Decisions ,Decisions - iphone 4 or 4S

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TomInVt, Mar 4, 2012.

1. TomInVt

TomInVt Big Daddy

Oddometer:
    I 'm up for a new phone and have been thinking about getting a iphone .
    I really don't know much about them should I go for the old 4@ $99.- Or new 4S @ $199.
    Thanks for your help,
    Tom
  2. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or wait until June for the next iPhone.

I have the 4 and my brother just got the 4S. I updated my OS to the latest version and other than some speed difference and Siri, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two (I don't use the camera that much so that isn't that important to me).

I am eligible for an upgrade also but I think I will hold off to see what they bring out next.

Apple seems to release an intermediate upgrade before a major one, from 3G to 3GS then to 4 (major change), from 4 to 4S. We must be due for the next big upgrade in a few months.

B.M.
  3. awonderfulworld

awonderfulworld Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Spend the $100. The better camera alone is worth it
  4. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I have just the model iphone 4 and it works just dandy. :1drink

Can't see needing more, or having to learn more- this one just fine for me. I could not justify the extra clams for talking applications n shitte.

Others can and do have other opinions and budgets I expect.
  5. EdOriginal

EdOriginal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As said above, camera is worth the difference. Learning curve is the same since app's are basically the same on 4 and 4S. Speed along is worth having the 4S for me. Life of most phones is 2-3 yrs so waiting relates to my signature line.

4S is a no brainer.
  6. TomInVt

TomInVt Big Daddy

Oddometer:
    This is why I am asking for help !
    These questions have been rolling around in my little brain
    Do I
    1,wait a few months for the new iphone 5....good plan,ya know one will be here soon !
    2, go for the 4 ,cause it probably is all I really need
    3,get the latest incarnation 4S for the extra 100 bucks ....just because it just another $100

I'm not real good at waiting for things after I get my mind set on something so I thinking it is probably either the 4 or 4S
    One more option is I could buy the 4S and sell it when the new model comes out .
  7. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd get the 4S, that's what I have. My wife has the 4, they work the same but the better camera and processor are worth it in my opinion.
  8. TomInVt

TomInVt Big Daddy

Oddometer:
    Thank you to all for the help , the 4S is the winner
  9. go gonzo

go gonzo The Mustard of Pants

Oddometer:
    Don't try to save $100 by buying a one and a half year old phone. The service is gonna cost you $2400 for the two 2 years you are locked into it.

Besides, as new iOS versions are released the older phones work worse and worse. Apps load slow, freeze, or just plain don't work at all.

Find someone with a 3G or 3GS still. Ask if they are happy.
  10. TomInVt

TomInVt Big Daddy

Oddometer:
    10 - 4 go gonzo,I'm going with the 4S. I agree it's worth the extra $100. for the newer technology
  11. yatman

yatman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome-Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    I have the 4s and just tuck it into the map window of my tank bag...and it gets
    power from the bike as the apps suck power...being able to get Siri to play tunes,
    text, read texts, make phone calls via the Scala Rider G4 is cool...when the
    "direct implants" are available and we get HUD info on our eyeballs and night vision,
    telescoping 'Steve Austin' vision, (eye tracking chain gun & missiles would be cool
    too)....but I'm getting ahead of your original question...
    Enjoy
    yatman
  12. rxcoop

rxcoop persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer:
  13. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    One more data point on that extra $100...

If you didn't know, you can sell a 2 year old iPhone on eBay for almost $200 - depending on the model.

My wide and I each had a 3gs, and switched to Verizon when the 4s came out. I was watching eBay to see what the 3gs was selling for. A month before the 4s came out, they were going for $225 to $250 (because they were one generation old). The day the 4s was released, the price dropped $50 - because they were two generations old.

I got $175 for mine, and she got $90 - with a cracked screen and wonky home button.

So buy the better one, and when (assuming you do) sell it in two years, you'll get part of that $100 back.
  14. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably going to be 6 months before the 5 is released. If you can't hold out that long, I would say go for the 4S. I've had my 4 since they were released, and just got a 4S for work. The Siri easily makes it worth the little extra. I felt like it was a little gimmick at first, like an expanded voice control that is on the regular 4, but after using it as an alternative means of text input, as well as all the voice control options, I find it to be well worth the little extra. If you only keep the phone a year, the price difference is only a little over $8/month.
  15. get the 4 s
  16. ELM0T0L0C0

ELM0T0L0C0 Less Talk More Throttle

Oddometer:
    I agree with above if your going to go apple 4S. As far as Iphone 5 Apple will most likely not release it until OCT. this year as they have moved there iPhone releases to better take advantage of Holiday buying, and to line up with there other software and hardware road maps.
  17. TomInVt

TomInVt Big Daddy

Oddometer:
    Well I put my money down on the new 4s today.
    A beautiful phone...very impressive ,just registering it now .
    Looks like fun!
    Thanks for all the help
  18. PARIAH

PARIAH Been here awhile

Oddometer: