GS to ST1300… >

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by BalancePoint, Feb 20, 2012.

1. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Regional idiot, formerly just local.

Oddometer:
    I've got the bug for a change, and after four BMW bikes I'm thinking I want a Honda ST1300. And I don't have any real objective reason for that other than wanting it.

I've put almost 18,000 miles on my 09 GS in the past 15 months, and while there's a lot I love about the bike- I find that despite its Swiss Army knife character, like the fabled knife I really don't use all the features. Like most GS riders I spend 99% of my time on pavement, and most of my riding is traveling miles on the interstate and two lanes. I just wonder if a sport tourer is more appropriate for my situation.

I can't explain exactly what the appeal of the ST is over the main competition in its class but chiefly it's the (perceived) build quality, the slightly different mill than the comp's in-line engines, and the reputation for long-term reliability. I've read enough reviews to realize that it doesn't top the class in anything measurable.

For me the Beemer has these advantages:
    • I know how to maintain it. I can do all the routine things, the wheels are easy to remove, etc.
    • The weight is such that I can manhandle it around to park it under the stairs- it lives outside under a cover under an overhang roof.
    • It gets decent-40ish mpg- mileage, and it gets tremendous tire life.
    • Unlike others, I've had very good overall luck with BMW reliability. Aside from a couple fuel strips and a switch, and a hall effect sensor on the R11, and a seep or two at either end of some drive shafts, nothing dramatic.

The Beemer drawbacks:
    • Gets blown around a lot on the interstate.
    • Vibey. Not horrible but despite a lot of time spent adjusting valves and throttles, hey- it's a twin.
    • Not much weather protection. I have a big Cee Bailey screen, and it doesn't buffet too bad at all, but you're all out there in it.
    • 175- 200 mile range, which means I'm stopping for gas at around 160. Like a bit more.
    • The inescapable feeling, after reading the fricking internet for too long, that my number is going to come up with something that will strand me at the worst possible time and place. Irrational but real.

So I stop and look a few weeks ago at a second-hand ST1300, an 07 with about 16,000 miles on it, and despite its sort of generic Sport touring bike looks, it feels right and I like the ergos, at least sitting still. I haven't ridden one. Yeah, I know.

And I think, this thing will go places, and come back, and won't let me down, and I can go 2 or 3 hundred miles further in a day without being exhausted, and it won't be a pig in the twisties even though it's 180 lbs heavier than my GS, and I won't regret doing this- selling my GS and buying a 725 lb touring bike- in no time flat.

I need to be pushed in one direction or another. What kinds of thing am I not considering?
  2. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a new 2004 ST1300 and like a dummy sold it. I rode it 1300 miles in two days with about 200 miles in a blinding rain storm. Its a wonderful bike and jumps to 100 mph with just a twist of the throttle. Great weather protection. I"d do it. I wouldn't want a GS. Valve adjustment at 16000 miles may be expensive and rear tires don't go real far if you ride fast.
  3. PizzaHog

PizzaHog Thought Criminal

Oddometer:
    This is "the" ST Owners site: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/index.php

I enjoyed the heck out of my '06 and I constantly flirt with the idea of getting another. They are surprisingly limber above 5 mph - I commuted/split lanes every day on mine, and never got fatigued from the ride.

PH
  4. St. Arbucks

St. Arbucks Looking for clues... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had an 05 R12GS, put 30K on it, and sold it to buy an 07 ST1300.

No regrets, though I do miss the handling and relative lightness of the GS. I don't miss the reliability issues or the vibes that started right at cruising speed.

The ST is a highly refined mileage disposal unit. It is smooth, well made, and reliable. With some aftermarket improvements, the ergos can be made to be good.

It is also heavy. 700+ pounds. Once you get above 35 lbs, however, the feeling of dancing with a fat girl fades away and it shows itself to be a graceful ballerina.

It is not the canyon carver that the GS was, but it will do alright. I have learned to throw it into curves with confidence.

