I am sold on Triumphs after seeing this...

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by StreetfghtR, Oct 7, 2012.

1. booth99

booth99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those aftermarket swing arms look exactly like the stock swing arm on my chain driven 800XC. Only mods I can see are ohlins suspenion , tires, slip on exhaust, skid plate and a bad paint job.
  2. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me and my friends reviewed those videos in details (loved it) and despite I would not base choice of bike on video most of allegations in some posts above bear no relation to reality. Specially comment about "swingarm and chain drive" - because Tiger 800 DOES have chain drive and this swingarm! Stock, for God sake :rofl

There was no "many bikes to go through" as you can easily idenitfy them on video. I see just 2 same bikes through, unless they can perfectly match bad paintjob and some components location etc.
    There is not much mods to bikes either. Basically - simple basic mods available no anyone, as mentioned by Booth99. Except at least 1 of 2 bikea does not sport Ohlins front even. Just shock. Watch video and you'll see.

Saying that - it is in riders of course.
  3. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On that basis there's not much you can say about all the guys that went out and purchased BMW's after watching Charlie and Ewan!

That said, it's hard not to be impressed by the Tiger XC.
  4. Yani

Yani b00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was talking to the owner of the moto shop I go to about this video. He claims that when the icon rep was at his shop he told him that they used 4 bikes and that there was Triumph mechanics on site during the whole thing pulling their hair out and wrenching on them. He also claimed the rep told him they filmed it all in Oregon.

Just some scuttlebutt though. Don't know how true it is
  5. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not difficult to guess it was not Dakar or Chile :) It was specially made kinda..clear in video, no? It takes a bit longer than helicopter ride to get to Brazil or Chile...

There is no doubt with this kind of riding they did have constant tech support on the ground etc.
    But even if they used 4 bikes - ones in at least 90% of shots where you can make it out are same two by looks of it. Perhaps they messed up 2 first, then used 2 spare to make clean shots. I wonder how many riders they used :)

For me it was more about bikes reaction to that kind of terrain and speeds. Kinda surprisingly composed. I guess many other bikes would look same good in similar video.
    One thing they failed to do - to properly promote their gear...despite that was objective :lol3
  6. Black09JK

Black09JK Adventurer

Oddometer:

My mistake. I just read on Triumphs website that they were 800XC's in the vid. I assumed they were 1200's.:baldy
  7. orv

orv Busted butt Supporter

Oddometer:
    --------------
    Check out the credits at the end for locations and rider's names. Great riding on quite close to stock bikes. Not like "did you see a Camray won a NASCAR race last night?" The "Camray" had a stock nameplate on the front...nothing else was stock.
  8. AlaskaFish

AlaskaFish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The helicopter used in the film is one that is currently based right here in Oregon. Plus a lot of the countryside shots could be Oregon from the looks of them.

John
  9. High Desert Rider

High Desert Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They got my attention. I've been looking for some good waterproof gear, as it looks like I'll be commuting all winter via motorsickle. About 15 minutes in I paused the movie and googled Icon Raiden.
  10. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, in this case I must admit - this is full success :) not only good video but objective achieved.

BTW - one of guys I know tested that jacket in real life by wearing it on long distance tour (ending in Finland) this summer and it held good - except for when it was hot. Seems to be unsuitable for hot days.
  11. StreetfghtR

StreetfghtR Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    What a beauty :knary
  13. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    So if we carefully follow suggested "huge" list of sponsors
    LeoVince - exhaust. Not top one - not carbon. Guess needed something a bit stronger.
    Ohlins - rear shock and MAY BE springs in forks.
    Continental - tyres
    Saddleman - seats
    Rotopax - canister
    PIAA - bulbs?
    GoPro - cameras
    Galfer - brake pads (since disks seems stock)
    KN -filters
    Rox - risers
    AltRider - sump guard and possible sidestand extenders
    StudBoy - studs for spiky tires
    Ballistic - battery
    Parts Unlimited - could be anything, but I do not see that anything on photos and video. Perhaps it is consumables - sprockets, chains, oil.

