Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #31
RCmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
If I didn't already have my MP3 500, I'd be all over this one. Just don't need another vehicle with the Piaggio, Triumph Tiger 800xc and Goldwing.
http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/4582993477.html

Hope it's not a scam at $1250! all the rest around here are $6000+
no way real, if so would be gone in 1 day
RCmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #32
RCmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
One of my local dealers still has 2 BRAND NEW 2009 blue Tmax on their showroom floor. Amazing.
maybe cause they want MSRP for 5 years old?
RCmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #33
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmoto View Post
maybe cause they want MSRP for 5 years old?
No but it's not far.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #34
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclhb View Post
I guess that explains why Yamaha stopped selling it. I don't understand why that scooter didn't do better. To me, the Tmax and the Piaggio BV350 are tops on my list.
Yamaha USA didn't get behind it, and the dealerships never embraced it. $8,5000+ for a 500cc anything in this country is gonna be an uphill fight, let alone a scooter. And that was back in '09. I'd have to believe a 530 would list for over $10,000 at US dealerships, so I can understand why dealers would balk.
It's a pity, but there's no real appetite for performance scooters here. We're lucky we got the 500 at all.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #35
tclhb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
Yamaha USA didn't get behind it, and the dealerships never embraced it. $8,5000+ for a 500cc anything in this country is gonna be an uphill fight, let alone a scooter. And that was back in '09. I'd have to believe a 530 would list for over $10,000 at US dealerships, so I can understand why dealers would balk.
It's a pity, but there's no real appetite for performance scooters here. We're lucky we got the 500 at all.
That sounds like a reasonable theory. If it handles as good as I've read it does, and is dependable, I'd consider buying one. Personally, a scooter fits my needs more than a motorcycle does. I don't necessarily expect a scooter to be less expensive than a motorcycle. Maybe if gas prices increase significantly we will have more to chose from in the USA.
tclhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #36
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclhb View Post
That sounds like a reasonable theory. If it handles as good as I've read it does, and is dependable, I'd consider buying one. Personally, a scooter fits my needs more than a motorcycle does. I don't necessarily expect a scooter to be less expensive than a motorcycle. Maybe if gas prices increase significantly we will have more to chose from in the USA.

(NOTE: Please forgive the long reply. My truck has broken down in Houston, and it's just me and my iPhone, waiting for the mechanic.)

The Tmax is all about handling. I haven't seen anyone say, "I wish this Tmax pig handled better." I think you'd probably run out of engine way before you ran out of grip, and the engine's no slouch.
In stock form, the acceleration numbers aren't as impressive as you might expect, but bits from JCosta and Power Commander can have you nipping at the 530's heels if you need more thrust. The stock muffler can be swapped for aftermarket stainless or CF from the usual places to cut some weight.
The aluminum frame is light and rigid, the suspension and brakes are sourced from Yamaha's R bikes. It's almost unforgivable that ABS was deleted from US spec Tmaxes to cut cost. Slick streets will have you cursing that un-named bean counter's ass.
The stock fifteen inch tires are sticky Brisgestone Battlax radials, and right now there's a set of Pirelli Diablos on mine, which I really like. Tires are one area where operating costs are way higher than the typical scooter. They ain't cheap or relatively durable like most scooter tires.
Reliable? Yes, with one glaring exception. The '09s in particular were prone to have a starting issue when warm. If you'd been riding for a while, then stopped for short time, the bike would crank but not start when you were ready to go riding again. But by the time you got it to a shop, it would start just fine. It was an unpredictable, intermittent problem that had new Tmax owners livid. The trouble turned out to be the fuel pump, which could vapor lock when the engine was warm. Once cooled, the pump would work normally. These days, "Tmax fever" is more of a nuisance, and is fixed by swapping the pump. Otherwise, I don't see many reliability issues. The charging system is solid, but the battery itself is housed up front behind the headlights. Access requires pulling the mirrors, a trim panel, the windscreen and an inner panel. "WTF were they thinking???" kind of stupid, IMO.
The stock seat is typically marginal. Shad and Corbin can help. I've ridden 600 mile days on the (heavy, leaky) Corbin my Tmax came with and could have gone more. The stock windscreen gets mixed reviews and is helped with a Laminar Lip type deflector. Yamaha has a really nice looking sport screen that works acceptably, and Givi has two different screens.
If your main concern is economical operation and mpg, you might be happier with something else. If you want something that won't let you down when you "push it" and still delivers the virtues of a scooter, like easy operation, storage space and rational seating position, you'll be very happy with the Tmax.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #37
tclhb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Thanks for the feedback Krusty.
tclhb is offline   Reply With Quote