BMW R1150RT / 1200RT / R1250RT Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    My splines are good!!!:happay:clap

[​IMG]

But I'm quite surprised that the motorcycle would move at all. Lots of oil contamination.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a mess! I've got quite a bit of cleaning to do. I thought this was going to be a weekend project, but that's not looking likely. Got to send Max some more money, forget a part or two and found some other stuff to do. Hopefully next weekend it will go back together.
  2. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    Mine is back on the road today. :D Ended up getting the Pilot 2's and I'm happy with them. Much better than the cupped front Bridgestone and squared off rear Shinko the bike had on it!
    I'm pleased with how easy the RT is to work on, this bike's a keeper.:wink:
  3. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping mine will be done some time this week. Had to order some more parts. Because of a mix-up at the dealer, they didn't get here until Friday. I should be able to get back to work on it tomorrow.

I've been wanting to try the PR3's, but no one has the size I need. Keep us informed of how the PR2's work over the long haul, I might go for them this time. The PR1's I have now have nearly 10,000 miles on them, but they are badly cupped.
  4. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:

:lurk

:thumb
  5. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    I tried to buy some PR3's today....no joy. :cry
  6. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    The trans is back in today. I only took a handful of pictures today, still have to upload them. Changed the rear main seals. (why are there two?) Basically you drill a small hole in the seal, thread a sheet metal screw into it and pull it out with a slide hammer. Then slide the new seals onto a well oiled soda can, cut the end off the can and slide it over the end of the crank.

I hope the clutch guts are lined up okay. Supposed to be offfset 120 degrees by the white marks. I could get maybe 90, 90, and 180. :fingerscrossed.
  7. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    It's starting to look like a motorcycle again. Your going to have to take my word for it though. I just wanted to get stuff done, so no pictures today. Slave cylinder in and bled, air box back in. What a PITA, everything has to be routed just so. Starter back in, drive shaft in, swing arm and shock in.

Also ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's. Competition Accesories didn't expect the 3's until the end of the month. Also got Dyna Beads on the way.
  8. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    for the past month or so(since the bad weather has broke) I've been commuting to work on it. I've managed to put about 5k miles on it since around Thanksgiving. Now that the weather is getting good I imagine the miles will really start piling on. I turned over 25k today and for some odd reason it tickled me just a little. If I keep commuting on it this summer then I imagine it will have somewhere around 35k by the time it cools off this fall/winter.

[​IMG]
  9. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    So all the oil was from the rear main seal then?
  10. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I was quite surprised to find that the rear main seal was dry. The oil was leaking past the rear input shaft seal, working it's way through the hollow input shaft and leaking out onto the friction disc. I've read that if the slave cylinder fails, brake fluid can damage the seal and cause the leak. But the fluid level in the master cylinder never changed.
  11. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    It's done!

Well, mostly. :D I still have to adjust valves, sync the throttle bodies and change the oil. I also have to replace the front tire. But I finished up to the point where I could test ride and check my work. Rode and ran very well. I'm happy with the results.

Here's what was done:

Siebenrock oil resistant clutch disc
    diaphragm spring
    pressure plate
    clutch cover
    spline lube
    both input shaft seals
    output shaft seals
    Slave cylinder
    rear main seals
    LS cam chain tensioner upgrade
    new rear tire Michelin Pilot Road 2

I will probably finish up the other few things sometime this week. I want to get out and ride tomorrow, it's been a while since this project began.
  12. TorontoDragon

TorontoDragon Just starting

Oddometer:
    Wooo hooooo! I just traded in my 950 Yamaha and bought a 2010 1200RT. It's still in the crate, but the dealership will have it together for me in a week. I can't wait to see what this bike can do
  13. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    prepare to be dazzled :eek1

After a week you'll wonder how you managed to ride any other bike. I still like a small bike for local riding when the weather is good but getting back on the rt is like getting into bed after a long day. :lol3

Congratulations :freaky
  14. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    Here are some pic's of yesterdays NH ride on my new to me '02 R1150RTP. The history is that the guy who I bought it from last November, bought it in CA and transported it to NH. I happened upon it while visiting to pick up a used part for my R12C and we worked out a deal.

I haven't done much to it other than ride it before winter for a couple of weeks, and took it out for it's first ride last weekend, 2nd ride yesterday. I added the Mototech bar risers and the right K12RS mirror, the left needs some fabrication to clear the high idle lever. I picked up a brake reservoir cover RAM mount yesterday. She's got over 100k on her so I'll be fixing one thing or another as time goes on. I really enjoyed my '99 LT but have been looking for a bike that is lighter with similar amenities. So far, I like the RT and look forward to perusing this thread for more info.
  15. ssm

ssm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a question for all the RT veterans. I picked up the one on the right to replace the one on the left.

[​IMG]

Obviously the abs thing is new and something I really wanted. What I'm really curious about is are the linked brakes. I am used to using both brakes on the 'strom. Does using the linked hand brake and the rear brake pedal together make any difference. I would like to continue doing so just in case I ride another bike it would still be second nature. Are they designed so you are supposed to only use the hand brake?
  16. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I use both hand and foot brake, just out of habit. Sometimes if I just need to slow a bit I might just tap the foot brake. It doesn't feel like I'm getting the full stopping power, like when I use both. YMMV, though since your 1200 may differ from my 1150. On some makes, using the rear brake may only activate a portion of the front brakes. Using the front brake may only activate a portion of the rear. Not sure how BMW works it.
  17. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    I use both brakes same as any other bike. You will certainly notice the different braking characteristics of the R/T, the lack of front end dive and the overall better braking performance are most noticable when compaired to my other bikes.
  18. Ziploc

Ziploc Seeking adventure on- and off-road

Oddometer:
    AFAIK, on our '09R12RT the front lever operates the front and rear brakes simultaneously. The foot pedal only activates the rear brake. If I step on the rear while squeezing the front, I can sometimes feel the rear ABS kick in and push back on the pedal (telling me that that's too much rear braking force). Unless I'm riding slow in a parking lot and turning, I always just use the front lever. The system works flawlessly for me. Amazing brakes (sorta like Amazing Grace).
  19. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made this identical switch a couple seasons ago - you will find the RT to be a Most Awesome well rounded replacement for your Strom and the brakes are Excellent !

Enjoy your RT :freaky! !
  20. ssm

ssm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The brakes are amazing. Never thought poorly of the V-strom brakes but these are much better. Took our first two-up ride today. Sweet.