Radio control nuts

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RC Pilot, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Paul_B

Paul_B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome video, and nice flying.

I had a very similar plane, a Sig LT-25 (taildragger) with a brushed Astro 15 with a high ratio gearbox. Flew great on 8 NiCd cells.

2. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Long timer

Oddometer:
    The LT-25 is an awesome plane. I had one that I built as my "re-entry" trainer after getting out of r/c for a long time. When I first built it, I had a Fox .40BB powering it:evil, when it felt like it:lol3. It could do unlimited vertical, which was not so common 10 years ago; unfortunately, it also liked to randomly flame out, making me a master in the fine art of deadstick landings. Finally got sick of it and put a plain old OS .40FP on it, still overpowered, but not the kind of :eek1 power the Fox made (sometimes). I wound up donating the plane to my club for use as an intro trainer, wish I hadn't. I have a nice AXI outrunner and ESC sitting in a box that would be perfect for it.
  3. chipgibbs

chipgibbs ChipG

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This my Blade MCX, 1st gen with a bit a bling. Still flies great
  4. BobRob

BobRob Pick one Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those are a blast.

Wrecked my SYMA S107G pretty bad today, had to order a new main rotor hub from Shanghai.
  5. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Smashed the cessna into the ground today. The balloon tires were good and it still flew with them, but for some reason my radio caused it to lose control and go into a spin that I couldn't recover from and smashed it into the ground from about 100 feet up. Need to figure out the radio thing before I fly again. I can't afford to lose a plane each time I fly. I might just put the money into a decent radio after all.

I think I will buy a kit of some kind and put the electronics into the new one.
  6. I_FLY_LOW

I_FLY_LOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the controls appeared to be working ok after the crash, or total loss of control?
  7. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last week I took the AT-6 out and it had some movement that I didn't tell it to do, but I was able to recover it and land it. On its second take off, it did it again, and I thought maybe I stalled it on takeoff. Today I though maybe if I flew the Cessna which I was comfortable with I could confirm it, and I did. It went out of control, and I couldn't recover it this time. I guess I will be looking for a kit for the electronics, and I am looking into a DX6i TX. Not sure if I will be able to return the TX, but I sure hope so.
  8. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I will take the prop off the AT-6, and try running the engine, and moving the control surfaces to see if I can get some un-commanded movement from it. I need to figure this all out. I like the controller, I just don't like that it's caused a couple crashes.
  9. I_FLY_LOW

I_FLY_LOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YS-63 ought to do it...
    [​IMG]

Going to look into some different exhaust options, to avoid hacking up the cowl too badly.
    It's close to flying.
    Finish mounting the receivers, battery, new receiver switch, (as I discovered this one is faulty) install and plumb the tank.
  10. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do I spy a Lazy Bee in the background of that last picture?:wink:
  11. Paul_B

Paul_B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice build, is that a Sig kit?

It's nice to see someone who works with wood still. I flew R/C on-and-off from about 1980-2007 and I always loved working with balsa, whether it was kits, from plans, or scratch building. I gave it up 4-5 years ago but is seems a lot harder to find balsa kits these days, it's all foam ARF's. The ARF explosion was one of the reasons I left the hobby. All the new guys at the field seemed to be "pilots" more than "modelers". All you needed was a credit card and 30 minutes to be an RC'er, no time investment anymore.
  12. I_FLY_LOW

I_FLY_LOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hate to say it, but it's a recovered/repaired H-9 1/5th scale.
  13. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I want to put time into a model, I build something like this:

[​IMG]

When I want to fly, I buy something like this:

[​IMG]

I could build them, but I probably wouldn't fly them. Some day I will get into it when I get better, but for now ARF and RTF is what I like for flying.
  14. Aghartha

Aghartha Idiot

Oddometer:
    I bought an ECX Smash 1/18 scale monster truck the other day, and it's ok. It's been years since I had an r/c toy, and the last one was gas. This one is apparently the same as the Losi Mini T, though that means nothing to me. Can anyone point me to a good affordable battery and motor upgrade? The truck is fine for playing with but it's too damn slow.
  15. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The foamies made by parkzone are some very nice flying planes, I started with a GWS baby tiger moth, then an Easy Star, then the Parkzone Corsair....bought the corsair when it came off the truck at the hobby store...so I have had it a few years now. I have the large VQ P-39, and the small planes in the series the Spad XIII, Nieuport 11 and DR1, they are all ARF's and very nice. Most complex plane is the Bonanza and it is full house with retracts, flaps and all. Once you get a good stable plane like the parkzone series and master those you can fly just about anything. I know people start off on those planes but it is not something I would suggest.

I just picked up a Sky Raider from Airfield in 800mm...I will let you all know how it goes after the big brown truck brings it if anyone is intrested.
  16. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been eyeballing that sky raider for the longest time! I was pretty happy with my airfield skytrainer up until Saturdays incident that ended it. At first I really didn't like the 800mm series due to the lack of retracts, then I figured they did look pretty cool.

Has anybody seen the Durafly series from hobbyking? They have some really good scale 6 channel warbirds that are 1100mm size. They just released a vampire EDF jet with retracts. They are all around $130 or so. Pretty cool planes. I think I want me one soon!
  17. RC Pilot

RC Pilot I am not anti social. I am selectively social! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The first question is does teh ESC have a lipo cutoff feature? If not, I had good luck with these in the Mini LST 2 that I had.
    http://cheapbatterypacks.com/product/381/969/72-volt-Elite-1500mah-Mini-T-pack.aspx

If lipo is an option - http://cheapbatterypacks.com/Models/Losi/381/Mini-T.aspx or find a battery on Hobbypartz.com or Hobbyking.com that fits your rig.
  18. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Was cleaning out the closet today... Came across this. Been a while since it saw daylight.

[​IMG]

Tamiya Lancia Rally car. Same chassis as the Frog. Right out of the '80s. :lol3

Too bad I didn't keep the original box. There's one still in kit form going for $1100 on ebay.
  19. RC Pilot

RC Pilot I am not anti social. I am selectively social! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!

20. Wannabee

Wannabee Survivor of Reality

Oddometer:
    clean that lancia up and detail it , make her a fair weather runner or a shelf queen.