Fuel range is nice: 270 to 300+ for highway.

Of the major Sport Tourers available right now, it generally gets lowest marks in shoot outs. It is the slowest, and oldest technologically. Still, I find it has plenty of power for how I ride.

I plan to hang on to mine. 32K on the clock right now. Only problem to date has been a faulty rear shock (that I discovered one dark and windy night as I prepared to cross the Tappen Zee Bridge. I turned around instead.)

As an afterthought, most metric manufactures are FINALLY getting on the bandwagon and making their own versions of the R12. (Hey, better late than ever, eh?) Honda has a couple dual sports out, and does Yahmaha and Kawasaki (the new Versys 1000).

Good luck. Feel free to email if you have any specific questions. Glad to help.
  5. Steelybeast

Steelybeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is new to me as to where did they quote they no longer are producing the ST? Not doubting you, just not seen it anywhere.

David
  6. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I owned a 2003 ST1300ABS.............an errant deer ran into me and totaled the bike which led to my purchase of another 2003 ST1300ABS,,,,,,,,,hit a concrete block that fell someone's truck = $4200.00 damage to the bike and my wife's suggestion that I buy a bike that wasn't silver..............so, I bought a like new, used 2004 ST1300 standard and rode it another 33,000 miles = great bikes. If my knees weren't so decrepit, I would still own/ride the ST1300.............it is the best motorcycle I ever owned in my 40+ years of riding with 75+ motorcycles owned. No BS, no lie.

I currently own the Yamaha Super Tenere FYI.
  7. Steelybeast

Steelybeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have had the ST for about 4 years now and for what we want, it's a great bike. The engine is smooth, power is plentiful for us, and we have logged about 40K+ miles on it. I have made some changes to it for our own comfort, and it gives us what we want for touring.

You listed some pro-cons for the BMW. What is some concerns for the ST you are thinking about?
  8. BalancePoint

Oddometer:
    My concerns with respect to the ST after coming off the GS are the following:
    • Weight. Not rolling weight so much as pushing, manhandling, pushing around weight. I've never owned a bike that topped 550 lbs.
    • Service complexity. How big a deal is it to check the valves? I have to think it's absurdly expensive to pay somebody to do it.
    • TIre life. I ride 13-15 thousand miles a year.
  9. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Weight.......about 725 lbs full of gasoline.....it feels a lit lighter when ridden, but is heavy pushing around the garage, etc.

Service..........rarely needs the valves shimmed........adjust the counter-balancers once and forget them.

Tires.........I used a Metzeler Z6 front = 9000 miles and ME880 rear tires for 9000 miles,,,YMMV
  10. rider33

rider33 Traveler

Oddometer:
    I bought a '10 ST ABS for long distance touring as I just couldn't deal with the excess on what passes for touring bikes these days. That it excels at that was not surprising & generally I would agree that it's a bit more on the touring side vs most of the current sport touring offerings- just what I was looking for. What I did find surprising tho is how much I enjoy it for shorter hops. In the city I typically use a Vespa or a dual-sport to commute. A few trips with the adjustable screen, acres of locked, water-tight storage and excellent weather protection made me a believer. It's not a GS, nothing like a GS actually but if you are looking for a big, comfortable bike that is just as happy to go cross-country as cross-county with a minimum of maintenance requirements, I'd take one for a spin. Leftovers and clean used models are also a very good value at the moment.
  11. rockmurf

rockmurf IBA #31100

Oddometer:
    I had an 03 ST and put 30k on in 18 months and it suffered from heat issues. In 06 I got a new Yamaha FJR1300A and 106k miles later it is a super bike. I would definitely give one a test ride because build quality and reliability take a back seat to no one. 26k valve checks and to date mine still have not needed adjustment. No removing the fairing for oil changes either. It is worth a look.
  12. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    In have an 06 ST, I bought it second hand. It's an awesome bike for distance, especially 2-up, with luggage, at high speed. I've got 7K on the rear Road 2, it's just starting to square off a a little. I know I won't get another 7000, but I bet I get another 2-3000. Oil changes are pretty quick. The only thing that took me extra time was replacing and bleeding the brake fluid in the linked system. It is heavy to push around in the shop, but I just straddle it and move it around, so it doesn't get away from me.
  13. ST-DocLizard1

