Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    100% of Baja Califonia, North and South is "free zone. No permit needed. The Sonora free zone is from Aqua Prieta sotht to Hwy 2 and West to the coast and every thing west of Hwy 15 to Enpalme. You do need a visa to be be in Mexico beyond the border for more that 24 hrs.
  2. Snownut

Snownut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great! So for a week visit a visa is needed, but as long as its strictly Baja not a TVIP.. Thank you!
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe it is just a case of words and names of documents differing .In Ontario there is no word like "title " applied to the drivers license. The Ontario" vehicle permit" consists of two parts ,one half is the 'vehicle portion" the other half is the "plate portion". On the back of "vehicle portion" are the forms to be filled out by the buyer and the seller if one sells the vehicle and instructions as to what to do with those bits .
    So perhaps that is what the gringos refer to as the "title' . A very simple setup and works like a charm at the borders. Likelyhood of somebody getting their name on your bike's ownership is next to nil without your cooperation and signature. Outright theft is a different matter.
    .Other provinces may vary, void where prohibited by law.
  4. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    About 5 years ago I did a ride from USA to Costa Rica and back. I can't remember which countries required seeing my "original title" but one or more did. I can remember that one country would not accept a color copy of my title. I'm almost sure that one of the countries that required my title was Costa Rica.

Have a great trip. The Central America people are wonderful.

TravelGuy:clap
  5. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    FYI, by Law, starting November 2012, in México, Motorcycles pay 50% on toll highways. Fight back if they charge you as a regular vehicle.
  6. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Read back a few posts Arte, we've been discussing that. I know the government run roads will be discounted, but is it compulsory for the private tolls too? I feel like I got a mix through the 6 tolls I used yesterday. 2 or 3 different operators.
  7. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    Yes, I know there are still some roads that argue the stupid argument that are not under federal regulation.

But the law is the law and it applies for the whole country toll roads. No matter what. So I know is matter of some time to have the cuota fully applied on all the country.
  8. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a bunch of peso misers!
  9. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Should be an inmate on this thread. In charge of all things fiscal. Holder of all monetary gnurr.
  10. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  12. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    The name of the place is a little off-putting, but it looks great. From the sound of the FB page, the owner has what it takes to market a restaurant/bar and then follow up delivering the goods.
  13. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Dennis what are your travel plans. Do tell.
  15. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing exciting. Wife and I are flying down there. We do this usually for Christmas; however this year we're waiting until Jan 21 and spending two weeks instead of one. I usually rent a bike for a day or two and get a little ride in south of town, just down the highway.
    As I said, nothing exciting.
  16. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Well, the link Bill posted looks fabulous. Yes, please take your camera there, take some photos, and let us know if the place is as good in real life as it looks online. If you remember, tell the owner we're talking about the place here. Maybe he'll have a photo corner of ADV-ers passing through. That would be kinda fun, like Norton Rat's in Cusco, Peru. I was in there last summer and there were mementos from riders from all over. It was fun.
  17. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am looking forward to checking the place out although I am not a big craft beer fan. I have always liked most Mexican beers anyway.
    I had considered riding one of the bikes, but since its winter I might have some issues crossing mountains and I'm just not into cold . Wife's gonna fly anyway.
  18. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
  19. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am meeting my daughter in Villahermosa on 12/15. I will be on the moto and she will be in a taxi. (Pillion seat is off and I have no gear for her and I don't want her hanging out with motorcyclists anyway :evil ). Anyone have any recommendations of places to stay and things to do around Villahermosa before we go over to Palenque on 12/19 for a few days. Maybe this is not the place to be asking this. Should I be on the trip planning thread? Thanks.
  20. George 99

George 99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got this link from the round-the-world Tough Miles guys. It covers their Mainland Mexico trip a couple weeks ago. #16 (which you can access thru the link) covers Baja.

I recommend folks who like such stuff read 1 thru 15 as well. Just the pics of the bridges in Siberia are worth the whole read.