Mini Countryman Clutch Fail

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Terrytori, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    Despite my best efforts, I've mangerd to cook the clutch on my 2012, Mini Countryman All 4, Cooper S.

This puts me in the same good company as the road testers @ Automobile Magazine and dozens, if not hundreds
    of other disgruntled owners.

When I went to the dealer yesterday to explain the issue and book an appointment, the service
    tech, admitted to never having heard of issues concerning clutch issues on this model.

This astounded me has it has been written about in a number of enthusiast magazines and
    on Mini Forums.

I had barely arrived home from the dealership when I receivd a call from the Service manager,
    advising me that they have already placed an order for a new clutch ( $2500.00 ) and will have it
    Installed immediately upon arrival. At this point, they had not even seen my car.

The reviewers at Automobile Magazine , did a follow up story and found the fix to make a huge difference
    in the driving experience.

Apart from this issue and the sometimes harsh ride provided by the run flat tires , I like this car and the practicality it provides.

So much so, that if the clutch issue is indeed fixed, I would consider the newly available John Cooper Works
    Version, as future replacement.
  2. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    It was covered under warranty, right?
  3. clevishook

clevishook stevedore

Oddometer:
    We appreciate your correspondence and we are confident that you will be satisfied with the repair to your Countryman.
    However, despite your positive review of your Countryman and Mini, we are not giving discounts on the John Cooper Works models. Nice try though.

Sincerely,

Mini USA <label for="rb_iconid_26">[​IMG]</label>
  4. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Someone on another list I'm on had a clutch issue on a non-turbo Mini out of warranty. I suggested they not approve anything at the dealer until calling the BMW 800-number and trying to get some goodwill.

Sure enough, BMW said the parts would be free, and the owner only had to pay for labor. On a car out of warranty. No raising of voices required.

And I thought just the Mini automatic was unreliable. :lol3
  5. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    It is.
  6. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    curious, how did this end up? :ear
  7. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the clutch $2500 without installation?
  8. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    I was taken out of town for a few days and returned
    to have the work fully completed.

The tech manager said that they also added a new Fly Wheel and that examination of the OEM part
    suggested a defect at the time of manufacture.

The car is ... for all intents and purposes... a new driving experience.

It performs the way it should have been when it left the factory, originally.

The clutch pedal feel is dramatically lighter with engagement coming on smoothly towards the end of it's travel.

There is no serious slipping required and no feeling that the car will stall.

In short, it drives the way any other Cooper S does, albeit not so quickly due to it's chubbiness.

This was all covered under warranty.
  9. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I had a Mini Countryman and had no clutch issues. I don't know what kind of ham fisted driving style you use, but it sounds like you've abused that car.

Again, I had zero issues with mine. It was my first car and I really liked it.

By the way, mine was a 1963 model. :D
  10. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:
    2500 bucks for a clutch in a car that goes from zero to 60 in over 6 seconds??????
  11. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    My thoughts exactly. I paid $1200 for a Textralia clutch/ flywheel that is rated 1000 HP for the car.
  12. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    IIRC, you've owned a regular Mini too. Now they're offering the Countryman with a JCW package, which would you recommend (regular vs Countryman) :ear
  13. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    I did.

I bought a Mini Cooper S and then retro fitted a JCW kit which, at the time, kicked the car
    from 167 hp to 201 hp.... a truly satisfying gain.

In the latest iteration S, the gain will not be that great but still worth having the additional 20+ ponies,
    working for you.

I got the Countryman as a second, practical family car to pull kid hauling duties when the Sienna was out with my
    honey and the dogs.

We're it not for the need to get kids in and out , I'd be all over a standard JCW package.
  14. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    :thumb good to know, thanks.
  15. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    That's the only production car clutch I've seen that costs more than the piece of shit clutch in my Shelby. That's why God invented the aftermarket.
  17. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:

I am so digging this thing!
  18. Tripl Nikl

Tripl Nikl Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^
    I saw one of those in Wales, truly a neat little car. And small!

As for the clutch... Wow, those BMW guys sure know their customers! No wonder I drive a Subaru. :rofl

FWIW, there's no way in hell I'd spend $2500 for a clutch at the stealership. I'd push it out of the dealer and get an aftermarket one put in. Depending on the cost of that, I'd consider selling it and try to figure out if it was better to sell it needing repair or to fix it, then sell it. $2500 is a crazy price for a clutch!
  19. lilsmokey

lilsmokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Is that the mini-panel van concept :rofl
  20. Nico

Nico ruff

Oddometer:
    You're a fool if you'd cut a check to have an aftermarket clutch installed when the expensive clutch was slated to be replaced under warranty. Or did you miss that part of the conversation?