1200GS rear tire problem

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by strykerpro, Aug 19, 2014.

1. strykerpro

strykerpro Git R Dun

Oddometer:
    I had a rear flat tire on my 2011 R1200GS Conti TKC 80 with less than 200mi on it. I’m sure I caught a sliver of shale while riding some gnarly trails in the Olympics on the outside knobby and slightly down the sidewall and I mean ever so slightly down the SIDE of the knobby. It’s way too wide for plugs of any kind so I patched it and thought it would be ok. Nope flat again a few miles down the trail. Figured my patch job sucked so put another patch more carefully lots of scraping and roughing up the tire, let the glue get sticky on tire and patch and wouldn’t you know it didn’t work. Patched it 3rd time for shits and grins and yea... no. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I didn’t have a tube so rode it 15mi to town and towed it back home. Now there’s steel belts ever so slightly protruding inside the tire so I’m sure a tube wouldn’t last. Don’t know if there is a work around for this dilemma but feel free to tell me wrong.<o:p></o:p>
    Now before you think I’m cherry at fixing flats, I’ve repaired 104 flats on TKC’s or was it 105, anyway I know it was a cherry mistake not to bring a tube but I can’t be perfect every single day of the year!<o:p></o:p>
    Any thoughts on why the patch wouldn’t hold up... Is it because it’s just too close to the side wall? I go through 3-4 sets of TKC 80's a year because of the trail riding I do. Hoping to salvage the tire...but...<o:p></o:p>
    :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry
  2. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Roughing things up and letting the glue dry, all good but was there anything contaminating the surface ? Could be as silly as residual mounting lube....dish soap....WD40...etc etc...!!!

For old time's sake I did practice patching last winter....I cleaned the surface with acetone before applying the glue. Or was it Naphtha/Coleman gas? Either should work. I think the Naphtha smells closer to the dedicated product we used at the shop back in the 70's.
  3. strykerpro

strykerpro Git R Dun

Oddometer:
    Well, I did wipe it down real good, didnt use any petrol to clean it but it seemed ok. Thanks for the input :ear:ear:ear

4. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I have been wondering about "petrol"....I'll try that next winter when I do show&tell with my friend, he needs a little practice at patching.

Someone may tell if "petrol" works as in won't leave a residue that may screw up the glue job. Easy enough to dip a rag in the tank. Otherwise I may just throw a little bottle of solvent in my toolkit.I used to but that's when my bike leaked oil, not leaking anymore so I have been forgetting the Naphtha. White gas for you guys who call gasoline "petrol".:1drink
  5. DieselFxr

DieselFxr Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the tire is not repairable to me. Maybe if it was used off road only. I sure wouldn't want to be cruising at highway speeds with it.
  6. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Show us pics, please. That'll help out with things.
  7. strykerpro

strykerpro Git R Dun

Oddometer:
    I know. Im trying to avoid the obvious. I ordered a new set today. Got a good deal front and rear for $280 to my door

8. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Two things working against you here.

Sounds like it is on the side if I am reading this correct

AND

Steel belts are showing, no matter what you do the structure of the tire is compromised and more you ride it the more the damaged belts will continue to break.

Not the best combination of a two wheeled conveyance.

Personally once the belts start to show in a tire time to let it go and move on.

Just my .02
  9. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    The tire's integrity is compromised so get a new one and just right it off to experience. Slate or shale will slice the side of the tires faster that the tread. :wink: