A couple questions for LEOs

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 390beretta, Dec 15, 2012.

1. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20 years ago but, here are the factors I used:

1. Speed compared to the flow
    2. Attitude.
    3. Working traffic or on a patrol beat.
    4. Working a specific location everyone gets treated the same. No one talks themselves into or out of a cite.
    5. 25 zone in a residential area, everyone better than 37 gets a citation. Minimum of 1.5 times the stopping distance in a bona fide zone where kids, animals and stupid people can ride, run out or just "magically appear" in the middle of a street.
    6. Red light violations
  2. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    pulls out of where ?

you make ASSumptions that what were doing was actually unsafe, that we didn't have visibility and road conditions

you don't know what day of week or time of day or a clue as to traffic

its obvious that the leo knew we were posing no danger to anyone but ourselves, he didn't even bother trying to pull us over, we happened to stop and he saw us as he was heading to his destination.

the point I was trying to make because this is not a unique warning for myself

ya really think if we were acting like squids racing each other wheeling and such we woulda got warnings

I find that LEOs are very lenient to motorcyclists that are simply going fast and not doing anything else wrong, maybe it helps if your older than the leo that stopped you
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thankfully not in yours. :D

I was pulled over in Montana for 120mph and 130mph Both times were to thank me for being "reasonable and prudent" as I had slowed way down when I passed other road users then sped back up once past them. Both times they told me to not speed after dark due to the increased risk of an animal strike.
  4. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    in the uk doing 100mph plus will end up with you getting a ban and in some casees jail for a couple of weeks
  5. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No it really doesn't.
  6. Gonzoso

Gonzoso Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reason # 579 why I'm glad we had an armed rebellion from those fascists. I also enjoy owning guns, hunting, keeping more of my income, carrying a pocket knife, and not being watched by a creepy orwellian security system.
  7. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap

PhilB
  8. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was once stopped for doing 40-45 in a 25mph residential zone. In my defense, the road I was on, Thunderbird in Phx is 45 everywhere but a two block stretch which is designated residential, hence the 25 and I just flat missed the sign; had never been on that stretch before.

The officer was very polite after he got me pulled over. Said he blipped his siren at me when he was a block behind me...I didn't hear it. Then he pulled about a car length behind me and did it again; that I heard! Startled the shit out of me. I was wearing foam ear plugs. I pulled over immediately of course, turned the bike off, raised the front of my modular helmet and when he came up to me and started talking, I motioned that I couldn't hear him and asked if I could get off the bike and he said "Yes of course". I then removed my helmet and removed ear plugs. He explained the speed he'd clocked me at and the fact that I was 15-20 over the posted limit. I explained that I'd missed the sign and was riding (what I thought) was the posted limit. He suggested I not wear ear plugs in town because it's important to hear sirens, etc. I thanked him. He never even asked to see my license. I was geared up, respectful and not riding recklessly, so he let me skate!
  9. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't generally speed much, although I have friends that cruise about 100mph on their boxers when out west going coast/coast. I guess a lot of people do if their vehicle will cruise at 100. I generally cruise about 80 out there, which is 5 over. Back here about 72, which is 7 over. Never a problem...

I've been snagged twice now for standing on the pegs. The first time was in Cave Creek AZ last September, and the second was in some Maine berg last month. Both LEO's let me off, but gave me a good lecture... How the hell is a fellow to stretch and ease some butt burn after a few hours in the saddle?

WTF, I ride dual sport bikes. What's the big deal over standing on the pegs? :huh
  10. Gimpinator

Gimpinator Core Dumper

Oddometer:

This! I've found that the CHP cut me a lot of slack if I show situational awareness. Check your six and be patient / considerate in traffic. I've gotten a few passes I didn't deserve. ATGATT and a 12GS seem to help the cause too.
  11. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pantah, yep, they think you're "stuntin'" But we know you're not. Thing is, most of those "sheriff's deps." in Cave Creek are volunteers. Nuff said!
  12. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Doesn't ask why, only asks how

Oddometer:
    I was riding my '92 EX500, on hwy 75 north out of Tulsa, OK. On my way to work. Just having a good ride, was paying attention to the cars and the road surface, and didn't notice my speed.