ST-DocLizard1 Serial Monogamist

Oddometer:
    Who needs to take the body work off to change the oil on an ST1300? My '04 ST 1300 ABS has been great and will be my last touring rig. The only problems were the rear drive flange bearing and thermostat change which are well documented on ST-Owners with respect to diagnosis and remedy. What sold me Honda reliability, dealer network, and crash worthiness from a stationary drop. All valves in spec at 32K, a ton of aftermarket accessories, and great support from other owners.

Doc
  14. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I had an '07 ST1300 that I bought second hand. It was the 18th bike I have owned in the last 40 years, and BY FAR the best. I would own another one in a heart beat. The only reason I don't still have it is because I totaled it. Build quality was fantastic, you really don't realize how good it is until you live with it for a while. Yeah it is heavy to push around, but to me it felt more like an NFL linebacker than a "fat girl". Mine had a Corbin saddle and Two Brothers slip ons. It was fabulously comfortable and it sounded fantastic! It was nothing to hop on it and not put a foot on the ground again for a couple of hundred miles. Oh, and I don't think it ever got less than 42 mpg. It made a Honda fan out of me.

I have owned a BMW R1100R as well. In my opinion the Honda is a much better bike.
  15. brewer90

brewer90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not a R1200RT? It's 570 lb wet and the running gear is the same as your GS. But you would still have that little gremlin in the back of your head talking to you.
  16. BuddingGeezer

BuddingGeezer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride the ST1300's daddy, 1st year ('91 USA) ST1100. See no reason to upgrade to a ST1300, but where I to do so, the deciding factor for a ST1300 vrs it's competition, is the tip-over wings. A ST1100 and ST1300 can be dropped with no damage other than a scuffed tip-over wing cover. The ST1300 even has an aftermarket pannier tip-over protector that isn't really noticeable.

I know a guy with a '05 ST1300 with 269,000 miles on the clock (last spring) that looks show room new. Unless one KEEPS a ST at redline the valves rarely need adjusting.

IMO, the lack of dropped bike damage is an appeal for the adventure tourer.

Good luck on your decision.
  17. FXRBILL

FXRBILL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have 50k on mine.Nobody has mentioned the three year unlimited mileage warranty.Or that you can get four more years for a little over $400.My fork seal blew at 32k and was covered.Also had a stuck open t-stat also covered.
    I have an Aprilia Falco also and the ST gets ridden in the same manor.It gets a lot of looks from the sport bike riders at the end of the twisties.It doesn't like dirty air so just loosen your grip and ride on.
  18. BalancePoint

Oddometer:
    I've given consideration to the RT from time to time, but your observation is correct. It is a pretty damn nice bike, though. The fact is, if I'm sticking with BMW, I'd be hard pressed to change from the ride I have.

Plainly, I'm still wavering. But I'm learning a lot from these posts, and it's not chasing me away from the ST, although I doubted it would.
  19. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    One of your concerns is weight, but you're considering one of the heaviest sport-tourers on the market? You haven't mentioned riding two-up, so I'm a little perplexed as to why you're considering such a land barge.

If you're just after a smooth street ride with some better weather protection, there are many other options out there. There isn't anything wrong with an ST13, but then, there aren't too many bikes made right now with real mechanical shortcomings.

Perhaps a Moto Guzzi Norge is in order. :evil
  20. Fundamental

Fundamental Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, even the FJR and Concourse are a little lighter (although hardly lightweight), and probably both more fun to ride in the end