Hot start, slow crank problem

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by WoodButcher, Aug 13, 2011.

1. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    After refueling ?
    Could be the evap system. Charcoal cannister is saturated and the vapors have no where to go.
    Look there if the battery is not the issue.
  2. XPLORZ

XPLORZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    g_e_young, what proved to be the solution to your problem? I also have an '09 that is starting to crank slow in hot-start conditions; ie, riding twelve miles and stopping to get fuel, then starting again. Mine is still on the original battery though.
  3. grpweld

grpweld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was convinced Mine had a bad starter after several battery checks looked good. I took it in (under warantee) showed the service manager the print out of the battery & tried to convince him that it was the starter:norton
    Man was I wrong! they put in a battery & it has been fine ever since. I guess the batteries on a GS get hot! & when they are going bad the heat exposes the weekness!
  4. XPLORZ

XPLORZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response GRP. Yeah, in my ZX12r every two and a half years the battery failed in the same way, fire up ok, ride to get fuel, shut off, pump gas, then click, click, click. At least the GS started.
  5. g_e_young

g_e_young Born to ride

Oddometer:
    Well, I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, since I've got 6 months left on the warranty and I'm sort of waiting for more problems to take it in. I might do it next week though so I'll keep you posted. It's still behaving the same way as when I got it 5 months ago. It always starts, but it barely cranks and the battery light flashes so I'm sure something aint right. Also, I really only see the problem if the bike is totally warmed up and has been running at least 20 minutes.

g-
  6. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, those were my symptoms. The new starter they put in way back when I had the problem is working fine and I'm still on the original battery.
  7. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    These motors are very high compression, and if you have excess carbon, it can be trying to ignite leftover fumes before the spark occurs.

Here is an easy test. Disconnect tubes from charcoal, you will reconnect later, and cap throttle body with tape. Then ride until hot, rev engine to about 4000 and turn off key. This will purge any leftover vapors. Then let sit refuel time and try to restart. It if restarts, you have compression ignition occurring. Now you can reconnect the canister and repat the experiment. If it now kicks back, you may have malfunction solenoid valve and or saturated carbon. If not then do a normal shut down and restart. If you get kickback, then try tecktron, 1/3 bottle per tank, for 3 tanks and see if gets better. If none of this helps, then you have bad battery and or starter.

Rod
  8. XPLORZ

XPLORZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I always run Chevron with Techron, wouldn't I have already completed the end of the test without doing the first part? :wink:
  9. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would disconnect the vacuum canister to rule it out. . The gasoline contains very little additive, some extra can help.

It may well be the starter, these tests are much easier to run.

Rod
  10. XPLORZ

XPLORZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a follow-up, I replaced my battery and now I have "not been able to replicate the problem". :evil So for now, I am considering it "problem solved". Thank all for the help. I will update if the problem resurfaces.