BMW 450 enduro (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Max Kool, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    Not got a Vernier Caliper to hand at the moment.

If you put the 450 forks in to the HP2, they would require a lighter spring & a revalve.

If you put HP2 forks in to the 450, you'd require a heavier spring & a revalve but also have an inferior fork in the 450. HP2 forks have rebound adjustment on one fork & compression on the other whilst the 450 has both adjustments on each fork.

Bikes are too different to make it econimically viable. You'd be better off using WP's from a 950/990 in the HP2 as you'd gain adjustability.
  2. Metteke

Metteke Beemer beat in me

Oddometer:
    I have seen these tools in the beginning of september... But it's true, ordering special tools from BMW might take a while.
    Are you sure they said they have to check the primary clutch? Can't remember to see that in the 10hr maintenance schedule. You have to take the engine out to do so, this seems at least strange every 10hrs.:huh

3. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if that makes the fork superior. Doesn't Ohlins or WP offer the same, separate compression/rebound per fork? Yamaha does IIRC.

No need for WP for HP2; I've already redone the forks on the HP2. The question was more to do with the fork diameter to ensure swapping was viable for revalves when required. Economic viablity isn't a consideration when owning a 450X and HP2.:huh
  4. evanphoto

evanphoto May G-d bless Evel

Oddometer:
    sorry to be such a loser, but i have a few questions.

i tried to fit the acerbis handguards and they are not fitting into the handlebars on the sides. do i have to cut down the bars a bit? if so, how much?

tightened the chain twice. have 6 hours on it. how long does it take for the chain to strech? or will i always be tightening it up?

i am going on a trip and have to do some highway. what time pressures would you guys reccommend? and when i get to the mud and rocks of the northeast usa then what should i drop them to? i usually ride 30/32 and 18/20. suggestions.
    thanks in advance and sorry these are a bit lame questions!
  5. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    sorry to be such a loser, but i have a few questions.

i tried to fit the acerbis handguards and they are not fitting into the handlebars on the sides. do i have to cut down the bars a bit? if so, how much?
    when you say it does not fit, is it too wide, or won't fit in the hole? If it is the hole issue, you need the smaller bolts that Acerbis makes..I think they come with the tapered bar mounting kit....
    tightened the chain twice. have 6 hours on it. how long does it take for the chain to strech? or will i always be tightening it up?It should be about done...Maybe once or twice more before it is worn out

i am going on a trip and have to do some highway. what time pressures would you guys reccommend? and when i get to the mud and rocks of the northeast usa then what should i drop them to? i usually ride 30/32 and 18/20. suggestions.

I would go with 18 front and 16 rear for the whole trip, or add 4lbs each end until you get to the offroad...just what I do anyway...
    thanks in advance and sorry these are a bit lame questions!
  6. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    Customer raced his 450 yesterday, got the white plastic rad guards torn off in thick brush / brambles, didn't realise it at the time. Shortly afterwards. the rad was holed by a stone thrown up by the bike in front.

Anyone know of an aftermarket set of stronger rad guards? Short term he'll be cable tying the guards in place to prevent a re-occurrence.
  7. brommer

brommer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Touratech has got new stuff voor the 450.
    haven't looked at it closly, but perhaps they have something.

Did you looked at the suspension setup at work?
  8. Timpo

Timpo NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer:
    Bizarre..... I was only looking at the lower rad tank last week, it is very exposed. So my plan (especially now!:eek1 ) is to cut a strip of rubber insertion sheeting, and fold it around the lower tank and thread a cable tie around through the rad fins and around the tank. This should keep stones from making contact with the tank surface itself.

Timpo.
  9. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    Just as well I'm at work now, thanks for the reminder.... :augie

It definitely states "Compression: open about 24 clicks"?

I'd set it to whatever the handbook says.

Rear sprockets are also available from 49 to 51 teeth, UK price is £28.41 each. Paperwork I've got states:

Enduro Riding: use 13/48 & shorten the chain by one link.

MX Riding: use 14/50 & use standard length chain.

I note that the inner mounting pegs on the rad guard attach to the centre plastic mesh. I think that if the centre mesh moves, then the rad guard pops out a little too easy? The rad guard mounting tabs on the edges of the radiator itself are quite large, easy to either wrap a cable tie around them and also to hold the outer rad guards to the centre mesh panel.
  10. brommer

brommer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you'd stick too the manual.

if i'm not mistaken the marzoggi have 44 clicks in total, so 24 could be midrange......

Yesterday a dutch offroad day, with lots of very hard bumps, small ones, but boy i was thankful that the suspension was a bit harsch when i hit the big "hole" it absorb lovely.

Im doing 15/48 en it feels ok(dutch enduro, very flat), perhaps 14/48 (had that on my drz)but 13/48 then the front wheel wont hit the ground anymore:rofl i'm afraid
  11. jasonTDI

jasonTDI TDI Guru

Oddometer:
    Companies update their system when the manufacturer sends them the data on new bikes. blame BMW. The thing is VERY new so not in their system. Same thing happens every fall with new cars.
  12. KrustyKustom

KrustyKustom Lets Go....

Oddometer:
    Got my G450X flyer in the mail today, at 8100 bucks MSRP I think it is priced right. That is just a tad less than a KTM 530, with just as quality components, maybe a little better in some departments.

It will be interesting to see what "demographics" buy this bike. Most guys who buy in this class do thier own wrenchin', efi throws a new twist in the mix. (I guess eventually all will be EFI).

Gotta take a test ride....
  13. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Krusty,

I may be in Houston this weekend riding...you are welcome to take a spin on my new 450X..May try Rio Bravo or Spring Creek, or???

I'll have a trailer full of bikes to play with!
  14. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
    Lets see some pictures of these bikes!
  15. Scurich

Scurich BMW Steve

Oddometer:

:thumb I agree! I have subscribed to this thread in hopes of seeing some good 450X photos, since I'm in CA and can't run over to my local dealer to drool... :cry

Bring on the photos, please.... :clap
  16. Timpo

Timpo NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer:
  17. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
  19. Timpo

Timpo NORTH WALES TRF.