XT1200Z: The new WaspWorks Super Tenere, in detail and the evolution

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Wasp, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Mine are the same (and I have seen similar comment before).
    Apparently for removal of R/H/S faring.

I dont have a problem with it...

[​IMG]

Greg.
  2. OutBack

OutBack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might want to change the pannier frames too?

Im sure one will be closer to the bike and the other further away to compensate for the exhaust??:huh
  3. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Yeh. I'm actually looking at doing that once the new zorst is mounted.

Greg.
  4. R3B

R3B Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    And how about stacking the Pegs,any sketches yet?
  5. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    I never really do much in the way of sketching..

I generally just model the mating or surrounding part then add or design the intended component or assembly.. The beauty of 3D Parametric design software,,, You fix the parameters and just fill in the dotted lines:wink:.

I wont design the pillion peg carriers until the muffler is installed (was supposed to get the lasercut components for this weekend but that didnt work out.

Below is a screen clip of the centre stand extension that shows what I mean by starting with associated mating parts.
    Model the existing critical components, then add the extension driven by the desired extension height and any other parameters.

[​IMG]

Greg.
  6. stevepsd

stevepsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greg,

Noticed on one of your pics that you have Trax bags mounted on your S-10. What size Trax bags do you have and how wide is it across the bags. Any wider than with the OEM bags? Any pics from the rear?

Keep up the great work.

Thanks!

-steve
  7. R3B

R3B Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer:

Nice!

i'm real old schoolmoddeler i use copper piping and pizzaboxes to mock up fitting and measurement, or soft plastic of gardenpots for windscreen mockups :-)

I'm very anxcoius about yor Zorst solution, because i really hate that bulge of the pillionrest, and would like to have normal footrest more inward like on the right to put the Touring cases of my beemer on the S10, way more aerodynamic and practical Right is a piece of cake but the left side needs to be placed ridicously high to fit over the Bulgepipe :-)
  8. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    I purchased a GPSMAP 60CSx on run-out special about 8 weeks ago and picked up a Touratech lockable vibration damped cradle soon after.
    It's taken this long to find the time to laser-cut a Stainless Steel mount for the TT cradle but I finally modeled it over the weekend and got it cut and pressed today.
    A quick lick on the sander and it turned out perfect.
    Normally I would have made it to sit just slightly further to the left but the SW-Motech Endurance bars are a bit bulkier than the norm compared to the standard bars.
    I'll see how this is on the road with angles and height etc, and I may end up cutting another style later.

Greg.

P.S - Bit of a PITA as you have to install the Garmin cable to the cradle before routing it through the bike to the power source. I already had the cable routed and hooked up so it meant undoing it all to redo it.:cry

Ohh, P.S2 - I also cut a new S/S mount for the heated grip controller to get it off the bars.
    I will post that up through the next couple of days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Stressfest

Stressfest ekki-ekki-pitang

Oddometer:
    Nice job Greg. Enjoy the Garmin, had the same one for the last 12 months or so... pretty much bullet proof.
  10. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Hi folks.

I have recently been asked about the progress on my new muffler project and also about the availability of the suspension links, and, as I have just got a batch of laser cut products back, I thought I should report were I am at.

I have been flat out with deadlines on my day job (+ entertaining O/S relies) so progress has been slow on the muffler.

I finally got around to measuring for the muffler brackets on the weekend so I got the models straight off to laser and press and picked them up yesterday, along with some other bits and pieces.
    It's school holidays here at the moment so movies with the grand kids this afternoon was quickly followed by a visit to a mates place (legendary TIG welder - Thanks Steve) to weld the muffler mount in position.

Over the past couple of weeks I have managed to collect all of the pipe bends and associated components to manufacture the tail pipe (cat to muffler) and I decided to step up the diameter of this pipe section from the OEM 45mm diameter to 51mm diameter.
    This will help drop the DB's and the tone, and if the O2 sensors will handle the change and adjust, should produce a slight kick mid range and up providing the lesser back pressure does not scavenge.

You may notice that I had to rotate the pipe slightly so that the bend outlet faced away from the bike. It's a tight squeeze getting the pipe parallel with the frame and the gasses to escape with out turning the indicator into a molten lump of plastic:cry

I also fitted a new tyre.
    I really wanted Mefo's or Hiedenau's but we all know the problem there.
    I reluctantly decided I might as well stick with the Karoo(T) as the front still had the life of another rear in it, and the Heidies should be available at the end of this current sets life span.

Someone asked the question about the availability of the suspension links?
    During one of my visits with Mike from MotorradGarage I told him of my intention to cut a set of links for my bike. Mike commented that he would be interested in looking into marketing them so I cut a batch of links as well as a batch of centre stand extensions for the S10, and at Mikes request I also cut some S10 and 660 Tenere lowering links.
    The raising links lift the S10 by 25mm and the lowering links drop it by 25mm.
    Only the S10 raising kit will be supplied with the centre stand extensions. The 660 Tenere links lower the bike by 30mm as apparently there is a large demand for lowering that bike.
    Anyway, Mike will have these links in stock soon and can advise price as soon as he gets back from Intermot.. (Lucky bastard).
    I have no idea what he will be charging but I know they wont be too expensive or I wont make them for him. :lol3

I will report as soon as work has progressed further on the muffler and will also post some pics once I have welded the centre stand extensions in place.

Greg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S - Please excuse the messy workshop :puke1... as I said, time is at a premium at the moment.
  11. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Yeh, I forgot to mention that I tested the other night...

The right hand faring DOES come of with the SW-Motech bars still fitted..

Only JUST, but it does come off.:D
    That's why the right sticks out a little further than the left.

Greg.

[​IMG]
  12. zeth609

zeth609 All year rider

Oddometer:
    Hey, Wasp, did you check out the Yamaha Super Tenere Worldcrosser at Intermot?

Full gallery here http://www.misviajesensupertenere.com/blog/archives/606

[​IMG]

has some nice little features you could work on, like the tank in the pillon seat, or carbon fiber covers.

Awesome, just a concept though.
  13. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Yeh, I spotted that in the general thread.
    Like you say, some very interesting ideas and very well implemented.
    I particularly like the mesh in the R/H faring.:evil
    The more you look the more you see... I would love to get hold of some hi-rez pics.

Greg.
  14. zeth609

zeth609 All year rider

Oddometer:
    Ask and thou shall receive. Give me an email, and I'll send them through yousendit.
  15. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    greg@waspworks.com

Thanks zeth.

Greg.
  16. Steve in ATL

Steve in ATL How ya like me now?

Oddometer:

Hmmm. Me too? stephen v hill at gmail dot com

And what's the big boxy thingie on the fork?
  17. Buckeye56

Buckeye56 Batoutahelius

Oddometer:
    wcthalgott at me dot com

Thanks Zeth!
  18. R3B

R3B Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer:

That was me :-)

So he will be at the Intermot, any idea when and where, because i will go ther thursday or friday, and that could mean a nice "I love it when a plan comes together" moment.

P.S. a clean workshop shows (inho) wrong priorities, a workshop should be messy, once a weak cleaning is way to mucht.

I like to see the thinking around the proces, like the chipwood under teh centerstand to measure the exact extension with new links and fresh knobbies. (i locked myself into deadlock with balancing the bike doing both wheels/tires, and could not get the wheel back in with new rubber :-)
  19. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are they the hi-res ones?

didn't seem to be very big for me - maybe i can't see hi-res ones here AT WORK?

S
  20. tdm900r

tdm900r GREECE

Oddometer: