happy about having to miss this year....

:cry
  18. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    You have a car, I'm just sayin....

sorry you couldn't make it
  19. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea I do and its for driving. It was better for me to languish in bed for a few days. I did get out on the Speed Triple on Sunday for a short ride and it was lovely but I could tell that was about all my body could take
  20. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    heh. when I went to sleep saturday night, camp was pretty quiet, and there was STILL some of that double stout left from Friday night. muahahahaha. other kegs got emptied in due course. there was no shortage of beer.

When we do this again, we really should find someone down there who can cater a proper BBQ, even if it costs more.

anyways, haven't done much other than sleep 12 hours last night, unpack my bike, and unload my camera.

https://pierce.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=29042879&AlbumKey=cLtjwN

I didn't take any pics coming or going, I just rode. had a good ride both ways. dry and warm but not too hot, which is always a win-win.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]