1. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    So, my 7 yr old has really taken to dirt bikes the last few months. He is not new to motors, he has been riding ATVs and a snowmobile since he was about 3, but didn't care too much about dirt bikes, only tried a little. This spring it has really taken off though. He has spent a lot of time on our friends 50s, an xr and Yamaha. He has also rode a klx 110, which he rides fine, but is a bit tall for him and is outriding the suspension for sure. I like how easy the little motor and 3spd are, easy for hitting trails, climbs, etc. I have heard the bikes like the KTM50sr run hot and aren't good for lugging slow on trails? Any truth to this?

Basically, what do you recommend, or have past experience with? Currently I am thinking crf70, but the suspension still looks pretty basic, or maybe lowering a KLX110 a bit, or just getting the KTM and seeing what happens?

Here are a few pics of Dylan from our recent trip to Moab..

We did a lot of practice loops!
    [​IMG]

Taco'ed forks on the Slickrock main loop. They held so we could ride it out, new front end swapped on by morning!

[​IMG]

Fins N Things
    [​IMG]

Air time!
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any input. I am just a very happy daddy and want to find him something for the next year or so that he can grow with, but not be so big it is holding him back...
  2. Raul Duke

Raul Duke DROC

Oddometer:
    I would go straight out of the gates with the KTM 950 or BMW GS - sink or swim. :lol3
  3. HanzoSteel

HanzoSteel n00bish

Oddometer:
    Great pics, I'm thinking of picking up a little 50cc for my gf's grandson and getting him started early.
  4. S-TrackJunkie

S-TrackJunkie Knee Down!

Oddometer:
    IIRC, the 50 and the 70 have different suspension, namely the forks. I believe the wheels are larger as well. We had a 2003 XR70 for our daughter years ago, and it had conventional forks not USD, no clutch, just like the 50, and plenty of motor to haul my fat arse around....kids are rough on bikes, and Hondas are known for their durability. It's a very hard choice though, because you don't want him out growing the bike in short order, and you don't want them intimidated by it either....thin line! HTH!
  5. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Raul, can he test ride yours first? :lol3
  6. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    That is my quandary. At least the kids stuff is cheap, buy it used and it is still worth about the same a year later..My initial glance at 70 looked the same on forks, but I will need to research deeper, or maybe a TTR90 and he gets the push button, although he has no issue kicking whatsoever..
  7. Raul Duke

Raul Duke DROC

Oddometer:
    Only if he can fix the rear flat first - by himself. You gotta teach these kids how to earn it.
  8. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    I got back rubs out of swapping the front end that he totaled. I think I came out pretty good on that one!
  9. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in Colorado. Cedaredge or delta or.....
    an Oset trials bike..light weight teaches balance. Get him into trials. then branch out from there!:D quiet enough for the yard. spare battery or 2

:D
  10. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    jjustj, he has rode the Osets. My problem is we like to cover some ground and I am worried about the battery life for the long run. His balance is great. We rode the Slickrock main loop clockwise, and he made it almost halfway before he bent the forks, so we rode slowly back how we came. There was only one switchback section he walked as you head to the main loop, he cleared everything else, and rode that switchback on the way up. I am not worried about building his skills at this point, just something that will keep up with him.
  11. Gitana

Gitana A work in progress

Oddometer:
    I have nothing to offer, other than those pics are just so darned cute. :lol3
  12. MaParkerColo

MaParkerColo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have both the XR50 and the XR 70 in my garage right now (along with an XR100!) There is a significant difference between the two. The 50 has 10" wheels and the 70 has 14" front, 12" rear. (I think those sizes are correct) My 6 year old can more than flat foot the 50 and can't even ride the 70 yet as he can't get both feet down, only one at a time. It is a big step up size wise.

Power-wise I can't comment realistically b/c the 70 has an 88cc kit and much larger carb on it. Seat of the pants it feels like it produces power very comparable to the even larger XR100R we have. That is to say at 6'4" 200lbs the 70/88 will haul me around fine. The 50? Well think monkey and underinflated New England Patriots football!

As has been mentioned, Honda = anvil, simple and unbreakable. You could buy a stable of them for what you would pay for the KTM and re-sell them in a year for what you paid if you shop wisely. (I've owned more Yamahas than anything, but really have no color bias and no dog in that hunt).

In my opinion the 70 would be a great step up if he isn't ready for a clutch. If you think he can handle a clutch then consider the XR80. With the 70 you can install the big bore kits cheaply to up the power if needed. If he out grows them you simply re-sell for about what you paid.

Too bad you aren't on the front range or I could let you have him sit on ours to test fit.

Good luck with the decision!

[​IMG]
  13. Rodzilla

Rodzilla Little short for a Stormtrooper

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity, what is he doing to bend forks on Slickrock?

If a KLX 110 is too big, the PW 80 is exactly the same size for reference.
  14. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    He misjudged a "pothole" and stuffed it. Full on endo with bike on top of him. Amazed it held up for the ride back. Even better was locating a parts bike on the western slope that a friend relayed in that night as they were driving to camp with us!
  15. wakewop

wakewop Hucker

Oddometer:
    The Ktm 50s haul major butt. The 65cc even more so
    Great suspensions, but can get out of control fast if the boy gets on it. Only you and he knows his ability. They are also about 2x the price new or used compared to the Japanese brands.
  16. gee

gee Safety First

Oddometer:
    I've taught all three of my kids to ride and have owned an assortment of small bikes.

We started with a XR50 then progressed to a XR70, not much difference IMO, the next bike was a major step up, a little KX65, 6 speed, good suspension and it actually made a pretty good trail bike, next was a KX100, also a great bike and very trail worthy, I have pics of Evan riding the Alpine Trail at age 11 on the KX100.

I've also owned an XR80, XR100 and a TTR125, my girls were comfortable on those bikes but my son needed something with a little more umph.

My son is now 19, rides a TE300 and kicks my butt without much effort.

Trevor, enjoy this time, it goes by so fast and the memories are priceless, wish I could do "most" of it all over again.
  17. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey i think we were in moab the same weekend. I was on a ktm200 and my bud on a DRZ250. We were blown away by how fearless your lil guy was!

It was a rough riding weekend for me, just couldnt ever get the flow but great cool weather!

cheers! :freaky
  18. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 9 year daughter rides a TT-R110E. It might be a little big for him right now, but he could definitely grow into it. Four speed auto clutch with electric and kick start. Pretty basic suspension, but I'm 195lbs w/o gear and can ride it without bottoming out. It will do about 40mph (I'm guessing) with me on it.

It's great that you have him riding with you. Get a GoPro if you haven't already.
  19. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

The kids track bikes do poorly on the trail for most younger riders.

I did the honda xr 50 then 70 then add clutch 80 ..then to a yam ttr 125.

Kids bikes resale well.....buy the right size bike for today....sell and move up as he grows.

Also HIGHLY RECOMMEND you get helment bluetooth comm system

scott
  20. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Gettin' older Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys are lucky. Between soccer and baseball I don't have enough free time to spend on the motos with my boys. I bought an XR100 a couple years ago. My older boy was on it a few times and is now too big. He sitll isn't entirely comfortable on it. Not enough seat time and one minor wreck when he was 12.
    My younger one just turned 10 and it is still a little big for him. I wish I would have bought something smaller to start them on, but at this point I wouldn't want to downsize.
    I have been looking at the Oset or Kuberg electric trials bikes, though.....
    Have fun out there.