Italy at Xmas time

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by dyolfknip, Oct 17, 2014.

1. dyolfknip

dyolfknip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, thinking about throwing the bike on a trailer, driving from here (Cologne, Germany area) and driving to a friends place in Naples...storing the trailer/car there and doing "the boot" from Naples south. Definitely want to hit Amalfi and Solerno, but unsure of what to do from there.....I imagine a week there will be good.

Difficulty, and the reason I am doing some of trip trailering is because this would be starting around 20 Dec.
    Not too worries about weather, have the gear for that.....just want to see some cool things and if possible find a neat spot to have some sort of Xmas dinner or something.

Any ideas?
  2. ttr

ttr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    A very interesting possibility is to take a ferry from Naples to Sicily , there are both direct services to Catania and Palermo (TTTlines.it , snav.it ) and also a small ferry (siremar.it) that does all the small Eolian islands that are really nice.
    Following the weather, you could ride down or up, saving time for all it's worth to see .

For example , the Calabria coast, the Pollino and Sila mountains, in Sicily the Etna, Catania and other cities...
  4. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    You could find it a challenge to eat after lunch on Christmas Eve - probably easier, and I stress "probably", on Christmas Day.
  5. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    This.

Wife and I spent about 10 days on Sicily over Christmas and New Years, starting from Siracusa to Palermo via the interior and then doubling back to Mount Etna along the coast. The inland roads were good, little traffic, and the scenery was gorgeous. If you have any interest in history, you'll be overwhelmed. The food? Divine.

My only negative was driving in Palermo, where the rules are 'suggested'. :D
  6. dyolfknip

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for the information....I will take a look at your site for sure....

For the rest with tips, also thank you......we will see how the planning goes and go from there.
  7. dyolfknip

Oddometer:
    My job has me in Naples quite often and the first few times I hated it there....but now that I am used to the driving and have come to love the food, I really do like it there for sure....

What was the weather like while you were there?
  8. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool and windy in Siracusa, inland was cool, but the north coast was very pleasant around 16C and mostly sunny.

In spite of my then recent C3 vertebra surgery and SO's broken wrist and both ankles sprained, we went ahead with our trip because Italy is our second most favorite country...:D