Electric Trials bike ...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by whitham_wannabe, May 4, 2013.

1. whitham_wannabe

whitham_wannabe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wanted to start up a discussion on here about Electric Trials bikes and what realistically riders would want from them before considering forking over their hard earned cash for one. I mean, we would all love a bike that would run all day on solar power alone, but lets get real here ... That ain't going to happen. So what do you want? What would stop your making a purchase?

What are your thoughts ?:ear
  2. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right now the expense and life of the batteries is what stops me from wanting an electric bike. Those batteries are very expensive when it's time to replace them.
  4. PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think I could ride a bike that didn't make noise. Until I'm forced to do that, I'll be on a smoker!
  5. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    I read your review, and looked up the site and such. Pretty impressive, and I'd buy one, if I had the money. I'm hoping to ride the Nationals here in AZ, and hoping someone brings one with. The torque of electric motors is perfect for trials, just look at the OSET. One of our locals who tips the scales in the 230 range was riding his kids, with his kid on his lap, and having a good time. I wouldn't have guessed the suspension could take it, but... The range we generally need (Ute Cup not so much) makes it possible if not optimal with current battery technology. From the look of the EM75, a battery swap might take you all of 5 minutes, and as you said, might go all day. I think sound is likely the next thing to get us kicked out of the woods. We already have to ride exclusively on private land to ride "cross country" and be legal, and I can see that going away pretty soon. Convincing bureaucracy of the difference between an open pipe 450 and a trials bike putting around seems like a long shot, it only takes one neighbor making a stink. Speaking of which, how much mechanical noise did that EM75 produce? Chain slap etc?

I say bring it on, but I can't afford to be an early adopter, good thing my trusty 300 is still ticking
  6. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You really don't miss the engine sound while you are riding it.It's strangely reassureing to hear the suspension and tires working over the changing terrain.The motor makes a growl and you don't really hear the chain very much.The really strange (and very effective) part of it is the ability to stop it on a steep incline with only the throttle.No need to clutch or brake.
  7. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    This.

Not this.

8. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me guess, your car has an automatic transmission in it as well?

The first electric car I ever drove (real one on the roads) still had a clutch and a 5-speed transmission. OK, it was really a truck. Converted S10 with a bed full of golf cart batteries back in the 90's. But still had a clutch and gears to shift through.

How do you score for a stalled engine with an electric trials bike?
  9. PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I don't know how you'd do that. Makes it unfair
  10. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Can you even stall an electric trials bike? I can't see that as possible unless a fuse blows and you end up pushing your bike out of the section... :rofl
  11. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride with a guy that made his own eclectic Trials bike. {ecotrials}
    Anyway he has the advantage of not being called for stalling the motor.
    However it all washes out in the end. He does not have a clutch for larger obstacles. anyway he has been riding it with the Sac. Pits. for several years and he keeps upgrading various parts and now is building a twin shock one. check out his web site.
  12. nicktulloh

nicktulloh n00b

Oddometer:
    Score for a stalled engine? Huh?

Trackstand and kick it - no penalty. I don't understand the question.
  13. nicktulloh

nicktulloh n00b

Oddometer:
    Rumor has it that Oset will be selling an adult bike next year. I'll buy one in a heartbeat. The power of the 20.0 (my son has one) is plenty, just need room for my 6'3". I'll be selling my '07 Sherco if the rumors are true.

I don't get the noise comments. I love the sound of race motors but on the street or on the track recreationally, loud motors (exhausts) suck.
  14. thegraydog

thegraydog 2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer:
    hmmm, you resurrected a lapsed thread here....

Dale Malasek rode a GG-based electric bike of his own configuration at the Arizona Nationals. He offered rides, which I missed. A friend said it has very sudden acceleration and is the most powerful trials bike he has ridden.

I asked Dale if he had talked this over with Lance Butler, an NMTA expert rider and an e-bike geek. He said they'd be sharing truths at the NM Nationals.

And then there's Hannah Butler, a veteran e-bike pilot and a perennial on the New Mexico circuit. Ask her how to manage the thrust and traction...

Re: noise: if you coast you know the sound of a bike without a motor. But an e-bike makes the noise of spinning a tire going uphill! Momentarily surprising.
  15. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was that my quote about the power?
    Yes, I did a quick lap around the pits. It felt like pushing a bike that is in neutral. Lined it up where there was a straight shot as I didn't know what to expect. Then roll on some juice and it feels like you are in an upper gear. I asked Dale and he said it was about the equivalent to being in 3rd. But the torque is insane even at speed. No way could I open it up even at speed. The clutch was wired to give a percentage of the throttle setting, so you still have a clutch lever and it still does something. Watched Dale ride and it does work in the sections. Given the prototype status that it is in, and dealing with prototype cars for a living I can see that this bike does have strong potential.

At one point I had to give an extra warning to other riders in the section as it didn't sound like anyone was actually riding through.

Dale, thanks again for the test ride!

-Tim
  16. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    I believe you can order a Kuberg now for September delivery.
  17. thegraydog

Oddometer:
    Meschede. Yes, it wants to loop, he said. Good review, Tim.
  18. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The EM bike is cool. I want one. But I won't pay a premium for anything that is less or even the same performance as a gasser until the gubmint makes me. You wanna cut emissions, go put pressure on China. TBs have a tiny tank for a reason.

When I can get an E-bike for the same cost, or even a bit more and it is justified by higher performance somehow (more torque or traction or smoother?) or is equal, but quieter and cleaner and less maintenance, then I will be ready to buy.

Maybe only a few years out. But for $10K now? Why? That's like driving a Prius, it rarely pencils out.
  19. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Did the bike have multiple power settings, or a manual clutch?
  20. thegraydog

Oddometer:
    The clutch lever pulled a cable wrapped around a rheostat! Dale said he had someone working on a digital version. Bronco, what say?