This does not sound to me as hugely modified bikes function-wise. That sounds like bike I can make from my Tiger (God forbid that paintjob etc) with costs under 1000 euro.
    Interesting
  14. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Tiger :viking Competition
  15. Danno88

Danno88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want one too. Of course, I ride an 04 and am a bit bias already. That boss guy was hilarious. The line, "You're the best of the best. Actually, you're the best. New guy is best of the best that was available, on short notice, on a weekend". That was some funny stuff....
  16. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I highly doubt you can do this for under 1000 EUR. Under 2000, sure, but 1k is too low, just the suspension will cost you at least that.
  17. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wilbers rear shock - 540 Euros with discount (Race 46 series) - double circuit, super fully adjustable, really nice with 5 years warranty. This is what I paid recently for one for my previous bike, price is same across range. 640 without discount. I like it (from experience) WAY more than Ohlins. Ohlins rear cost 740 Euros here (for Tiger).
    Springs front - 100 Euros max. Those are stock forks, so I guess they changed springs.
    Subtotal for suspension 640. Add some oil? Ok, 660 Euros
    KN filter 90 euros (don't really need it)
    I already have:
    LeoVince (already have it) 290 Euro tops for aluminium but I have carbon one
    Sump guard (Triumph) came with the bike
    Rox Risers - paid 80 Euros, already have them.
    Fog lights - I have ones from Vendors section, LED - cost me 107 Euros delivered.
    With what I already have I just need suspension and KN filter. But I do not really need them. Fine with way it is at the moment. Specially I really don't like KN filters...
  18. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Okay, you have stuff for around 400 to 500 already, and you substituted a Wilbers for the Oehlins. I only know this price for Oehlins:

http://www.solotriumph.com/triumph-tiger-800/suspension

Then the front springs might be around 100Eur but you have to either install them yourself (most people can't) or have them installed by a suspension shop which then can also just go ahead and put proper valving in - make that 300. Suspension alone is then around 1200.

I have a front Traxxion AK-20, but I wouldn't exclude it from the price when I'm thinking of building up a Tiger "properly". Rear suspension is due coming spring, not sure what to get though. Wilbers, Penske, ... Some good options out there.
  19. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ANY Adv bike with that much customization and dialing in would be real nice.

With that said, the new Triumphs are awesome machines.... Money does not allow for me to switch from the beast I currently ride, if it did I'd be seriously looking at these bikes. Triple one'a the best motors available. Half of a Straight six which is one of the the best mechanical piston layouts made.
  20. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I trust your prices correct for that country but seems a bit different with prices here.
    957 Euros without tax is crazy price, but 160 of it at least is remote preload adjuster that I never use on my bikes.
    And it is shop in Spain...not best place price-wise.
    Last time I did this...let me see... revalving, machining cartidges down, reducing travel by 30 mm respringing and re-oiling my forks for previous bike fit into 400 Euros for me.All inclusive parts and labor by pro shop in Germany. Out of this 95 euros springs, new seals, machining cartridges for limiting stroke, revalving...etc.
    So 200 with springs tops if I do not do it myself. But I will - as I said, I can do it in my garage :wink:

I got 4 kids and mortgage and wife without work :lol3 so I finding my way around by finding bargains :lol3

PS - just checked...
    Here us Performance parts prices for Ohlins - as you can see

http://www.pureperformancecycles.co...ins-TR120-Shock-Absorber--11--12-Tiger-800-XC

That's already 910 Euros for same shock Spanish shop sells for 957....
    I can tell you I seen some online shops in UK selling it for 1200 Euros. Seriously.
    Another reason I do not like to go for Ohlins. Sellers riding on brand...it's a rip-off. And for real life IMO Wilbers is better.