Until I got to the exit ramp to get off the highway and go to work. That's when I saw the Tulsa County Mountie in his Tahoe with the blue lights on behind me. I pulled over and stopped (Although there was an escape route, I didn't think about trying it) dismounted and turned off the engine. Mr. County Mountie stepped down from the Tahoe and said "Better take that helmet off, you won't need it in jail!". Got my helmet off, and he asked if my parents knew I was out riding that fast. I told him I don't know, they live in (Small town 40 miles to the northeast). Handed him my license and insurance, and he asked my age, I said I would be 30 in a couple of weeks. He informed me I was riding like a teenager, then asked me what the getup I was wearing was for. I told him the pants and jacket, and gloves, and helmet, are all part of the protective gear that I wear every time I start the engine and mount the saddle. He then asked me if I knew my speed, and I told him I honestly didn't look down at the gauges. He informed me that I was going 94 when he caught up with me, but at one point I was pulling away and his Tahoe wouldn't go any faster. He then told me I had a choice. I could either go to jail, get my bike towed, get a $500 ticket, or he could yell at me and tell me NEVER to be found riding a bike that fast again.

So he cussed me up one side and down the other, and then... Let me go. For 94 in a 65. I still can't believe it two years later.
  13. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some cops do have a soul. Bless them and wish them well.:D
  14. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, I'd like to amend my last post. Some of my very best friends have been LEOs. The vast majority that I've known and liked have been really good guys. (unless you feel the need to fuck with them). If so, YOYO, (you're on your own).
  15. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    I actaully really appreciate this thread, especially hearing what officers think and practice. I live in Alaska and also ride often through the Yukon and usually for us riding is all about staying alive in case we have to stop someplace because it could be a long stretch before somebody's home or a town of some sort. I ride with a rifle and with gear all of the time because we are always looking for food, most guys are cool with bikers unless we're stupid. Which, I confess to practice on occasion. I support what officers are doing and I appreciate their service, so I always treat officers with respect and honor and if I screwed up then I own it. If I didn't I would definitely hear it from my buddies that teach at the Trooper's academy.

I noticed that I do tend to get away with more when I'm riding a bike compated to when i'm driving my wife's truck, though. I think people tend to have more to talk about when your on a bike. But, my mistakes are usually legitimate- I rarely deliberately break the law. The only time I take my bike over a 100mph is when I'm on a sweet stretch of tarmac south of Whitehorse. I don't know there's something about the quality of the tarmac, grit size and elevation etc. But, it'a stretch of the Alcan that is surrounded by nothing, but thousands of miles of mountains and trees. The few times I've done it it was during a safer part of the day, as opposed to evening-more critters, with nobody around and I didn't even have traffic coming from the opposite direction. But for those of you dropping into Skagway, be careful because the speed limit changes on the U.S. side it is 40 miles an hour coming down the pass. People think it is still 50 mph. I've been pulled over for that before and the Skagway cop was cool. You kind of have to be in a small town, if your a real dick you don't last long, in any public service position, at least in Alaska. :D
  16. revrandy

revrandy The Riding Rev.

Oddometer:
    Not an LEO but was riding down the 101 into San Francisco last year and was cruising around 85 in the HOV lane. Look in the rear view mirror and see a CHP gaining on me; figured oh well - deserve this ticket, speed limit is 65. CHP was riding a BMW bike. He pulls up next to me, looks up and down at my Tiger 955i, give me a thumbs up and disappears. I did keep my speed down from that point forward, well until I was in the central valley.
  17. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Automatic "go to jail" in Oregon, and $1100 fine.

One day last July I was doing about a buck'o'five, checked the mirror, and there was a motor cop behind me; then my boss got on the radio and told me wick it up and see if he can keep up.

Any day you get to play instructor at a track day for motor cops is a good day. :deal

The other 364 days a year, I try not to give them a reason to note how fast I'm going. Motor officers are nearly always on traffic duty, and they're expected to write tickets.
  18. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    That's an awesome road - sweeper heaven!

[​IMG]
  19. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OoETMCosULQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>
  20. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Freakin' awesome story. Thanks,